X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I agree. Frankly, I greatly prefer stories and characters depicted well in one film as opposed to recurring characters in film series that seem to go nowhere.

Maybe it's because of the success of super hero and other comic book movies, where the source material was often an ongoing comic, that many people want movies where every character lives to fight another day unchanged from their experiences, but I prefer the old approach to movies and series of movies.

EDIT: Either way, I think a compelling story for Dark Phoenix certainly can be built up in one movie. Multiple movies are not required. Whether a compelling story will be told is up in the air.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I don't think that it multiple movies need to be set up, but something more than "People fear my power statement to mega-Jean in one movie" is kinda needed here imo.

Further problem it just feels like from the trailer, another Jlaw, Xavier, and magneto movie where Jean/Phoenix is just plot fodder.

Hope I'm wrong, but based on the past 3 movies I just don't see much changing in the structural dynamic of these stories.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh my god, I just learned they pushed this movie back AGAIN. :lol  Why not just scrap it all together?

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm sorry the movies are never going to have the 17 years of setup the comics had. And I'm sorry you don't understand the difference between a weekly tv series and how movies that come out only once every few years work. Movies that FOX is never going to be able to make any more of, which renders the multiple movie setup idea moot.

Just don't watch this one.

Now that Disney is getting the X-Men rights, wait for the inoffensively bland fluff version they will eventually do.

But if you think there haven't been stories more intricate and more emotionally impactful than the Dark Phoenix Saga told within the runtime of a single movie, you have spent your whole life watching only shit movies.

And lastly, lol@ pointing to the FOX cartoon as an example of good storytelling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Disney has proven time and time again that they do not always go child friendly. Why does everyone think this all of the time?

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think you're even listening.

I never said that stories can't develop proper emotional ties in one setting. Just that this particular story doesn't work in that format, if they seek to do it any justice.

To re-reiterate, the impact of the story comes from taking a well-known, developed character with defined emotional ties and relationships with multiple characters, and then straining those connections and subverting them and watching how the characters react to that development.

It absolutely relies on pre-existing bonds to exist with both the characters and the audience to make its mark.

Those connections simply don't exist yet. Much ado was made about how bland, unlikeable, and forgettable Sophie Turner's Jean Grey was in Age of Apocalypse, so they've already got an uphill battle ahead just selling her character at all. And now she's supposed to be the central character in a conflict that revolves around her currently non-existent chemistry and emotional attachments? I don't buy it.

With her shallow characterization as a troubled and moody teen in Apocalypse, already with a guilty chip on her shoulder (in contrast to her popular, girl-next-door-type of the comics), and then jumping straight into Dark Phoenix, this just seems like the story of another of Prof. X's students with a dark streak. She's been set up to fall to the path of villainy right from the get go. It's not going to be a heartwrenching story in which Wolverine (who doesn't even exist in this version of the story) and Cyclops have to put aside their differences and possibly kill the love of their life and all the emotional baggage associated. There's no developing how she's an integral part of the team that will sorely be missed when she's gone. They've barely even established that she's like a surrogate daughter to Charles. There's way too much there to go about establishing now, in about an hour before the movie shifts up into high gear for its climax. And if that's the route they take, again I ask, what even is the movie up until that point? An hour of superhero movie with no conflict outside of teenage angst? Blech.

Even casting aside how they're totally gonna botch this story trying to tell it in one take, I have my sincere doubts about this film's ability to succeed because it's meant to be a tale with a load of emotional baggage, attached to a film franchise that has never been particular great with the emotional drama in the first place. Putting aside Logan (which defies being put into the box of an "X-Man movie"), its only real high point was maybe Erik's loss of family in Apocalypse, only for the film to do nothing with that and for Magneto to become a living prop for the rest of the story. Otherwise, throughout the previous films in the franchise, it's been mostly trite teen romance, and a few shallow bonding moments that ultimately go nowhere. Nothing emotionally heavy and affecting.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What Mx is saying is that he feels the impact of Jean becoming Dark Phoenix is lost without her being a fully fleshed out character in advanced. Think of with Batman vs Superman. That was the second film in the DC movieverse, but they still went ahead and killed Superman off, which had no impact whatsoever as not only did you know he was going to be back in Justice League, but there wasn't enough time to get attached to the character between just the two movies. Not to mention from a writing standpoint he was only Superman for like a few months. That wasn't enough time to get the citizens of that world to really care about him. His death should have been saved for what would have been the big battle with Darkseid at the end of the second JL film as then it would have had weight to it.

