X2 Toys not-Skyfire

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Sep 30, 2016.

?

Are you interested in getting this not-Skyfire?

1. No.

55.0%
  2. Maybe...

28.2%
  3. Yes!

16.8%
  1. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    I must be reading the blue text wrong, you're saying your kids are still the bigger disappointment?

• Like Like x 2
  2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Okay, does he just have no face? All the pics there make it look like it's just a flat slab where the nose and mouth should be.

3. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

TO be fair, he does not quantify the absolute level of disappointment in either so it is merely a comparative statement.

4. DangerousFat

DangerousFat Well-Known Member

How can you compare this to FansToys Phoenix with a straight face? They're not even remotely similar or intended to be remotely similar other than the character they are representing. This is 100% CHUG and intended to fit in with the headmasters gimmick and the other is 100% Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Valid observation. We need further data.

Rusty, use the chart below to give us an understanding of your disappointment... for both the face and your children.
    c38619dbdeda8b49f8e57ce11cd84120.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Problematic.

7. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    chug isn't supposed to have die cast.

8. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I like the jetmode, the arms don't bother me.
    But it's sad how they just had to have the TM gimmick AND the light up gimmick and the die cast.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'd forgotten that die-cast is what determines if something is Masterpiece or not. Guess just about all the carbots suddenly stopped being Masterpieces and are now CHUG!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    It does work the other way around.

11. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

Okay so anything with metal is Masterpiece, gotcha. Thanks, my Masterpiece shelf is going to be a lot more crowded now.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Not really digging the face but I still think this is an awesome-looking piece overall. I hope it does well (and I hope the QC and build quality and such is good). Hopefully it's more of a FansToys Phoenix result than a Daca Toys Kronos or, dare I say, Mechaform Sky Guardian (ugh) result.

I personally don't foresee myself buying it (money and space and such), but I wouldn't be opposed to owning it.

That depends. FansProject used it in Warbot Defender and Assaulter, and those are just the first two examples off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other examples out there. The point is, @FruitBuyer is right - diecast isn't a determining factor for a Masterpiece figure.

Though if we want to be real here for a moment, what is and isn't a Masterpiece figure is purely decided by TakaraTomy (and sometimes Hasbro). All of the official Masterpiece-alikes, no matter how good they are, aren't actually Masterpiece Transformers.

You know, since we're arguing semantics and all.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I can't believe it. Aside from the face sculpt, and the horrible plastic quality (of course), this actually looks worse than Mechaform Sky Guardian. From the neck down, Sky Guardian captured more of a G1 look than this one does. I know X2 was trying for a TR aesthetic, but they went a bit too far with all the greebles and whatnot. Now, I'm sure this is a much better build quality and I'm sure it's probably worth its asking price (and honestly, a 3rd party Leader Class for less than $150.00 is unheard of these days. Although, Open & Play are certainly challenging that. )

It's just...too ugly. Sky Guardian, while hollow and fragile, with a butterface, at least has the visuals down pat. If there's anything I like about this, they're the following: The dual cockpits (two TMs can ride) and the light up eyes (which is actually pretty friggin' neat.) but those arms on the sides in vehicle mode. Yikes. I'm waiting for video reviews, but I don't think Thrilling 30 or Sky Guardian are leaving my collection anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    No the other way around :lol 
    You are a very MP centric person it seems.
    Apparently there are four ways of interpreting this.
    Alltough as per TCJJ's info chug ISN't always devoid of die-cast, unless you only count official chug or consider those examples the exeptions.
    Most chug doesn't contain die cast anyways.
    Unless maybe if you consider anything that isn't MP chug as some tend to do.
    Or if you consider anything you don't like chug, which is also something some people do.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    And it doesn't even have to be that way (stock head):

[​IMG]

About the jetmode: I feel Skyfire's main transformation feat, always revolved around being an angular styled bot with spherical shoulders,
    whose transformation manages to completely HIDE those spherical shoulders in jet mode. Phoenix, Kronos, Sky Guardian and even CHUG 2014 Jetfire all succeed in doing this.

This X2Toys version simply leaves it all hanging out there. It's like a slight update to Universe 2.0 Jetfire

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  16. bct103

bct103 Member

From the pictures I've seen, there's just no way that this compares to FT-10 Phoenix. For my money, Phoenix is the *perfect* Skyfire - it's like they ripped the mold straight off an animation cel.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

Some very interesting design choices going on here. Not sure I agree with all of them but some interesting stuff indeed.

Still eager to get hands on one to see how it all goes.

18. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    9 on the potential kids, 10 on the face. However, there is still time for the kids to surpass that.

On a serious note, the figure reminds me of the old DacaToys JetFire that never made it to production (plus the headmaster gimmick of course).

19. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Oh, Daca's did make it into production. Just not production focused on solid quality control.

There is time for them to revise the head design. Will they? Who knows...

I think this an unfair assessment of the objective. The figure features a gimmick of the Titans Return line which, unless I am way off mark, suggests it is meant to compliment Hasbro's mainstream toy line focus not the MP line.

To that regard, it is no more comparable to FT's Skyfire than TR's G2 Prime is to FH's.

I also find it not to be a figure of interest to me but I realize that I am not the target customer.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. goldenhawk7

goldenhawk7 Member

I compare them because they are both supposed to be Jetfire/Skyfires. Phoenix is one beautiful Transformer. This X2 thing is just ugly. No matter what scale it is.