X2 Toys XT003 Hoist & Trailbreaker Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by uranusdd, Oct 24, 2013.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i just got my trailbreaker and hoist today. there is a piece in this set that attaches the backpack to trailbreakers back right? im guessing it is the piece in the lower right corner of the in plastic photo.

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

It's the little black blaster that also can attach to Trailcutter's gun-hand.

3. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Just got mine today. The stickers really are nice: perfectly cut, durable, and bright.
    I had to gently sand down all of the pegs, though; they're a little tight out of the box. Otherwise, though, this set adds a lot of character to both molds. I was worried before about how much I'd spent on it, but I feel a heck of a lot better now.

4. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

how do you get Trailcutter's shield to stay on his back while his engine block/force field projector is in it's projecting position?

5. Toonimator

Look back 2 posts before yours.

6. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

^Oh.....ok, now I have to get this set at some juncture

7. Volney

Volney Autobot

Received my add on kit from Captured Prey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc Professional Malcontent

When the hell is BBTS getting their shipments? Everywhere else has them.

9. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Patience young one. For the Jedi is time to eat as well.

10. Toonimator

I know, it's like BBTS deliberately told X2 not to ship 'em their order of set, right?

:drunk 

11. ShinRa Inc

I've been patient since the original ship date in September. They've been holding up a POL that I'd really like to get before christmas, ffs.

12. Toonimator

You're probably directing your anger at the wrong place. BBTS doesn't have them because "BBTS misplaced them" or "BBTS really wants to piss off ShinRa Inc" or whatever. BBTS most likely doesn't have them because...X2 Toys, for whatever reason, hasn't shipped the sets to BBTS. Maybe it was a clerical error. Maybe BBTS' order email got lost in X2's spam folder. Maybe X2's shipment went to Big Bud's Toy Store in Pomona, CA by mistake, and he's wondering how he's gonna sell 300 sets of Hoist/Trailcutter upgrades when he primarily sells Hot Wheels and McFarlane figures.

13. ShinRa Inc

At this point, my irritation at BBTS is from the canned "They'll get here whenever they get here, if you don't like it, tough shit" auto-response I've gotten to my inquiries, and their unwillingness to contact the supplier and find out what's going on.

It may be any one of those situations, or something else entirely. No one's going to know, because BBTS doesn't seem to care enough to find out.

That's not the level of customer service I've come to expect from BBTS, and it's rather disappointing. Their communication with customers seems to have gone downhill, and preorder dates constantly come and go with no explanation.

14. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude.... chill. Ultimately BBTS is at the mercy of the manufacturers shipping times. I deal with it all the time in my work. An ETA is just that. An "estimated" time of arrival. I happened to change my order to get one from Toy Arena because they had it in stock. A lot of times when dealing with frieght, there are lots of things that can delay orders. If an order that comes over via container.... I can personally tell you from personal experience in my work that things can get delayed even at port customs.

If they don't have an answer, they truly don't have an answer. It's not that they don't care. They truly don't have a concrete answer. Do you want them to lie to you and tell you a fictitious date? I don't think so. I'm sure they are still getting them in. If you don't want to wait, then get it from somewhere else like I did. =) Simple solution.

http://www.toyarena.com/product_info.php/toys-strengthen-equipment-xt003-trailcutter-hoist-upgrade-kit-p-9341

- Gregg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  15. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine from Toyarena right away.

Only problem is now I have to buy another set cause my TC 's silver gun piece broke(that small hook that the silver gun rotates on,it had thin plastic and stress marks right out of the box).

Hoists wings are also starting to show some really bad stress marks where the ball joints plug in.

Wishing this set was a bit cheaper:2c: .

16. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

Now that I've finally got Hoist, I've had some time to fiddle around with everything this kit has to offer, and I just wanted to post some thoughts.

(I don't normally do reviews, so please pardon me if I ramble a bit)

Decals

I think these could be the most under-appreciated bits of the set. What they do to the stock figures is pretty impressive. For Trailcutter, they really do help to break up all that black on the figure, being much more vibrant (but not anywhere approaching garish) than the Hasbro paint apps. Hoist certainly benefits from having the stripes run along the sides of the truck.

