xbox 360 arcade vs. pro

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Grimwing, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I did a search and could not find a thread similar to this.
    So Getting down to business, I'm in the market to get a xbox 360.
    But I'm not looking to play xbox live at all.

I can get a new arcade system where I work for $180 (256 mb card)or a pro for $260 (60 gb hard drive).
    The arcade comes with the 5 arcade games disk but I don't think the pro comes with anything.

Which machine do you have and why do you think its better? The pro or the arcade.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You need a hard Drive one way or another, and MS charges a lot for their HDs so you'll end up spending the same. You'll also need that HD for updates and patches on games, so you'll need to be on Live in some shape or form. Also, you will want to try some games before you buy them and Live has demos that will not fit on 256mb card. So even though the low price is tempting, you will end up spending $260 one way or another.

In the words of Ash, "it's a trick, get an axe."

3. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

You can fill up a memory card real fast so snagging a 80gb dont hurt too badly.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and 80 bucks more to have an 80 gig HD is a great deal, because you will want to cram that machine with demos, games, music, etc etc.

5. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

just remember when your xbox360 dies with 3 months just to send the CONSOLE back and NOT the console with the Harddrive. My friend did that and they never returned his harddrive

truth is you best waiting and saving your cash and getting a ps3. its way more expensive but at least Sony made sure it WORKS and doesnt breakdown with 3 months. In the last 2 years i had to send my 360Pro back 8 TIMES
    i liked the games but got fed up of the bastard machine crashing every few months. The Red Ring of Death is a serious bitch.
    I sold my 360 and saved up for afew months to get a ps3 and havent had a single problem yet

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah but by now he would be buying the new Xboxes and those are supposedly a lot better at not frying than the earlier ones, so thats not really a valid argument if he has particular games that he wants to play on the Three Fiddy. I was pretty pissed when my second 360 died, and I am very scared of putting hours into Fable and Star Ocean, but I've risked more for less, hehe

7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Microsoft has it's holiday bundles now so you may want to look at that too...

The Arcade comes with the Live Arcade (5 games) and Sega Superstars Tennis

The Pro now comes with the hard drive (I think it's actually a 60 gig, not an 80) and Lego Indiana Jones / Kung Fu Panda.

Even if you don't plan on going online a lot some games do pretty large installs to avoid long loading times, for those games you will need a hard drive...also to help combat RROD there is an update that will allow the games to run straight from the HD IIRC.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought MS didn't allow for partial game installs, which is why Mass Effect looks like Ass sometimes.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

My PS3 broke the day I got it. My 360 lasted 2.5 years, most problems seem to have been resolved.

Go with the Pro, especially if you have an HD TV since the Arcade only comes with a composite cable and the Pro has both composite (yellow) and component (Blue/Green/Red for HD). Official cables will run you $30- $40 or you could just buy a cheap HDMI cable for either system.

They don't just HD cacheing(?) which helps a lot of games with loading but is wiped if you use another game that uses the cache.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The Arcade isn't dubbed the "'tard pack" for fun...

11. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i actually got a new xbox360 from microsoft as they told me it kept breaking down on them when they tried to fix it. they told me they were sending me a newer model....4 months later and it was dead! RROD yet again!
    Im sorry but Microsoft have let this issue go on way to long. The original Xbox is a fantastic machine and very relyable yet the 360 is almost like a game of Russian Roulette half the time, will it come on when i press the switch or will i get RROD?

i just got sick of that feeling every time i turned the machine on and the last machine i got WAS the newer model and that broke. I find it funny because i actually won £20 off my Girlfriends brother about this. He purcahsed a 360Pro and a ton of games and he kept going on about how great the 360 is. I put a bet with him that it would be dead within 4-5 months and on saturday we went over to see him as his wife is pregernat, suprise suprise his 360 was dead and that was the newer model also.

honestly save your cash an get a ps3, it costs alot more but im much happier having a console that i know will come on when i press the on switch. There are hardly an exlusive titles these days anyway so your best getting the ps3 either way since its more relyable console and that coming from SONY after all the crap the original ps2 consoles gave us... well its a high achivement from Sony really

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah but you say that like it's the norm.

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Personally if a game is available on both systems, it gets bought for the PS3...that may not help...but it couldn't hurt :p 

14. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

if your any good at MODDING then you can buy an extra large cooling fan from modchipfitters and install it yourself. you basically put it over the processor and it acts as an extra cooler and helps the machine last abit longer

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

And invalidates your warranty.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah but this isn't a "should I buy a PS3 or 350" thread, it's "Which model of a 360 should I get", so while the PS3 advice is cool, like Twin-Twist under pressure, that's not what the guy is asking for.

17. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

yeah but half the time your best fixing your 360 yourself because microsoft take 2-3 weeks in some cases to send you your console back. i found it was much cheaper in some cases to fix the machine myself as i have done it with afew peoples broken down consoles. A large cooling block for the processor really helps the machine last longer and a new more powerful powerpack with a larger fan helps it last even longer

360 is a cheap console at the moment and has good games on it but think to yourself - do i really wana have to worry if the machines going to come on evertime i press the ON button?-
    yeah the 360 is cheap but its also cheaply designed and brakes down way to much. i liked the games but just got fed up on the console breaking all the time. really microsoft should have fixed this issue within the first 4months but instead they just ignore it happens

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

No, thats just my experience. For me Sony has always been shoddy, one big PS2 that quit working, my PS3, a PSP that can't have WiFi on or it freezes and shuts down after 60 seconds and both the slim PS2s that I gave to my brother-in-law had the plug in for the power cable go bad. Its not the norm but its my experience and it was much easier to get my 360 replaced than it was going to to get my PS3 through Sony.

I know 360s break a lot, but mine hasn't and mine was a near launch system. I was just replying to his answer to a question that wasn't asked. The guy wanted to know which version of the 360 he should get and the guy brought up what is basically a non-issue for the most part. They do fail but you're pretty covered, it does suck to be without a console for two weeks but MS is really good about getting them fixed.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

pro all the way. at some point you WILL need a hdd, better to get raped in one big go than on 2 seperate occasions.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, aside from the PS2 having problems, the others haven't been headlines in the news. Every system is going to have issues, no one is without blame (even my holy gamecube broke), but MS has spent Billions to compensate for this mistake, so while some PSPs have issues with wi fi and some PS2s had disc read errors, both Xbox and 360 have had issues (even the special Bill Gates edition original Xbox I got for free years ago broke within a week "how embarassing"). And these issues have been big enough to even induce the joke of "Red Rings of Death". There is no Wi Fi of doom for PSP because there are simply not nearly as many people with issues on that platform, and hardly any on PS3. Go to any game store and ask how many people come back with broken PS3s and PSPs vs 360s.

And MS is good about getting them fixed because it's their ass if they aren't. They do have a better system replacement center, but they kinda have to after spending billions on it.

and seeing as how MS has been very strict about download size on arcade games and such, 80 gigs will last you a long time.