X-Transbots Master Mini Series MM-IV Ollie

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Superquad7, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here is the main discussion thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-transbots-mm-iv-ollie-mp-scaled-wheelie.html

This figure just came in for me, and I've been super-excited about getting it! I didn't see a pictorial review, though we already have a video review thread here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ot-mm-iv-survivalist-ollie-video-reviews.html

I took a few snapshots and thought I'd share a few initial thoughts:

[​IMG]

Cons:
    • Figure is extremely light-weight, being one of the lightest figures I own....
    • ....which is due to the thin plastic used;
    • Right out of the box, I feel like all samples are going to need a slight adjustment, whether that's a few screws or taking care of some looser joints (some joints are REALLY tight, and some are loose - not floppy, but does require some attention.

[​IMG]

Pros:
    • Design - the sheer strength of the figure is just how nicely it looks in both modes. The gray even becomes unnoticed on the hood as "inaccurate" and flows well with the overall design. The robot rocks.
    • Straightforward transformation design and it's balance of necessary simplicity and complexity is what I expect from a "Masterpiece" level figure; it's clever;
    • While the plastic is thinner, it seems as if a foresight for tolerances. Other than some joints being loose/tight, it seems this was thought out ahead to reduce breakages.
    • Poseability is nice. Some minor hindrances present, but there's nothing preventing "fun".
    • Weapon storage and inclusions are very clever, especially for dual alt/robot mode usage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only reservation I'd have recommending it is the plastic quality. As stated, there's a part of me that says much of its a foresight, as I think more brittle plastic wouldn't last. I feel like the thinner plastic is used where it needs to be, though, and it's not "cheap." The joints (looseness/tightness) can deceive one into thinking this. I think with a few very basic joint tweaks, mine will be great.

[​IMG]

(Did I mention that the robot mode rocks?)

I hope my thoughts are helpful! I gotta say that I've really enjoyed reading and watching everyone else's thoughts on this one as well. :D 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Perfect summary Allen, balanced and not knee jerking like majority of views.

3. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Nice review mate, neatly summed up.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! A part of me felt I wasn't being objective enough, as I feel I'm one of (the?) resident Wheelie fan. The character has ended so much hate over the years, that I felt that alone deserves a level of merit, and I always think he's fun in the show. He put up with Daniel!

I really like the figure, and I'm going to end up tightening the hip joints like many others have. I suppose I've also just got this mindset that when someone buys a figure - especially a third party custom figure (which is what they all are, whether it's by me or a single artist and/or a group) - that a certain level of modification is expected. It's something I have a lot of fun with, even if it's minor.

As said, honestly the only concern for me is the light weight and thinner plastic. That's really only whether I'd recommend it or not. As much as I like it, I think someone needs to know what they're getting into.

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Thanks for your review and insight! Go to hades for costing me money!

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was, without a doubt, probably the best way to describe this little guy. A+ sir.

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :lol 

Thanks again, especially as I said that I tend to be a bit biased when it comes to Wheelie. I was a bit afraid that those biases would not only hinder my own opinion of it, but also color my assessment a bit too positively.

My intention was not only to give it a fair handshake, but also provide a brief look to help others determine whether or not this is something they'd want or not.

8. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    anyplace just selling him and not in the two pack at around 50 bucks ?

9. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

Got mine new off eBay for 55 shipped a week or so ago. I think the seller still has some at that price.

10. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks, Ill check it out, who was the seller ?

11. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are his mismatched oranges as noticeable in person?

12. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

Seller id was avalanchejoe. Looks like he has 4 left at the moment.

13. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great thank you

14. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Damn, waiting for money to come in I missed out in joes last one. I had been watching that, too. Not meant to be.

16. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Concise and to the point, Allen, thank you for that review :thumb :

I certainly felt that thin plastic on handling this figure recently and was thoroughly discouraged from transforming my friend's specimen because I really did believe I was going to damage it without experience.

Can you give some detail about the minor hindrances to posability? I reckon that's an important factor to me in any decision I'd make about buying this one day, because in terms of looks it's right on the money.

All the best
    Maz

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props, bud!

As far as poseability, there's this: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/1007286-straight-legs-x-transbots-ollie-fixes.html

I really didn't notice that issue fixed with that above tutorial, but I do plan on revisiting that some time soon. I suppose if someone is looking for a hyper-poseable figure, this one isn't it. I think that plus my earlier statement makes that sound more like the figure is greatly hindered, which it's very much not. I achieved each of those poses on that soft blanket (meaning I was able to balance the figure on a surface that wasn't hard). In short, it's gonna pose in just about every which way you want it to, but it's not one of those "hyper-poseable" figures that can just do everything. There were a few strange poses that I wanted to try out (such as his lying down with his arms crossed) that I couldn't entirely pull off to my liking, but for basic action poses it's got just about everything. I think the few snapshots I've posted at least demonstrate that.

I think the main obstacle collectors will face is is this figure worth the price point? Admittedly, I think the $60 price point here is too high. $40-45 would have been a much more ideal price point. Then again, I'm one who thinks that typically all third party figures are too high, despite understanding much of why those prices are "justifiable."

The main thing that I really want to convince people about with this one is just don't let the type of plastic fool you with the quality. I think much of the softer, thinner plastic was used to prevent some things such as breakage were hard plastic used instead. As Maz said here, the design is spot on.