I had some problems trying to place the tail light decals, but I blame that on me more than anything (I've never done small details like that before, and maybe there was a better way than just by hand). Fortunately, I found them to be very forgiving and as long as they weren't pressed down on, they could be easily re-aligned over again multiple times, but still stuck nicely once they were in place. Time will tell how they hold up, but so far, so good.

Trailcutter's Upgrades

Consisting of the gun-hand and a little pistol, they look pretty unassuming in the package. However, what that pistol lets you do, by being able to attach the canopy to TC's back (while still having the forcefield projector deployed), really helped to complete the look for me. The gun-hand attachment helped to give him a properly "armed" (heh) look. TC now really does look like he's ready for a fight. My minor quibble with that piece is that it's natural resting position seems to be slightly crooked. It can be nudged over so that it points straight from the arm without feeling like it's joint is being stressed. I'd be willing to accept that is just the case on my copy as I'm not aware of it being a wider issue.

In vehicle mode, the parts do have their place (the pistol on top, and the gun hand resting against the back). For me, I found it actually helped with the illusion that this wasn't a truck with just guns on top, but one that has different bits and bobs of gear, and falls more under a research type design, not unlike that of RTS Perceptor. Your imagination may vary, of course. :) 

All in all, I was pleasantly pleased by what a couple of small bits of plastic could accomplish!

Hoist's Upgrades

Now, I was looking forward to these parts more than I did with Trailcutter, as the stock figure just seemed bare with just the tow hook and nothing else.

Starting with the gun-hand. It's designed differently than TC's in the it's held in Hoist's fist in an underslung fashion. The downside to this is that it requires his arm flap to be opened to accommodate it. It can be mostly closed once plugged in, but not fully. Great looking piece, though, being modelled after his G1 counterpart.

As for the "backpack", I found I had more issues than I would have liked. The peg that plugs into Hoist needed to be sanded at the edge as there seemed to be some extra mold flash or something along those lines making it too large for the opening. However, after doing that, the actual peg itself seemed to be a touch on the small side, rattling around a bit in the hole. Fortunately, I didn't sand down the end too much that it easily slid back out the hole. All that said, though, it doesn't leave a solid connection to Hoist in either mode, feeling rather fiddly when handling the figure.

The "wings" also feel fiddly, not having enough friction to hold in place easily in either robot or vehicle mode. Perhaps if I added something to the joints to increase the friction, this issue would be lessened.

Going back to robot mode, I find that the design of the backpack leaves it sticking out from the back of the figure (angling out from the top going down) more than I would like. It looks as though that the leading edge of the backpack is supposed to slot in under the side window pieces behind the shoulder. This would make it fit better than it does now. The instruction photos aren't clear enough to make a definite conclusion, and I can't seem to make it work without fearing some kind of damage to either the backpack, or Hoist himself.

Finally, too, in an odd design choice, the hole to plug in Hoist's tow arm is off centre, making the tow hook impractical to use, if this was a real life vehicle. I think a more centred point could have been designed, but what can you do?

All that said, though, I really like the look of it. The orange matches up nicely and adds the extra bulk to fill out the truck, and give the robot mode it's proper silhouette.

Overall

Now, despite some grievances, I do believe this is a vital set if you own both of these figures. They truly add the finishing touches to what Hasbro started, and help give that extra bit of Generation One feeling to what are already two solid figures.

Would it be nice if it was a bit lower in price? Certainly, but I don't feel ripped off by the cost either.

Pick this set up if you can! :) 

17. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Great review of the set! I just got mine recently and employed it this morning and encountered many of the same frustrations as well as joys. Overall I agree, the decals are the unsung hero of this one! But this shouldn't in any way imply that the other set pieces aren't well worth the price of admission.

And for those complaining about the price, try to keep in mind that this is a fairly low run niche' collector item that Hasbro would N-E-V-E-R- in any version of reality- produce for their own toy. In that sense I consider $25 a steal as this is an item I would literally never have seen if X2 hadn't decided to produce it.

18. C16

C16 Space Nomad

So I got this set off eBay but the dummy seller sent me the chrome version instead and I really don't feel like going through with the hassle of dealing with any more chinese packages. Was anyone more interested in the chrome version and want to trade their silver painted parts and sticker sheet?

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I might take you up on that, since my collection is mostly henkei stuff the chrome would help them blend in a bit

20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Yeah, please let me know. I'd much rather have the silver painted parts and regular stickers. Even the stickers on this set are metallic.