X-Transbots MX Series Berserkars / Monolith (Stunticons/Menasor)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you may be right, otherwise there's some serious magic going on there.

I also think Motormaster may have fake cab feet, otherwise I don't see altmode being Prime sized, though I could very well be wrong.

Granted, I have no skin in this game, I'm just really interested to see how XTB pulled this off.

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

Recognize that the IDW version is good looking doesn't make you less fan of G1 :D 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Says you :p 

I personally think that scale is perfect for menasor

4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's 20% shorter than their planned height, it's at least 20% too short.

5. Prime135

News Credits:
    You realize any and all combiner heights are completely arbitrary right? I mean Devastator is the only one on the season two scale chart, and he's on there twice. In other words, just because company A says he's this height doesn't mean that's the only possible height.

6. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Neither do I but I want the option. I dont usually display Mp10s Trailer open, but I would be furious if I knew that I dont have the option for some reason.

7. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

8. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    I think you're missing the point or maybe think I'm arguing for everything to be exactly the same height. I'm not. For display purposes in an MP collection, it makes the most sense to have all combiners intended for Masterpiece display to be in relatively the same range of height to provide a reasonable sense of relative scale to one another and to other MPs.

A few givens: The heights can vary, they don't have to be exactly the same height. The height for MPs is fundamentally significantly larger than CHUG combiners. Wanting MP combiners to be squashed down to the 14-15" height range is simply wrong for the scale. We already have a ton of CHUG combiners in that size, use one of those if you aren't concerned with having a good sense of relative scale in your display. TW's Constructor is the first truly MP scaled combiner, fitting the right size to scale properly alongside individual MP figures, and therefore sets a target. FT's Omega Supreme (and DX9's) adds another large figure that scales well with Constructor, further cementing a target height for MP combiners. If a Menasor shows up like 6 inches shorter than either of those, he's going to look pretty stupid and out of place in a Masterpiece display. Yes, Menasor is likely to be the shortest out of the G1 combiners but that wouldn't amount to much more than a couple inches shorter than the others. And that would keep the sense of scale intact.

9. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amen. You can even like bayformers and still be a G1 fan.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ragnar454

Ragnar454 Well-Known Member

Yes having the option is a nice bonus, but having a nice bonus at the expense of the other 2 modes for me isn't good. Triple changers sometimes have to sacrifice things to get 3 modes, and I think it will be hard enough to make proper combiner parts for this 20" combiner in the trailer. If they can do all 3 modes good, then awsome , I want it all.

11. Prime135

News Credits:
    See, I would argue that we have no idea how big an MP combiner should be, because while we may have some really excellent third party offerings, they still technically aren't masterpieces. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing third party, I fully intend to buy this and FT Devastator. However, if and until Takara produces a combiner, the scale set by TFC's Devastator is equally valid to that set by toyworld's.

Again, not trying to diminish or look down on third parties, I'm just pointing out that at the end of the day we call them third parties for a reason. Look at it this way, I guarantee that if Takara releases a masterpiece Devastator that is 18" tall at some point, any third party Mp combiners released after that point will be much smaller. The scale set by toyworld constructor, while impressive, at the end of the day means absolutely nothing.

12. Ragnar454

Ragnar454 Well-Known Member

My scale tastes are set by a mix of sunbow, cartoon, and mp10. So if TT starts a new scale, makes a OS 14" to sell more units , makes a 10" cliff jumper, or makes a masterpiece Devy the same size of cw Devy , that wouldn't change my scale wants for 3rd party. Other than the new megatron, I have passed of the recent TT offerings, so TT isn't much influence to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Prime135

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter, at the end of the day Takara controls the masterpiece industry. If they make a major change in their aesthetic or scale, it's not long before the third parties follow suit. Or am I the only one that noticed the sudden industry wide shift to toon accuracy, and influx of third party bayverse figures? ;) 

14. franpincho

franpincho Sunbow or fail TFW2005 Supporter

I just want new pics.

15. Prime135

News Credits:
    Agreed

16. edgecrusher

News Credits:
    No they don't. Oh jeez, where to begin.... I can't even.

As an aside, you're semantically conflating the concept of masterpiece with the product line Takara Masterpiece(tm) as if they're one and the same. Multiple 3P have released masterpiece figures that scale with Takara's Masterpiece figures, so even technically-speaking you're incorrect.

Yeah this is literally the worst set of arguments ever. And no, Takara would not release a CHUG-sized Devastator and tried to claim it was part of their Masterpiece line. Also, Constructor isn't setting the scale, Constructor is correctly fitting the scale set by MP-10.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime135

News Credits:
    Really? Then where's your rebuttal to the "worst set of arguments ever"?

As for toyworld devy, I'd actually say he's much too small:

[​IMG]

Or then again, maybe he's much too big:
    IMG_2899.PNG

Or maybe you're right and he's just right:
    IMG_2900.PNG

At the end of the day, I'm gonna go with my gut and say Takara will scale their combiners based on the individual team members. In which case, Devastator will be between 18 and 20 inches, and menasor will be between 15 and 18 inches.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I would need to disagree. Absolutely, if Takara ends up releasing a combiner, then that is the de facto official combiner "scale."

But i predict that would have a more marginal impact. Let's use devastator as an example.

Suppose TT releases an MP devastator that is 16" in height. Even if they announce one of the members tomorrow, by the time the set is complete DX9 and Xtrans Menasor will join 2 Omega Supremes and Constructor in the "3rd party MP combiner" scale. And that isn't counting other offerings from zeta, etc. Not announcements, but on-your-shelf-already availability.

Once this hypothetical MP devastator is released, what 3rd party will want to put the resources into designing and investing in a 18-19" omega supreme to complement the new official scale when 2 larger ones will already have been on the market?

Of course I'm assuming that most people who buy combiners will buy more than 1. But how many 3rd party companies would really want to retread the worn paths of 14-16" tall combiners when companies are now (thanks to both omegas being scaled to constructor, and both menasors now following suit) contemplating 48-50cm as the target height for future releases?

To put it simply, by the time a hypothetical 16" tall MP devastator is fully released, the 3rd party options in the "constructor scale" will have 2 omegas, and bare minimum menasor (xtb, dx9) bruticus (zeta) and superion (also zeta) out in the market. As a collector, do you want to go through the process of swapping out combiners to adopt the new official scale and simultaneously rebooting a portion of your collection? Will 3rd parties think there is enough demand to release a 3rd G1 MP menasor, but this time at a smaller height?

It very well may be possible and demand may in fact be there. But I would assume most companies would find the idea of producing a 50cm tall MP predaking to compliment a wider selection of combiners more "safe"-instead of resizing an Omega to complement a 16" tall official devastator with no indication whether Takara would go all in with combiners or if devastator would be their one and only attempt.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Although, apparently coincidentally, from what Qingtianzhu said. TW's random-ass 'scale chart' just so happened to have properly sized Constructicons and Dev.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Prime135

News Credits:
    Who said anything about 16" inches?!? Even I think that's too small! As for the combiners you named, I personally only plan on buying x-transbots menasor and fanstoys devastor at this point. None of the others even remotely fit with the rest of my MP collection (except maaaaybe UT bruticus) IMO. If hypothetical official versions were anounced, there wouldn't be much replacing to be done, and I honestly wouldn't mind having a couple duplicate combiners anyway.