XBOX 360 Audio Help Needed :'(

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Moriarty, May 13, 2011.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    *bangs head against wall*

Guys...lend me your ears. Or if you don't have functional ears, lend me your hearing dogs. We bought my father an XBox 360 (slim, 4gb, wireless version) for his birthday today. Knowing beforehand that he would want to use it with his computer monitor (as he already has two monitors set up in his gaming pad) we also went ahead and bought this cable. We set up the Xbox this morning, running the video through the VGA port and the sound through the red/white + jack into the line-in.

And lo, there was video.

...And no sound.

After swearing quite a bit and using several techniques found via Google and YouTube, we've hit a total brick wall.

Firstly, we tried the trick of running the Xbox -> audio line-in cable into the back of his sound card, then plugging a (working) pair of speakers into the line-out, and making sure that Windows was running in the background with the line-in unmuted. Didn't work.

We then tried just running the line-in directly into his speaker's headphone port, and there was still no sound.

So then we brought the Xbox downstairs and plugged it into the telly via the Xbox -> red/white/yellow -> scart adaptor cable the Xbox is provided with, and everything was fine. We had audio and video, and mucked around on the Orange Box a little before sobering up.

The problem, as far as I can see, would be in one of three separate components:

1. The monitor speakers are broken. We tried running a direct line from the computer to the monitor directly, and we had no sound. But I don't know if that was because the old cable Dad found was also borked.
    2. The red/white -> audio line-in adaptor the cable linked above came with is broken.
    3. The entire audio side head of the cable linked above is broken, as the VGA works fine.

Please, if you have any ideas/suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em. We can't keep the Xbox plugged in down here, and Dad is desperate to get crackin' on some Portal 2.

Thanks in advance for your time/help!

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sounds like the audio on the monitor is broken or disabled.
    I may be missing something, but if you plugged the same wires into the TV and it worked, then plugged them into the monitor and they didn't, then the point of failure should be with the monitor.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Did you check the volume/mute/enabled settings on the monitor speakers? They might have an on/off button.

4. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Do you have a photo of the Monitor inputs?

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If you're running both L&R through the your line-in audio with the extra piece try unplugging either L or R. That fixed the problem for me.
    It does mean it only plays through one speaker, but that worked for my dinosaur speakers anyway.

6. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Switch to HDMI cables, they take out all that color coded nonsense and wrap it all in a single, tidy wire.

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I believe the point is that his monitor doesn't have an HDMI input, explaining why they bought the specialty cable.

8. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    I just went and reread her post and didn't see any mention of that.

9. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Did you click on the link? Also, I doubt anyone would purchase a specialty cable to intentionally avoid using an available HDMI input.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you swtich to different inputs? Sometimes my 360 does that or loses its color, and all I have to do is switch to a different input and go back, then it's fine.

11. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    As a matter of fact, I did. What good exactly does that do as this discussion goes? All it shows is the cable she purchased.

Even so, like I said, no where in her post does it say anything about NOT having the input. She sounds new to the game, hence why she is asking questions. So knowing that, maybe she doesnt know about HDMI, hmm? Possible. Yes.

12. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Yes, we purchased the speciality cable because my Dad's monitor is a first generation LCD, so it didn't have a HDMI port. I'm also not "new to the game", BlackMagnus, I'm just not very good with cables and female and male connections and stuff like that. I've been a gamer all my life. =/

Anyway, thank you those of you who suggested stuff! =3 The monitor speakers were broken. We dashed out and bought a cheap pair from Tesco's, then tried running the audio through the computer via the sound card, and it's worked! Just means Dad has to keep his PC on whilst Xboxing, but we can remedy that situation closer to Christmas (we're on a limited budget D: ).

Thanks again for all of the help and support. Fictional cookies for everyone!

13. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    Well thanks for clearing that up, you first post was devoid of those facts. I did say, sounds new, not is new.