X-transbots Devastator "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by ichnach, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am glad too if it has helped you make a decision. Do post a review of the JB set when you are able to, I'll not be getting the JB set like I mentioned earlier but will be curious about it.

2. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool, and thanks for the heads up review of this set. I agree that I like the look of the XT head and legs; I just wish the QC for it was better, particularly the hands. I'll still wait for all the reviews for the JB set to come in before I make a final decision for which add-on to get for my Encore reissue Devy, but I'm leaning toward JB for playability and hopefully more stability/poseability.

Haha, and great picture, by the way. Daddy Hercules taking his overgrown son for a walk. XD

3. kek23k

kek23k Iaconhub Staff

I was in a similar position to the reviewer when I opened up my X-Transbots package (it's a really nice box btw!). Although I am not missing any components, I did see the stress marks on the waist/head connector and the fingers are awful (stress marks and they fall off). My hip cover also has some flash but it's on the back.

I'd class this as a garage kit and the price should really reflect that. It certainly will require some work until I'm 100% happy (filing the waist/head connector as mentioned and nail varnish on the digits).

As a garage kit it certainly beats my last 3rd party product which was the God Ginrai rubbery plastic add-on.

He can hold a pose and the thing that bugs me the most at the moment is he won't hold his gun.

If I'd known about the JB release, I would have held off and waited for that but I'm not gonna buy it as well. The JB one is missing the waist swivel the XP provides and it's also got green thighs (which I don't like). But the hands look a heck of a lot better, if simpler. I'm hoping I've managed to attach a pic of my Devy to this post.

I walked in to my secret dungeon to take the pic and let's face it, he looks cool as! So I reckon with a bit of work the XP add-on is pretty good but not at the price it's currently at. Heeeeeeeeeeerrreeee's DEVASTATOR!!!!

Attached Files:

4. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

DAT g1 head! I have to say, I am impressed with the JB one. I cancelled my preorder as well for chms, and will be ordering this one instead.

5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I must be in the minority here, because I really don't like the look of JB Devastator; he looks way too simple and cartoony and lacks a lot of details.

X-Transbots got the details right, too bad the quality is apparently crap.

6. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I like the JB one above, looks really good.

7. kek23k

kek23k Iaconhub Staff

I wonder if those heels come with the JB one as well? That could be another big +1 for the JB kit :D x

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thank you for not making me regret my decision to pass on this new, cheaper, Devi upgrade.

9. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maybe I was lucky but I'm pretty happy with mine. The fingers have some difficulty holding onto the gun, but they're not falling off or anything. The only other issue is that the waist piece is a different shade of green than the rest of the set. I'm actually using it with my G1 set for now, but plan on getting the encore when it goes on sale. It turned out to be a good investment for me!

10. swinne2000

swinne2000 Autobot Reinforcer

My XP-01 just came in today, but i don't have any issues except the hands, i just love it. I was doubting between the JunkionBlacksmith one and the Xp-01 but i didn't like the legs on the JB one so just ordered the Xp-01. And I got to say i think you just didn't got lucky cause my fingers were al in the hands and not floating around but they don't stay in that wel but overall i think it's a great set. Better than Crazy devy, and in my opinion better looking than the JB.

11. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    guess i should have posted it here instead:
    took more pictures tonight with an actual camera. I put nail polish on the finger joints and the shoulder connector for neckbreaker. Also, the right knee was mis-assembled but easily fixed. I feel with the fix it is now a solid figure, and nothing falls off when I pick it up. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought at first that the waist piece with the flaps was miscolored, and then saw that it's the same for everyone else too. Weird that they would recolor it like that when the green yellow on the leg piece that connects to Long Haul is fine.

It's pretty amazing how this is and isn't the CD set. The head is a 100% reproduction of the CD head. The only difference is that XP uses a translucent red plastic for the visor, which unfortunately lets you pinpoint exactly where the LED light is in the head. The CD uses a more solid looking plastic which when the light hits it, lights up the whole visor uniformly.

The hands are a straight rip from the CD set too, and has all the same loose issue flaws. The forearms are a straight rip as well, except for the new intermediary piece that interconnects the forearm with the upper arm and allows for inwards/outwards articulation that the CD didn't.

The guns are different, although the XP definitely used the CD as a base. The CD gun *is* the G1 gun just scaled up. What XP changed is adding a scope and a small stock which makes it look more like a sniper rilfe. They also added the ability to remove the barrel so you can have a smaller SMG style gun. I'd say its an improvement over the CD, except for one minor caveat: the XP has no hole in the tip of the barrel, it's completely solid.

If you wanted the CD set, this is definitely the low cost way to go, and adds articulation the CD never had. I think the plastic quality is comparable, although there's some flash and the sprue cuts aren't as clean as they could be in places. Although nothing that I thought visibly impaired the aesthetic. If you really like the light up function of the CD head, this doesn't quite compare. But if you never saw the CD head lit up, or cared that it does, it's a non-issue.

13. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  14. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the head supposed to light up right out of the box? Mine doesn't. Also my gun barrel piece seems bent or something.

15. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes it's supposed to light up right out of the box.

Barrel on mine isn't 100% straight either.

16. stormshadow0621

stormshadow0621 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got my "silver" set from BBTS (sale). Didn't have a original or encore devastator, so I tried it on my $10 devastator I got from Chinatown years ago. Joint connections were super tight. Pelvic connection was loose (fixed with nail polisher). Now he looks badass.

This saved me $128.88 since I was thinking of getting a encore just to get this look. Now I can get the MT Giant next.

By the way, there were no issues with my set.

[​IMG]

17. dlinvader

dlinvader Active Member

i got this a month ago from ioffer, and i will say other than trying to get mixmaster and scrapper onto the legs and such...the biggest issue i am having right now is trying to get the blasted arm piece onto bonecrusher not sure if the forearm connection is too big or too small...but i been thinking of maybe going with cravy devys forearms do they fit better than the x-transbots one?

18. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

What kind of G1 Devastator do you have? The vintage and the Ko ones have different post sizes, in fact I remember crazy devy making two versions of their forearms set. Not sure at what version this upgrade is aimed.

19. dlinvader

dlinvader Active Member

not sure i think it was encore