X-transbots Devastator "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by ichnach, Jan 18, 2012.

1. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    same here man... but I recall you saying at the other post this set would be crummy and ....wala.... you were right...

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

So don't say that JB will be crummy. Say it will be excellent.

3. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

I cancelled my preorder, too - went with the JB one...hopefully that will receive better reviews...

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    ...are you one of those collectors who bought all the CD stuff? :lol 

5. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

I also pre-ordered the JB-07 set at BBTS. Looks much better than the X-transbots upgrade. Let's hope that it doesn't have missing pieces, and no problems with Encore Devastator.

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Yes sir! Well, all the Devy and Predaking stuff, the rest, I don't care.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    All I want is ratcheting hips and I will buy the whole freakin set and still use the cd parts. All this review told me is that these are as crappy as the cd stuff, but the CD stuff looks better.

8. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Except the CD is not crappy. Fit, look and finish are perfect with the CD stuff. At least as far as the Devy upgrade kits are concerned.

9. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Holy crap, whats with the over-reaction over this set. Nothing against the reviewer but he's using the wrong Devastator... one that the set wasn't even designed to go with.

TFW member pingth has the same set on the Encore Devy and it looks badass. Hope he doesn't mind me using his pic:

[​IMG]

10. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I nearly ordered this a few days ago, but shipping alone was around $20-25 so I decided to wait. I too have only a G1 Devy so I don't think I'll go for it after all :lol 

What's the other upgrade set people are talking about, that junkion one?

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    How could they design an upgrade kit around a set that wasn't even released at the time? The Encore set is not identical to the original G1 release AFAIK...

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If I get Encore Devs I might just get the JB set, this set looked alright, but stress marks out of the box and the fingers, nah, I will pass on this set.

13. zy80

zy80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    I said my use of G1 devy could be an issue, but that still doesn't excuse the shitty hand quality or lack of a head. Also, thats not the chest shield that comes with the kit, he's using the original 1. Not that the chest shield that came with this looked bad, it's one of the things they did well.

15. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi everyone, to clear some air about the xtransbot devy add on set that I have, my set is not flawless like many others who had given their feebacks. When I opened mine, I already saw stress marks on all the finger attachment pegs on the main hand and falling fingers. I think it is due to poor design. I have bought the set from overseas and I figure that it will be troublesome to do any returns / exchange etc. What I did was that I apply nail polish to all the finger joints and it seems to work so far.

The other problem I have with this set is the attachment piece connecting Hook & Long Haul. The original takara tomy attachment piece can peg and attach more securely but the xtransbot piece is more or less just holding by friction and tend to slip off when you fiddle too much with devastator.

I think the preview pictures that we saw before these xtransbots add on is being released requires quite a lot of effort to put together, or they might have sacrifice the toy by fix-gluing them together to pose in some manners that they have shown in their pictures.

And this afternoon, I filed off a section of the attachment (connecting between long haul and hook) recommended by others and indeed it works wonder. I can't say I'll recommend this set as it does have its flaws but for myself personally, since I have bought it, I'll try to rectify the faults it has as much as possible and make good use of it. I am the kind of person who holds much sentimental values to my toys once I own them.

Also, I have chosen to get this set because crazy devy's price is way too high for me and I am paying only a fraction of what would have been crazy devy's price to have a full set to enhance G1 devastator, hence I don't mind doing some rectifications on my own. i have also heard about crazy devy's set isn't entirely flawless, they seem to have problems with falling fingers as well.

When I got this set, JB hasn't announced theirs yet, hence my comparison then was purely between xtransbots and crazy devy. Now that I already own xtransbot, I don't think I will spend $$$ on JB, so I don't think I'll be able to comment much on JB set. It will be better that that I spend the $$$ on other transformers items. Anyway, missing head etc is indeed something that is inexcusable. But it does happen even to Hasbro and Takara Tomy. Recently, there has been cases of TF Prime cliffjumper missing the head in its brand new package and I have heard of missing head in brand new Takara Tomy Encore devastator as well. So....I guess just have to claim the missing part back from the supplier or manufacturer whether or not they are third party. In all reasonability, they should do a replacement.

16. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, one more thing is regarding the chest shield for the xtransbot. The chest shield that I got from xtransbots seem to have a thick peg and I was afraid if I am to force it in into Hook, I may get stress mark. So I ended up using the the original chest shield which to me isn't all that bad, if not better than the xtransbots one. So it is really up to individual preference. Of course if I want to, I can choose to file down the xtransbot one and fit it in but that will take time, maybe I'll do that when I am more free.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's unfortunate about the missing head and all. Really should be replaced by the vendor/retailer. That said, this set is meant for the Encore #20 reissue of G1 Devy, not the original from what I've read. Disappointed that the fingers are just as craptastic as the Cravy Devy parts (which are seriously overpriced for not much better aesthetics, IMHO).

I'm on the fence about this set now especially with the quality control issues. The Junkion Blacksmith parts look promising but appear simpler in aesthetics than these (and cheaper pricepoint to match), with no light up LED head (does come with two heads though, the bald and non-bald look). Hopefully the JB parts are sturdier with better QC and more secure attachments. I have Encore Devy and I'm torn as to which set to choose now. X-Transbots or Junkion Blacksmith.

And thanks for the clarification and overview of this (nice-looking if flawed) set, pingth.

18. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  19. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention - the G1 Devy I am owning now is the recent encore release.

Timesynch, thanks for pasting the comparison pics for the xtransbot and JB set. Looking the pics alone, hmmm...think I personally prefer the xtransbot head but I do like the hand of the JB set that comes with a peg hole so that it allows for holding the rifle more securely. The xtransbot hands do not hold its rifle well. The playability is not there with the rifle, more for display and photo taking purposes.

And just to add on a little something off topic, the reason why I bought this encore G1 Devastator & the Xtransbot set is because I was already ordering the TFC Hercules way beforehand....and I just like to own the original G1 version of the Devastator which TFC Hercules homage to. And further to that, I went ahead to get the encore G1 Devastator is also because I have seen preview pictures of the xtransbot set (before it is officially being released) of what it can do to enhance the G1 Devastator giving him more articulation and posability before I decided to get the both the G1 Devastator and Xtransbot, otherwise I wouldn't actually be too impressed with just the G1 Devastator alone.

[​IMG]

20. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Thanks for this review, very helpful! I've gone ahead and cancelled my order and preordered the JB set instead.
    Thanks again!
    Later