X-Wing Miniature Game

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Zeta Otaku, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, okay, I'm late to the party on this. I've known it was a thing for a while, but only recently saw it being played and thought it looked fun! So, I bought the Original Core Set, played a bit myself and with a friend and saw it had potential, but was kind of limited with just the two TIEs and a lone X-Wing. What to do, right?

Well, hey! They have ALL these expansions to choose from! NEAT! Let me just buy this one... and THIS one to make things fair for both sides and...

Guys... guys... I... I fell HARD.

Currently, I have the said Core Set, the Falcon, Ghost, the Outrider, a second X-Wing, the Rebel Aces set (A-Wing and B-Wing), a second A-Wing, a second B-wing, Most Wanted (Y-Wing and 2 Z-95 Headhunters), two more Headhunters, a second Y-Wing, Imperial Veterans (TIE Defender and TIE Bomber), a second Defender, a second Bomber, TIE Advanced Prototype, the Decimator, Slave-1, TIE Interceptor, Imperial Aces (two more Interceptors), TIE Advanced, Sabine's TIE, the Imperial Assault Cruiser, two TIE Strikers and a U-Wing.

Yeah, I MIGHT have gone overboard, but I'm having a blast with the game. I've tried to not look up too many strategies online and figure out some solid ship set ups on my own (I have a pretty nasty A-Wing set up with Tycho Celchu. I really want to dive into the SCUM faction soonish and while I LOVE The Force Awakens, I'm holding off on buying anything from that time period until there's more than Kylo's Shuttle, the Falcon, TIE and X-Wing variants. I like a bit of variety (I'm also kind of a stickler and I'm staying away from the E-Wings, K-Wings, and Moldy Crow)

Anyone else play? Also, who else is pumped for Wave 11? :D 

2. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    I guess I can raise my hand...sorta...

Never played the game in my life...never even looked at the ziplock baggies full of cards and stuff that come with these ships...
    But I have amassed a pretty substantial fleet of these things...
    Original core set...2 TIE's and an X...Another X, 2 Y's, 2 A's, 2 B's, the second core set with the FO TIE's and T-70...A TIE Striker, Punisher, Defender, and Interceptor...Let's see...a pair of Z-95's...The Moldy Crow, Slave 1, Millennium Falcon, The Ghost...An Imperial Shuttle, Kylo Ren's shuttle, a Quad Jumper, a GR-74 Gallofree transport, a CR90 Corvette, and an Imperial Raider.
    I would like to find an Imperial Assault Carrier...

3. ShadowOfLght

ShadowOfLght Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played until Armada came out. Haven't touched it since then though. Some people play a full game of Armada and X-wing together. It's pretty rad (and long).

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I don't play, but I've been very tempted to do what ServO did, and just start collecting the ships. Especially when I saw that things like the Moldy Crow from Dark Forces, were available.

For the sake of my wallet, I was able to restrain myself... so far.

5. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    I got into these miniatures when I realized that I could successfully build a sizeable fleet and use only a fraction of the real estate needed for anything in a larger scale...
    Even plastic models end up taking up a tremendous amount of space...to say nothing about larger ships for like the 3 3/4" line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, that was part of the appeal to me as well, along with all the different vehicles that that were available.

The last time I collected Star Wars vehicles was in the mid-nineties when the Micro Machines line launched, and I bought a bunch of those. They were pretty much the only Star Wars toys available at the time, until the POTF2 figures came out.

These miniatures are obviously of a much higher quality than Micro Machines, but I've still managed to admire them in the stores, without bringing any of them home yet.

7. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, these things are SUPER detailed and I totally get the collecting aspect of them :D  I actually just came home with the TIE Advanced, U-Wing, Sabine's TIE Fighter (why not?) and the TIE Striker. I'm REALLY glad we're starting to see moving parts on these things that don't compromise the mold to the point where I kinda hope they remake the X-Wings (classic and new school) and B-Wing with folding S-Foils.

8. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I customized a couple of the ships, but i only played star trek attack wing, WAAAAAY too many x wing ships i would like for me to feel responsible with my money getting into it.

Still, the ships are awesome. :D 

9. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm really excited. There's a local game shop by me that does mini-tournaments on Sundays... the guy that runs them is new to the game too, but loves playing. I even introduced him to a squad building app that is AMAZING! (Startactics XW... just plug in your collection and you'll be able to squad build with the ships and cards that come with those expansion packs). We talked today and they play with a 150 point limit, so I've been cracking down and I have a SOLID A-Wing build, a semi-decent B-Wing, and I'd love to get an X-Wing in there too, but I might go in with those two fighters, my Ghost and Phantom and if I have any points left over, throw in a Z-95 or Sabine's TIE Fighter as a distraction since I doubt I'll be able to add much to either.

10. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay! Decided to fight against my "canon" mindset and I'm going to be grabbing the K-Wing... mostly just for some upgrade cards BUT it's cheaper to just buy the ship than to buy the cards individually off the internet >_>

11. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

I love having the questionable people for my rebel team. The Falcon, The Ghost, The Outrider, The Moldy Crow. I nice thinking that all of them just sitting at the bar trying to top each others stories.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Ghost can be a goddamn murder machine if you equip it correctly ESPECIALLY if use the Phantom and leave it docked. I keep flip flopping on the Crow... how is it in actual gameplay?

13. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

I'm surprised no one seems to have the YT-2400 Outrider...

Need to get a couple of the ARC-170s. Always loved the design, especially the original source: the P-61 Black Widow.

14. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got the YT-2400, but I haven't had a chance to build a squad around it just yet >_>

15. Legate

What's neat about the 2400 is it's unusual mobility combined with its complete range of coverage. Makes for some interesting possibilities.

16. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, for those that play... has anyone played with the Epic ships like the Imperial Assault Cruiser or the Blockade Runner? I've heard they really slow down gameplay... but... my GOD do I want the corvettes! (already have the Assault Cruiser... well, I will tomorrow)

17. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I caved... hard. I picked up the CR90. Its gorgeous! That Range 5 weapon arc is insane!

18. Legate

Gorgeous seems to be FFG's calling card. The minis are worth getting even if you never play.

I think range 5 arcs make sense when you consider it's a capital ship. If anything, that seems a tad low; probably represents the point defense guns rather than the turbolasers.

19. Legate

Assuming it hasn't already been made, what ship(s) do you most want to see represented in X-Wing?

For me it's the following:
    Eta-2 Actis Interceptor
    Guri's Stinger
    Skipray Blastboat

20. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Assault Gunboat
    Missile Boat (from the TIE Fighter pc game... hey, Imperials need a ship with SLAM)
    A new T-65 X-Wing with some kind of title to make X-Wings more viable. (maybe a Rogue Squadron title or s-foil card for new abilities or point reductions)
    R-41 Starchaser for SCUM/Rebels
    YT-2000
    Imperial Fighter Carrier (the wedge shaped ship from Rebels with cards for all 3 factions)