X-Men question

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by yodafett, Jun 6, 2011.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ok, so my wife is starting to get into comics a bit now, and is especially interested in Jean Grey/Phoenix. I've been a long time x-men, I think I've completed a list of the most important stories for her, an Essential Jean Grey, if you will, but would love input for missed storylines or ideas.
    So far I have:

Origin story, obviously (what version do you think the most compelling/modern retelling of her origin is?)

Dark Phoenix saga

X-factor story line about Nathan and sending him to the future

The wedding story arc from X-Men v2

Morrison Arcs about re-manifestation of powers and her death

Phoenix Warsong/Endsong

Any opinions on including Madelyne stuff? it's not really about Jean, but IS seminal to her and Scott's relationship.

Thanks in advance.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't bother with Madelyne Pryor personally, going down that road leads to Inferno and I woulden't wish that on anyone.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    You'll need the Essential X-factor volume 1, since that one deals with her first return after everyone thought she died as Phoenix. If I'm not mistaken, volume 1 also collects the Avengers/Fantastic Four issues that lead up to X-Factor 1. You can also get the subsequent volumes after that, if you feel they're interesting.

You can also try Executioner's Song if its easy to find. The story is typical of a 90s X-Men event, plot twists and guest stars galore, but focuses a lot on Scott and Jean's relationship with Stryfe and Cable.

As for Madelyne Pryor, well, get Inferno only if you want to see the ramifications of Scott leaving her for Jean (Cyclops pretty much is a jerk for it)

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yep Cyclops leaves his wife and young child for a woman who looks just like his wife.(Madelyne is a clone of Jean) Jean didn't know about Maddy at the time. And Madelyne was basically driven mad with jealousy with a little help from MR. Sinister. People complained about the White Queen when their affair first started, but lets face it, it's not the first time Scott Strayed.

5. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Ah yes, which reminds me, you can also get X-Men Mutant Genesis, which starts off the "flirtation" between Psylocke and Cyclops (Man what is it with Cyclops and telepaths?), and Jean's eventual discovery of it and the reconciliation between them. Some of the issues after it have not been collected in trade, but they're basically in X-Men issues 16-30 or so.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm wondering... when I was a child I read Days of Future Past and in one story there is a flashback that they wanted to marry and when Jean wants to see his eyes, he blasts her. So she was supposed to be dead. But when I started to read comics again, she was alive. When was she revived and how?

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

When X-Factor started, which was 86ish IIRC. They said that Pheonix just copied Jean and the original was then conviently found in a cocoon underground.

Claremont had intended that she was dead for good and that Cyclops was going to retire with Pryor (who he intended to be just a normal woman that looked like Jean). This being company owned superhero comics thougth, editorial decided she was coming back for X-Factor and the trainwreck ensued.

8. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    That was kind of my thought, but I couldn't remember if there was anything else substantial to their 'ship. I know that eventually, I'll have to explain Cable, and there-by Mady... and Rachel... and then Stryfe and Nate Grey... and the she'll want to read the mini's about Red and Slim when they raised Nathan...

Essential X-Factor #1 is on my list. Which one contains them sending Nathan into the future? Is is in #4 or #5? (assuming they're both out...) I could probably google, but I'm losing a wrestling match with a 1 year old and am already splitting my attention too much, lol

Good point about 'Song, I forgot about how much it played on their family dynamics.

I found her the wedding issue of X-men today at Half Priced Books for 0.25, so that made her day, lol

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    It should be in 4, if it does come out and if they make it thick enough. Otherwise it'll be in 5. Not sure how well the art will come out there since it's pretty dark towards the end of the run. Might be faster for you to find it through ebay, shouldnt be expensive either :) 

10. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Skip the Jean Grey stuff and go straight for Astonishing X-Men. Scott/Emma is way better than Scott/Jean. Wolverine can have Jean when she returns from the dead again. Plus, X-Men comics have been great since the decimation and especially since the move to the West Coast.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Heh, this is what I love about comics. One man's awesome is another man's terrible. I pretty much agree about the Scott and Emma stuff,but everything since Decimation caused me to finally give up read Uncanny and Legacy, two books that I've been collecting since the 80s (and 1991 when adjectiveless debuted). The San Fran, 191 mutants, but really only about 5 or 6 focusing on Cyclops, Emma, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, and now Magneto mutants has just killed my franchise.

12. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:

I know what you're saying, and I agree that, while I don't care for Emma herself, I think it's the first real character growth they've done with Scott since the 90's, my wife is a fan of Jean, not Scott, so that's why I'm focusing on her.

Thanks again to everyone for the input! :)