(x)years experience in the movie designs, they could have ended up differently

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Experience has made the design team's TF designs better. That's only natural when working on three movies. Imagine if they had the chance, do you think that Optimus would look the same if they were to have designed him this the experience they have now?

They know what they're doing now as opposed to 2007. Compare Let's say Ironhide (the messiest-looking Autobot) to Sentinel Prime who looks more whole and streamlined. Compare Megatron to Shouckwave and you can see what I'm talking about when I say that experience has improved the designs of the TFs while retaining the elements that made this aesthics unique.

2. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

Yup.

3. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

Total agreement. But Megs is better than Shocky, IMO.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I think Ironhide looks great. Just his tranlation into toy form hasn't been so good. IMO Sentinel Prime looks pretty messy. Just my opinion.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I look at Sentinel's design and laugh at the earlier resolutions of the designers to make the TF's look as alien as possible.

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So Alien they look almost human ?

7. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

really ????

there is no way in any frame of opinion or mind that iron hide looks like streamlined design in comparison to sentinel prime. SP is all panels with straight lines and normal contours. Ironhide is well, Hard to tell he just doesnt have defined anything.

You wanted to disagree didnt you :) 

It is funny though to see how they now get what we have been saying since movie one about the human feel for the characters look. They have almost completely steered away from the alien look and feel.

Optimus actually went through changes for ROTF which made him a more human looking character and they made the face not so wierd. Optimus luckily they were very close to the deisgn angle right off the bat because if they ever went with that hunched over all blue, dogface design, they were shooting for then the movie would have been just horrible with out the nostalgia factor

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I haven't had any problems with the designs at any point.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It does seem like we have gotten a more stream lined and armored look on some of the characters in Dark of the Moon. Shockwave is also one of the easiest Decepticons to tell who it is so it seems like older design elements are also getting more prominent.

So yea I'm going to agree that it would be interesting to see what some of the characters would have looked like under the new design rules. Might have also been interesting to see if these more streamlined models would have gotten us more bot time, because honestly I just don't think Ironhide's gun really needed that many parts making it so expensive.

10. rodriguez256

rodriguez256 Well-Known Member

I haven't had problems with the designs either. The only design I think they could've made better was Devostator. But even then I wasn't unhappy with his design either.

11. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    You DO know that Sentinel Prime design was ripped right from Gundam robots? Otherwise movie designs are pretty unique and cool, much better than designs from fanboys B-)

12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure the designs have so much improved over time as just been different for each movie.

In the first movie there was a very serious effort to make them NOT look human, and some of my favorite designs came out of that movie. A lot of them look very alien or insect like.

In the second movie they suddenly start looking more human. Sideswipe's head never would have made the cut in the first movie. Although I like Sideswipe, I have to say I'm less than crazy about how this worked out for Jetfire and the Twins.

There was also this obsession with bots that didn't walk- Sideswipe, RC team, Demolisher, Rampage. I think this was a neat idea that Hasbro probably killed because they were having such problems with the toys.

Withe the third movie we're now getting bizarre caricatures of mullets and other white trash hair cuts. Although I happen to like Roadbuster, I think we were better off when they were trying to keep these things looking non human. I don't like the progression overall and I'm fine with this being bays last one of these (if it actually is).

13. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

I think the 2007 movie had the best designs. There were standouts in RotF, like Long Haul, but the original cast, IMO, has the cleanest, best designed appearances.

For RotF they clearly tried to up the creativity but retard-bots and bots that look and act like old men are lame. DotM seems to be continuing the caricature direction that RotF started, with nascar hick-bots, guys with dreadlocks, and a mustacheod Sentinal. Not to mention "wheeljack/IQ/whomever" with his fiber optic hair.

I do not like the over-humanization of the robots. They're alien and they don't grow facial hair...or any hair for that matter.

I like that, by and large, the Decepticons have maintained a very alien appearance. I suppose the autobots having more human-like features could be considered a conscious decision on their part, but as it is it just looks like a poorly thought out attempt by the artists to imbue "character."

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i disagree; Shockwave looks exactly like Megatron with a different head, and the continued use of "drones" shows that they exhausted their creative minds on the original designs from the first movie

15. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I think that the decision to make the Autobots look more human while keeping the Decepticons looking aliens is a conscious one. People tend to relate more to characters that look more human, so the updates in the Autobot character models to look more human is most likely a conscious one to gather in more viewers. As much as the fanbase may disagree with this, if you watch the third movie and look at the money it makes, it will most likely see an increase in revenue.

16. rodriguez256

rodriguez256 Well-Known Member

I for one liked the bits with wheels instead of feet. Why have wheels on you and boy use them yo your advantage. I don't think sideswipe would've been so cool if he had feet. Most of them have two eyes, two legs, two arms, a mouth, why not have other humanish qualities like beards and mullets. The drones isn't a matter of losing creativeness but a matter of filling in the spots. I love all the designs.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't really see a linear progression with the designs. Each movie has some that turned out great, and some not so great.

I'm pretty happy with Optimus and Jazz from TF1. I think Ironhide is a bit of a mess.

I'm very impressed with Sideswipe and Longhaul from ROTF. Not so impressed with Jolt or the other Constructicons. Look at the Appliancebots, Ejector is pretty cool, but some of the others are a bit too haphazard. I think the reality is some characters just don't get the same attention.

DOTM, Sentinel Prime is interesting, but we'll have to wait and see about the others. I'm not crazy about how the Wreckers are looking in what we've seen so far.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed. The movie designs are some of the best TFs has ever seen.

It's a stylistic choice. Characters look more streamlined depending on their character/function.

19. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    my biggest problems with the movie designs are the heads. There are a few good head designs, but characters like bumblebee or skids/mudflap have some of the most questionable heads I have seen.

20. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mark my words, in a reboot or whatever you want to call it, the designs will not only be more streamlined but they will also be a lot simpler.

But yeah, I agree. The designs have seemingly gotten a whole lot more “streamlined”. Its not just in DOTM, ROTF also gave us a lot of simpler designs, like Sideswipe and, there I say it, the Twins.