X3 Box Office Haul

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by misterd, May 28, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

2. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What the hell's "Attack of the Sith"? :p 

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Nothing can be decided untill Snakes on a Plane opens...

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This first weekend was an inevitable sucess. We'll have to wait and see what it does after. But either way, I'm certain it's not the last in the series.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I never would have made that bet in the first place. As of Thursday, I would have bet that there would have been a fourth movie, even if it was called 'New X-men' and didn't have anybody from the first three save for one or two principals and any number of the smaller roles.

How many of the big shots might come back was what this weekend was for. Berry and Stewart supposedly hadn't ruled out coming back based on this one's performance.
    Get McKellen, Jackman and Grammer back and we're good to go.

But I want a longer Iceman/Pyro fight next time dammit. And I want Pyro to win!

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Now I want to see the movie more than ever. I am sure X3will beat Superman Returns at the Box Office if for no other reason than opening at 4 day weekend with few competition. Fox will surely explore the possibilities of a 4th movie. I am willing to bet the strong BO is also due to X-Men finally giving the fans the action they've been craving since first movie. Singer is great with character development and all but his movies are long on drama and short on action and it's a nice change of pace with the shorter running time and more fighting and f/x. It's THE popcorn movie of the year for now.

7. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Wtf. Narrowly escaped making 'Superman Returns"? Bret Rattner the man who wanted to ditch supermans cape and make Lex Luthor a kryptonian. Yeah ok... way for them to talk shit on a movie that hasn't even come out yet.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That's cool. I feel better now after reading that mediocre review from the other day

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    IMO people put far too much stock into box office returns now adays. The only people it’s truly relevant to are the movie studios. Just because a movie mad a lot of money doesn’t mean it’s not total crap. (In the pervious statement I don’t necessarily mean X-Men. I was disappointed with X-Men but didn’t think it was crap.)

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The prevoew for that was awesome.

"This summer's blockbusters have superheroes in capes, mutants, impossible missions, animated cars... but none of them have, SNAKES ON A PLANE!"

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Look at the Hulk. Hulk has a record breaking opening weekend record and people say that is trash.

12. misterd

For the record, I didn't start this with any intent on discussing the film's quality. I have yet to see it and can't judge for myself, while the reviews have been all over the place.

However, nearly every review I have seen mentions this is to be the last film. As you point out, the BO matters a great deal to the studio. If this film grosses $150 million opening weekend in the US, it will make its money back and more when counting overseas and DVD sales. This proves to Fox that there is a great deal of interest in the film- a downturn next weekend will only reflect word of mouth, and perhaps encourage more time be put into making X4.

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Opening weekend means that people who haven't read a review (or have their own free will and want to form their own opinion) went to see the movie. It really says nothing except that many people went to see it on opening day. It's the weeks after that count.

I didn't pay attention to the Hulk movie, but if people said it did good opening weekend, good for it. The good opening weekend didn't mean anything considering the Hulk movie sits in the cheap bins at the DVD store. Last time I saw it sitting in the bin, it was $3 Canadian. That doesn't exactly scream "mega hit".

And while I don't expect another X-Men movie, I do expect one thing: A Wolverine movie...

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I didn’t mean to accuse you of anything, I just know so many people on-line and in real life that look at the box office numbers on Monday morning like they where score of a football game and will go to a movie just because it made X millions.

One day I was talking about a movie I had seen and really liked at work with one person and this 3rd guy chimes asking if it was any good. I said “Yes, it was super rad.” and he replied with “I never heard of it, it must have been that grate if I never heard any one talking about it.” “To witch I countered with “Well I’m sure there are lots of good things you never heard of.” Then he wanted to know how much money it made insisting that if it was so good it would have made enough money to get into the top 5. I gave up the conversation after that.

15. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

The reliance on opening week box office numbers is why I think that first weekend boycotts of screwed over movies (for whatever reason) would send a great message to the Hollywood execs. If a vast majority of the fan base for X-men all decided that they didn't like how the people at Fox treated the movie (i.e., Brett Ratner, rushing the film, killing off characters, etc.), they could boycott the opening weekend, but still go see it after that. The loss of opening week money would definitely be a big knife, but seeing how people still turned up the second week because they were fans that were organized enough to send a direct message with their wallets would show them that we want to be respected. I was definitely wanting to boycott this opening weekend, but the reviews were mixed enough and the previews good enough that I went anyway and brought friends along. Didn't really regret it, even though there was a lot of wasted potential.

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I still think most of te negative reviews are just fanboy whinings. I saw it and thought it was great...

17. misterd

Understood, but as you point out, people could easily miscontrue this report as an indicator of quality. Just wanted to keep the record straight.

18. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah. They should make a Kitty Pryde movie! Cus, y'know, she's cute and all...

:D 

But anyway... i liked the movie and all, but it cost $225 MILLION to make? The effects were good [for the most part] but not that good.

19. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I totally agree.

I'm not surprised that it opened this well. People like me (a young guy who likes action films) hasn't had a reason to go to the movies since last year. We all showed up in droves this weekend.

20. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

the movie was great-at least enough to justify a DVD of the movie.....