Legion (X-Men) - FX show discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ABH1979, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Two X-Men TV Shows in Development: "Legion" at FX, "Hellfire" at Fox - Comic Book Resources

Things are warming up between Marvel and FOX....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes if Marvel allows this, that means they made a deal of some kind.
    But the subject matters are a little odd. Legion has never supported a long term comic and the Hellfire club were never really the good guys.

I would have expected Generation X, Dazzler, or an x-character or team that have supported their own series.

Could be why they haven't announced movies, could they be trying to introduce certain FF or FF related characters? And Jeph Loeb is involved ....depending on how much it could be bad. But as he's high up at Marvel it probably means their involvement.

Is this coming to a Marvel Movie?
    [​IMG]

3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Marvel is co-producing with FOX, with Jeph Loeb listed as a producer on both shows.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    So now we wait to find out what Marvel got. They are probably holding back some big announcement on their end. Also if they are working this closely....could some x-characters show up in the big Infinity crossover movies?

This comes a week after three new movie slots were announced with no titles by Marvel, very curious what those are now, also where they will cram them in the schedule.

Also maybe we will start seeing X-merchandise from Marvel again.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. If this is allowed to happen, I bet Marvel gets Fantastic Four back.

6. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Maybe the deal went, if you co-produce these shows with us AND let us show them on our networks, we'll fork over the rights to F4.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There are getting to be so many damn comic book shows now they just need to start their own network.

Comic Book TV. IN the process they can also bring back Constantine and every comic book based show moves to that network.

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I really don't care about Legion or the Hellfire Club (but if the shows are good, I'll watch) -- I'm just interested to see where this new cooperative spirit between Marvel and FOX leads next.

That doesn't make any sense -- comicbook characters are money-makers on the big screen, so it makes sense that each network would want their own shows on their respective corners of the small screen.

9. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    This is why Fox can't get anything right when it comes to comic book properties. Who wants to see these characters as of 50-something years ago? Why not just put some effort in to not fucking it up and make it a current-day setting?

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could see it be part of the deal if they got back FF to not announce that until the recent FF movie is released on video for a certain amount of time. This allows Fox to get as much $$ return as they can. I could see people that might have bought the DVD to skip it knowing Marvel got the rights back so no point in watching the film that will never have follow up.

11. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Why does it matter whether or not it's present day? Shows like Mad Men and Agent Carter are period shows and they do fine.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I like the period settings. It adds more variety to the genre, and I think its fun to see mutants interact with well-known historical events. I will admit that Hellfire sounds like it might retread the plot of First Class a little too much even though it won't have an X-Men team as far as we know.

13. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, but they are starting to over saturate the market. Too many shows and too many movies are going to make people sick of them. Hell, I'm kind of sick of there being so many of them. It's why I don't bother with The Walking Dead, Gotham (not that I am missing much), etc.

iZombie is the only thing I watch that is not connected to the Arrow/Flash verse or the Marvel movie universe, and I'm going to try to keep it that way from now on. It is the only reason I am going to watch Supergirl.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  16. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    None of these things interest me nor any of my friends. In fact, you're the first person I've interacted who thinks a team with so much contemporary potential sounds like an idea that should be transplanted into a half-century ago.

Quite literally all of the X-Men fans I know in my personal life have been nothing but disappointed with the movies we've been given. They are decent and passable at best. There's been going on 8 of them and not a single one of them have been an actual X-Men movie. The canon is screwed to hell, major characters are reworked into being third-tier cameos and the best plots have been crapped on in order to make screen time for Hugh Jackman's bland loner kid-appeal character.

No one has ever cared about Legion. He's a D-list character who spent most of his existence locked away because no one had any want or desire to do anything with him. Why not give X-Factor a TV show or something?

Hellfire Club? I can get the notion of wanting to make the villains the main characters of a series, but you know nothing will ever come of it. We've seen a number of futures already in that continuity where they don't exist, let alone rule/manipulate anything. Making it another new reality instead of the poor one the movies already gave us is just going to make it harder to succeed in that universe. If I wanted to watch Mad Men, I would watch Mad Men. Not a spinoff from a badly-handled movie franchise that's only just this side of being DC's movie pratfalls.

I long for the day when we are actually given X-Men related screen content, as opposed to these half-assed reimaginings that Fox doesn't have the balls to admit they fucked up with 12 years ago.

17. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

First off... THANK YOU! ... because all of this needed to be said. Second, i agree with the mishandling of major X-Men characters being nothing more than third-tier cameos (Bishop, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Angel, Sunspot, Warpath, Blink, Jubilee)... Hell, even Cyclops & Storm (two of the most popular X-Men ever) hardly get any real development. (Imo) the Fox X-Men movie series has never been about the characters in Uncanny X-Men, there all about giving the more popular & in-demand actor/actress the screen time to sell that film. I've mentioned this somewhere on this site before, that if Fox got someone like Johnny Depp to play Thunderbird (terrible casting choice right there) they'd actually revolve the entire movie around him (even though Thunderbird was never that important or major to the X-Men)... and that's Bullsh*t! They don't give a damn about the characters, only the actors who are "suppose" to be playing that character.

... And now they want to give us tv series based on Legion & The Hellfire Club??? Um... those are some weird picks to say the least. Fox hasn't given proper development to characters like Cyclops, Colossus, Kitty Pryde or Storm... but they want to give us a whole television series based on Legion... WTF!!! See... this is that Bullsh*t i'm talkin' about. They could give us X-Factor, X-Force/The New Mutants, Excalibur, The Exiles, The Brotherhood, The Morlocks, even Longshot & Dazzler battling Mojo & Spiral in the tv/mojoverse as a show is better. Idiots!

18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

... maybe they are saving the other teams (X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, etc) for potential movies?

How the hell could you do the mojoverse on a TV budget?

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's not too different from what Marvel's doing with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I stopped watching after about 10 episodes, but did they ever feature any big name characters that weren't only there for cameos? I guess they are expanding with Daredevil and other characters on their Netflix series', but it's not like they introduced Thor or Cap on one of those shows.

Also, yes, the TV budget vs. Movie budget is huge and wouldn't do some of the more well known X-Men justice. Keeping C-Listers on TV makes sense, but it can still prove to make for interesting TV. I would love to see an adaptation of Maddrox's X-Factor team be made into a TV Show.

20. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

Well, i don't think Longshot or Dazzler would be that hard to pull off (there pretty simple when it comes to powers... luck & light). Mojo could be the evil antagonists in the shadows while Spiral is front & center for most of the series. The mojoverse would be nothing more than a sci-fi television studio with the ability to form crazy but realistic illusions (that can actually kill it's actors & audience participants) similar to the danger room. Just think... it's the television show Heroes meets a low budget Running Man (starring Big Arnold) ... nothing too complicated.