X2 Toys XT003 Hoist & Trailbreaker Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by uranusdd, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hows the plastic on Chrome version?

Just curious since for me the 1st release,TC's Silvergun broke right off the hook it was on a while after I got it.

2. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The chrome is fine, I think, though you might want to be careful when plugging in the pegs and adjusting the arm cannons since the coat of chrome does add some width to the plastic, changing the tolerances a bit. Don't manhandle it and it should be fine.

The stickers are a nice touch too! I went with chrome (and the metallic stickers) since I actually like the touch of (G1-ish) chrome that came with the Henkei figures and think it helps TB and Hoist blend in with them, hitting me in the feels.

Here is the X2 chrome version of the upgrade kit on my custom kitbashed Trailbreaker and Hoist.

[​IMG]

Back view.

[​IMG]

Side view.

[​IMG]

They're uber poseable.

[​IMG]

Hound having a chat with Trailbreaker (back when they were both chummy with Spike and Sparkplug, respectively, before Bee butted in and stole their thunder).

[​IMG]

"We build and repair. Call Hoist and Grapple Construction Inc., 555-5555."

[​IMG]

All in all, I highly recommend this upgrade set!

3. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Wow those Kitbashes looking amazing:thumbs2: 

I was thinkin of buying the chrome set and just switching out TCs Chrome Gun piece with my Silver Gun piece.Dont know if thats possible tho.

4. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Thanks, glad you like! Since my custom TB and Hoist can't transform anymore (at least without partsforming), they'll forever be in bot mode so I don't personally have the need to remove or futz with the arm nozzle bits too much from here on out. I may pick up the Takara versions of the characters some day if only because I like their coloring and decos slightly more than Hasbro's (which I felt more comfortable with cutting up and modding for my kitbash purposes).

5. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Your very welcome.

Yeah I just need a replacement for the black piece that attaches to TCs arm,so I can have it hold the silver gun/nozzle.

One of my Hoist Wings has small stress mark where the ball joint plugs into but other then,I really just need the TC piece.

6. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    There are stress marks on the inside of the main C-shaped hinge connecting the Hoist-wings-on-ball-joints to the main backpack assembly, but there's no evident damage from the outside, so it should be fine. Only reason I noticed them was because I disassembled the backpack and wings to their base components to play with their configuration on the back of my custom Hoist. I don't think they'll break as long as I don't mess with them again (ie. pulling the pieces apart repeatedly).

The way I have them now is the wings are plugged into the ball joints of the donated foot pieces from DOTM Armor Top Spin (perfect fit, I might add), which I then frictioned into Hoist's back (fairly solidly). Next, I simply frictioned the empty ball jointed stalk on the front of the wings (they slot into the holes nicely as pictured) and the backpack kinda hangs off of Hoist now. Could be more secure, but for my display purposes, it works.

An unexpected benefit of my mods is that Hoist's wings can now be positioned and "locked" pretty solidly with two "settings"; the wide angled look (pictured above where the perpendicular "hook" pieces on the wings block any further movement), or they can be pushed up to sit higher (for a more narrow, G1 look where Hoist's over-the-head rear gun stops further movement). I like the wide angled look better; almost gives him a Wheeljack vibe I find appealing. (I didn't like how fiddly and loosely positioned the wings are in their stock/unmodded configuration.)

Very happy with this purchase. I'm tempted to get the normal silver versions and fiddling with those on the Takara releases of Gen TC and Hoist.

7. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
  8. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    ^ Ouch. Would glue fix that up? Perhaps contacting the retailer from which you ordered from to exchange the broken piece.

9. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Tried glue,wont hold together or rather hard for the glue to hold onto something so small.As for the retailer,I contacted him but they are out of stock.I might get a discount when he gets more in,but thats a big might especially if this was limited run.

10. HBD

HBD Hi

Holy Hoist, BBTS has crap in stock!

I mean...

Holy crap, BBTS has Hoist in stock!

11. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Eh, the neck sections on those two look horrible like that.

12. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    It is what it is. Normally, TF toys lack a definable "neck" and have shoulders that sit at or near head-level. But given the fact that the windscreen neck section sits up higher with the G1 hood stomach configuration combined with the stock short stubby arms, there wasn't much I could do to fix that area at the shoulder connection aside from giving Trailbreaker some shoulderpads to help fill in that empty space.

With Hoist, I couldn't do that without hindering the X-2 wings. I'd say the trade-off was worth it for a taller and more articulated bot mode without the balancing/posing issues of the stock figures. Before, Hoist and Trailcutter would tip over very easily. Now, they can be posed just fine and have no balance problems.

On that note, this is probably the wrong thread for critiques unrelated to the X2 upgrade kit.

13. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Its all good.

BBTS says theyre still on Preorder for the Non Metallic set.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I just inadvertently got the chrome version of this set, but I wanted the painted silver weapons. Anyone interested in an even trade? If so, send me a PM!

15. jaypc

jaypc Liberty or Death

This kit is COOL. Before I bought it I didn't know that you can use that small black piece for the backpack. What a BONUS. And Trealbreaker desperately needed this arm cannon. Hoist is still sealed in package so I haven't attached his upgrade parts yet. SOON though!

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    That trailbreaker piece was my reason for buying it! ;) 

17. jaypc

jaypc Liberty or Death

That little piece makes a BIG difference!

18. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Did you get the chrome or standard set?

19. jaypc

jaypc Liberty or Death

I bought the chrome set.

20. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Ah,well I was thinking just getting the chrome set and replace the chrome gun piece for TC with the standard gun from the non chrome set.Is that all possible,it looks like the same black piece and it might even fit better.