X2Toys - BG-A Autobot Background

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by DanLyons, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DanLyons

DanLyons Vintage Lurker

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I’ve been anxiously awaiting for this set for a year so, now that it’s here, I thought I’d share.

A Quick Background
    This is the first of two announced background sets from X2Toys - a purple Decepticon version, BG-AP, should be released in the near future. There are also several accessories that have been shown off that will be compatible with these backgrounds - more on those later.

The Box
    The box itself has a black & white illustration of the assembled background and three part numbers printed with a checkbox for each on the front, a parts list along two sides and pictorial instructions on the back. I can’t figure out what the part numbers are for, the Decepticon set is currently being listed as BG-AP and the main three parts are listed as; BG-A001, BG-A002, and BG-A003. Perhaps they’ll renumber the purple set BG-B and C will be a grey/silver Cybertron version. We’ll know more when the Decepticon set is released. The parts listed on the box have a part number, part count and the letters B & C which, for the most part, don’t seem to mean anything.

[​IMG]

In The Box
    Since all of the instructions are on the box there is no paperwork just a divider and the parts. Parts are sealed in plastic bags containing 3-5 items each.

[​IMG]

Each set includes twelve different part types, most of which are edge pieces, they are:
    • BG-A001 Wall Panel (25)
    • BG-A002 Wall Base (5)
    • BG-A003 Floor Panel (25)
    • BG-A004-B Bin Base (5)
    • BG-A004-C Bin Lid (5) for some reason they list the bin and lid as a single part
    • BG-A005 Wall Edge Left (5)
    • BG-A006 Wall Edge Right (5)
    • BG-A007 Floor Edge Back Left (1)
    • BG-A008 Floor Edge Back Right (1)
    • BG-A009 Floor Edge Left (5)
    • BG-A010 Floor Edge Right (5)
    • BG-A011-B Floor Front Edge Corner Left (1)
    • BG-A011-C Floor Front Edge Corner Right (1) like the bins, the corners are listed as a single part number despite being mirror image versions of each other
    • BG-A012 Floor Front Edge (5)

The Past - XT006

[​IMG]
    For those that missed it - XT006, their Masterpiece Bumblebee accessory set, included the first release of parts designed for this background set. Unfortunately, those parts were based on early prototypes and most are not compatible with the BG-A set. The tabs on the XT006 wall and floor base parts are a different size and are either too big or too small to attach properly to the pieces from the background set. One small consolation, the bin & jet pack rack accessories do snap properly into the background wall, which is nice since they have some silver paint apps that the background set lacks.

Assembly
    The first step was to map out how many pieces would be required to fill the shelf.

[​IMG]

The assembly instructions are pretty straightforward:
    1. Snap the wall pieces together side by side
    2. Snap a row of wall pieces into another by angling the top row towards you, lining up the posts on the bottom piece with the holes in the top piece
    3. Push the top row back until it locks into place
    4. Snap the wall base pieces into the bottom of the assembled wall from left to right
    5. Insert the bin lid into the bin base
    6. The top of the bin has two upward pointing clips that fit into the horizontal slots in the wall panel, hinge the bin down until the tab on the bottom clicks into the matching slot on the wall base
    7. Add the floor panels to the wall base from right to left
    8. Add the floor edges (either side) starting from the back with the back edge piece then add rest of the edges, there is an interlocking tab on each that fits in from the bottom of the piece it’s being attached to
    9. Insert the corner piece into the front end
    10. Add the front edge pieces, they will snap down tightly
    11. Snap the wall edges in, unfortunately they do not lock into place firmly and are easy to knock out of place. I wish they held on more tightly or were interlined like the floor side edges to keep them in place.
    [​IMG]
    Worked out pretty well, although after adding all of the figures I realized that I should have mounted the jet pack rack at the top of the back wall where it could actually be seen instead of the bottom with the bin.

The Future - Accessories
    Recently X2Toys showed off several accessories that work with these backgrounds; JLOJ posted photos of them here. So far we’ve seen platforms, ramps, risers and Teletran-1. Unfortunately, as posted by Cheem The Rup here, the Teletran-1 that they showed off has been scrapped “due to unperfect and defective design of the transforming structure” and “the old design will be abandoned from now on.” Although the English is rough, it does imply that they could create a new design in the future.

Wish List
    One of the biggest problems with how I set up my displays is that I stuff too many figures onto the shelf at the same time. This makes it easy for a small nudge or bump to knock smaller figures or accessories off of the shelf. My poor Laserbeak spent months stuck behind the shelf below this one after toppling off of Soundwave’s shoulder. Side walls would offer a bit more protection and a more “TV set” look. While I would like three full walls, I’m not sure it would be popular enough an idea for them to consider.

A more likely option would be some parts to cover the naked connection points at the top of the back wall. Perhaps something like a conduit or support brackets that imply a connection to a ceiling.

Summary

[​IMG]

Overall I’m happy with this set, I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time and haven’t been satisfied with any of the cardboard options so far.

From comments on the announcement thread, it’s clear that the aesthetics of the wall attachment points won’t be for everyone nor will the price. With the sets running around $50 shipped, larger displays can get expensive. I’m planning on ordering the Decepticon set so, clearly, they’re worth it to me. I’m really hoping that the wait for the accessories won’t be quite as long as it was for this set, I could use some platforms for my cassettes.

Additional Photos
    My Masterpiece shelf ready for upgrading
    [​IMG]
    Lonely XT-006
    [​IMG]

Lots of floor pieces
    [​IMG]

and some bins
    [​IMG]

and some walls
    [​IMG]

XT-A001 wall piece (right) compared to BG-A001 (left)
    [​IMG]

XT-A002 wall base (right) compared to BG-A002 (left)
    [​IMG]

A few leftovers
    [​IMG]

Leftovers filling in a corner (admittedly not quite as impressive as the main display)
    [​IMG]

Leftover display with a selection of bots
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome. Really nice set up, the large TF sign fita this perfectly.
    Where did you actually get this? BBTS keeps pushing the release date back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanLyons

DanLyons Vintage Lurker

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks! I picked up the sign on eBay many, many years ago.

Not sure why BBTS hasn't gotten them yet, TFSource has them in-stock. I ordered a fourth set from them to build a background for my blog since the Deception set still hasn't materialized.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks, I'll go check them out :D