X-Transbots movie Leader Optimus Prime hands.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool.

The word "prickle" makes me laugh though. Is that supposed to represent the fist he deployed to punch Shockwave in half?

If the price is right, I'm game. Wouldn't mind the swords either.

3. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell yea! Im down with these! I got the shapeways ones and they cant hold the swords properly.

4. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh nice! those look easy to install. Where do I buy them!

5. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I noted in the prior thread that was made for these, they are going to be sold with the chrome stacks for Leader Ironhide. Expect a retail price of $30+. I suggested they may want to offer these separately.

6. anubis20

News Credits:
    30+?? Might have to get a couple only then. I needed 4 for all my primes. Do you know if theyre just coming in one color? Yea its a mistake bundling them with the smokestacks for ironhide. I dont have one!

7. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope Fakebusker is ok with this since they blatantly stole his design.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Want.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I was planning on buying the Ironhide smokestacks, but I'm not going to if I have to get these hands too. I've already got Fakebusker's hands and I don't want to buy rip offs of them.

10. anubis20

News Credits:
    Maybe we can split a set or 2 :D  I have 2 sets of fakebuster's hands and while they look cool they wont hold anything, not the swords or buster cannon so I gladly welcome these. but I dont have an ironhide so I dont need the smokestacks.

11. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahh... so here it is.

Alright guys, so I'm just taking the opportunity to state here that I had nothing to do with this release, and it seems likely they are very inspired by my original design of Optimus knuckle hands.

I know many of you guys, and many of you guys know me, so I'm comfortable in sharing my thoughts on this business.

First and foremost, the customer deserves the very best. I believe only the best product deserves to sell, and I always try my very best to give the best of my ability for my Shapeways stuff. As several of you have put it, my hands are not designed to hold the Japan exclusive swords (I can't design for them if I don't have them) but they are capable of holding OP's buster rifle. They are also made to hold 5mm pegs as well.

On the bad side, my hands are subjected to the variances that come with 3D printing, and that's where most of the tolerance issues come in. So now, here's an alternative third party product that offers posability in all digits, a fold-out prickler, and ball-jointed wrists in molded ABS. Heck, if it were me I'll grab a few myself.

If you think UFO's hands fit your needs and you trust their level of quality, by all means go ahead and grab a few. It's nothing personal and I don't mind it one bit.

BUT BUT BUT BUT.

I must admit I am perturbed that the design is more than a little inspired by what I did. Posable fingers have been done before, nothing original about that, but I can safely say I am the first to have thought up of the knuckle mechanism, the 'C' gap structure in the palm for holding weapons, among other little ideas. It saddens me that this company just took what I did and replicated it with no attribution at all. They may end up with a more reliable product (maybe?), but it's intellectually dishonest and disrespectful.

1. I will not be encouraging anyone to boycott anything. You guys are all discerning customers, and you will know which is the better product and go for it. But keep in mind Ariel Lemon started it all.

2. I will not stop creating stuff on Shapeways. I do these for the love of the brand and for the fandom, not for money (oh well, for some beer money :lol ). I must admit this event has been discouraging for me, but on the bright side it was slightly flattering that someone actually cared to copy my stuff. What I will do is make my future designs harder to replicate conventionally, is all.

3. I love you guys. And I am hoping that you love me back and do this for me. Even though I am not encouraging anyone to boycott anything, if it is okay with you I want you guys to help me spread the word onto this vast Internet. Facebook, flickr, blogs, wherever.

"Ariel Lemon did it first. UFO did it later."

You can't stop people from copying stuff, but you sure can help customers be aware of where the designs come from.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gratuitous shot.

Edited to reflect the company name from X-Transbots to UFO Toys.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I hope you never stop selling on shapeways. Even if these hands ended up with a better quality and price there's always going to be supply issues with 3rd party stuff. But shapeways can just keep printing on and on. And 3D printing quality can only get better with time.

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    Sure thing! Do these guys have a Facebook page?

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    That sucks Ariel, but sometimes I find it interesting the gap between what is seen and done in radicons and when someone's work shows up here as a teaser For an upcoming item.

I think it's more common now that shapeways has gotten so popular

15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Not to be a downer but who's gonna carrry these fists & smoke stacks? Ebay somebody else? Also, I wonder how hard they're gonna be to install? I really don't wanna break my figs trying to put these on.

16. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My hat's off to you sir for not letting this take you down. It's like Mike's Hard Lemonade says "If you're original you can count on being copied."

17. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  18. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

19. hthrun

Ebay:
  20. hthrun