Yes, you guys are right in that a well written movie can make you care about a character in a short running time, but that doesn't mean it should always be that way. Some stories just need time to ferment and there was nothing in Apocalypse that showed we cared about this version of Jean enough to want to see what the walk to the dark side does to her. Hell, even with the previous movies, we got to know Jean a bit and we mourned her death at the end of X2 because we did get to know her. In this rebooted world, we just know she exists. Hell, I hate the actress that plays her, so all I want to see Dark Phoenix just to see her die. That's not how it should be. I shouldn't want to see Jean die.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's my line. Also, you are putting the original Dark Phoenix on a much higher pedestal than it belongs. It was a great comic for its time, especially compared to the comics of the day, but it's not the greatest story ever told and a timeless classic of modern literature the way you build it up to be.
    You could have killed Superman off in the FIRST movie and had a ton of emotional impact, if it had been well written. If (and admittedly, given how mediocre at best Days of Future Past and Apocalypse were, it's a BIG if) Jean is fleshed out in this movie, that is enough. There are a billion better stories than Dark Phoenix Saga -- even if it were adapted line for line and with all the side tracks the comic took during those issues -- where characters were introduced, well established, went through changes, died, we saw the emotional impact on the other characters and were affecting, that were told in a single movie.

And again, to both of you, just don't watch it. There's no reason you have to. I have to this day still never watched Wolverine Origins. If you're sure it's not going to do the story or characters justice and that you won't like it, just don't go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The only way I'd watch it is if someone bought my ticket or I want to watch Sophia Turner die in something.

10. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Yeah.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Then fine, problem solved. You already knew they weren't going to be wearing the costumes you wanted anyway.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really, my only experience with the story is the version of it they told on the Fox Kids animated series. I'm just reading into the elements that I'd think most fans would want to see out of an adaptation that hits all the high notes of that saga.

All I'm saying here is that, as I'm familiar with it, the Dark Phoenix story one that revolves around breaking up the status quo with the team in a shocking and dramatic way. I have my doubts that they can adapt this story with any degree of faithfulness, as they've done a poor job so far establishing that status quo leading into it.

From what we've seen so far, obviously it's going to be "a version of" the story, rather than any form of direct adaptation. But I have my doubts it'll be able to capture any of the important elements of the saga when they've given themselves remarkably little to work with.

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Oh ffs. Why was I even discussing this then

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  16. davidguttermans

davidguttermans New Member

Who ever made this is a genius.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    BREAKING BAD Star Bryan Cranston Is Still Hoping To Play X-MEN Villain Mister Sinister

Bryan Cranston - who has been a fan-favourite choice for the role for a while - has once again said he would like to play a comic book movie villain and says that the character he'd like to suit up as will have to be "an antagonist a fraction smarter than the protagonist, never dumbed down to give the hero an easy win."

When it was then put to him that Mister Sinister fits the bill, he added: "Actually, that was the character, I’ll admit. Mister Sinister was the character I was thinking about."

Maybe in the MCU.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  19. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    This is why I hate "news" from IMDB...

...because as usual, that's incorrect. He did not have cameos in X2 or First Class either.

Anyway, the main one I cared about was Avengers 4, so I'm happy with that. Though I'm sure we will indeed also see him in Captain Marvel, and more than likely, Spider-Man: Far From Home as his official final one.

20. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

He didnt have any cameo in Days of Future Pasts and all the Wolverine movies as well