Xbox 360 A Little Less Elite

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The new Xbox 360 Elite is startign to show it's face. Now with a shiny new price tag of $299. Problem is, for people who are familiar with the 360's, the packaging is now a bit lighter. Gone is the included HDMI cable and gone is the included Component cables. Replaced with the standard composite (non-HD capable) cables.

[​IMG]

Why Hello, $299 Xbox 360 Elite - xbox 360 elite - Gizmodo
    Xbox 360 Pro missing from new Elite packaging

Why remove something that they've held over Sony's head since the beginning of this generation?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they're Microsoft and it only matters when Sony does it.

"We have a Broken Backwards Compatibility, and the games we do support don't all work."

That's ok, you're not Sony, so we forgive you.

"We don't supply you with a Wireless adapter, but you can buy one for 100 bucks more,"

That's ok, you're not Sony, so we'll spend the extra 100 while making fun of those Sony shmucks for paying 100 bucks more for their dumb system.

"Not all our systems come with a controller charger."

Bah, what's 20 bucks more for a USB cable, at least you're not Sony.

"Yeaaaahhh, and we kinda released our system early to beat Sony, so 50% of you guys might not have a fully-working system"

We know you had our better interest in mind, MS, because you'll repair it for free, no matter how many times it happens

"Even if it happens 4 times."

Yes...even if it happens 4 times.

"We're bringing the price down on our Elite, but we aren't including an HDMI."

That's ok,

"But we made fun of Sony for not including it with theirs."

But that's Sony, so it's ok.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can forgive the lack of wireless because this console shipped first, but why lose the cables?
    Seriously -that's just dumb.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And for the record, I'm just being dumb. Everyone is stupid except for Atari with the Jaguar. I spoke to someone at the Sony Outlets about the PSPgo, and accoring to him (and he may be wrong), there are no plans to grandfather clause the PSP UMD games I have and make them digital, so if I bought a PSP go, I would be screwed with all the games I had before (and I have an assload of PSP games), so No Go for the PSP go, unless they find a way to do a trade-in for a digital copy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, any system that puts out White Men Can't Jump is A-OK with me.

But really, the new system's worth isn't really there anymore. People are dumb enough to be suckered into expensive HDMI cables when buying HD stuff.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well this is Microsoft were talking about so penny pinching their customers is nothing new. All I can say is thank God I never paid for my 360, I love it and all but I've also had to spend a bit of money because of these kinds of back door shenanigans.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, while I was at the Sony store, I was looking for a new HDMI to reach from my laptop to the TV, and they were 60 bucks, hahahaha. I remembered that site you posted for HDMI for like 25 cents.

They layer them with M&Ms and Reeces and say that the chocolate coating explains the ridiculous price.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Even at Target or Walmart, you can find them for like $10. Or, if you can stand a day or so wait, order them online for just a few dollars or less. HDMI cables at brick 'n' mortar retailers is the biggest cable scam since the invention of Monster Cables.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually wonder if the exclusion of them might have been a tactic. My friend was looking at PS3s this weekend, but his first reaction was, "I don't even have an HD TV", and I told him that while it is certainly nice to have one, that the PS3 comes with the same cables that his old Xbox and PS2 came with, so he seemed more interested. People are still migrating to LCD HD, and even the concept of Component vs Composite is still daunting, so now throw in another cable that has no color codes, and some folks are like "Wha" And it's those folks that Best Buy targets and says, "oh no no no, if you want TRUE HD, then you need this Cheesy-covered HDMI for pur HD integrity."

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Don't see the problem personally, HDMI cables arn't expensive and i've never brought anything else that connects to a TV that came with anything other then components or RF.

Its not the fault of Microsoft, Sony or any other manufacturer if people are still naieve enougth to believe that dudes who making a living out of selling have the customers best interests in mind.

11. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Well, that's annoying.

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Not sure of the problem at all. I don't use the component or HDMi Cables I got with mine. And wireless has never been an issue cause I have an ether net cable going from PM to 360.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

14. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Good deal til I found out about missing parts from its regular package. Seeing the price cut, I am still completely satisfied with my elite 360 which I bought for $300 with all items included.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But I think that's what we're trying to say. Even if this is missing the HDMI, they have been spotted as low as 25 cents, so you are losing vapor, and my only stab at MS was because that Vapor was only a huge deal when Sony didn't include it.

No one should lose sleep over this elite not including the HDMI. If it didn't come with the disc tray, Maybe...maybe.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. Buying an extra lead is hardly a deal breaker for most people. If they want a 360, they'll get a 360. They're unlikely to turn round and say "well if it doesn't have an HDMI lead then fuck it, I'm getting a PS3".

17. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i actually won't buy either system. i don't want a system that has a 50% chance of dying on me, so the 360 is out, and the fact that every new version of the ps3 has a new feature dropped from it is a big turn-off as well. microsoft and sony have been equally bad this generation when it comes to hardware.

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Never need HD when I play, so it's no real loss to me. Besides the fact that I wish I had waited to replace my 360 and got an Elite for 100 dollars more :(  But my Xbox is just fine for now!

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm not insinuating anyone should lose sleep over the removal. However, for years to include at least component cables in the package, and then to now only include the worst cables possible, is kind of a shitty sneaky tactic. Once the Pro models and old Elite's are gone, then it's going to suck for anyone buying a 360. You'll still have to hunt down a cheap HDMI cable. Be it going store to store looking for a cheaper one, or ordering it online. Or, being stuck paying for component cables now. Again, not expensive, but a shitty tactic.

One of the 360's best features was it's out of the box convenience. I also don't see a charger for the controller listed on the new Elite box. When the new Elite replaces the current Elite, the $299 price isn't exactly the bargain that people are going to make it out to be.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not entirely true. BC is really the only "feature" dropped on the PS3. USB slots were dropped, but they are still available. Memory size is not a feature, especially if you are given the choice of swapping hardrives. And the card-readers, judging by reaction, were never used, and the neither contribute or diminish from gameplay or functionality of the system, when more people use USB sticks anyway.

Was it not DSI that dropped Gameboy Advance backwards compatibility? Again, all guilty, but PR makes it ok.

edit: and I hate replacing batteries on controllers. I don't care how long they last.... middle of a great game of Oblivion on a saturday night, light starts blinking, and it's out to Walmart. I have so many USB cables lying around that should I lose my PS3 controller cable, I can charge it with anything. Custom cables on the Wii and 360 make it a pain, moreso when they aren't included (like the Wii, as my 360 came with one).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009