X-Men Comics Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Spartan Prime, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Aight, I searched and found nothng, so if I'm making a new thread about an old topic, let me know.

X-Men comics, thoughts on them? Good/bad, characters you want to praise or shat on, creative choices, predictions?

The new monumental stoyline "Schism" is hitting store shelves next Wednesday. In it, the leadership and Cyclops has forged by uniting all of the remaining Mutantkind as one nation is threatened by an (as of yet) largely unknown force, while inside their ranks, Wolverine apparently leads some form of coup d'etat after coming to disagree with his tactics and leadership.

Quote writers, it will divide the X-Men world in two, as these two apparently renew their rivalry from the 1990's on a grander scale. Thoughts?

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I'm cautiously optimistic on this. I mean, anything will be better than vampires. For the last few years, I've really come to enjoy the X-Men books again but I feel the stories are not really going anyway.

With Schism I feel there's a real attempt to inject some life back into the titles, and maybe give you a reason to pick up the various titles again. If it works well you'll actually want to read a Wolverine story and not just buy the latest issues of X-Men to star Wolverine regardless of the story.

3. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I haven't read an X-Men comic in years. Although I have picked up numerous Wolverine trades that specifically exclude the X-Men.

Do they still have their story arcs go through multiple titles like they did in the 90s? I really hated when they would use 4 or 5 titles to tell a story. Every time I saw "Continued in X-Force #23!" or "See Unknown Book #1 next month" it irritated me greatly. I only had subscriptions to 2 comics so missing half the stories is what made me stop reading in my later teens.

4. ProwlPrime

ProwlPrime Active Member

Ebay:
    Given that Wolverine and Cyclops ended their rivalry over 20 years ago, in terms of character its a step backwards for both Wolverine and Cyclops. It would make far more sense if the split was between Cyclops and Storm, given that Storm was the sole leader of the X-Men throughout the 1980s, and co-leader for the past 20 years until she was essentially written out of the book as Black Panther's wife. Nevertheless, this could be interesting. I just wish the writers knew the characters better than they do.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Their rivalry was sparked back up a few years ago and was really tested in the X-Force series. I think it's going to spin off that; Wolverine not agreeing with Cyclops choices.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I collected X-Men comics for damn-near twenty years. Have an almost complete run of Uncanny from issue 100 on, and a complete adjective-less run. But the last time I really enjoyed X-Men comics was Brubaker's run on Uncanny, Carey's initial run with the team of Rogue, Cable, and Iceman, and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Then came the post M-Day status, and I quickly started to lose interest. First came the return of franchise wide crossovers and variant covers. Next was the move to San Fran, and then the sole focus on Cyclops, Emma, Wolverine, Beast, and Rogue throughout all the titles. The franchise is barely recognizable to me anymore, and I finally dropped my longest collected titles last year. I don't really miss them to be honest.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah, the series became a big mess. A blue/ gold team like at the end of the clareamont run would be a good idea. However, they are mostly rehashing old stories/ plots and not focusing on individual characters. Wolverine is on too many teams and both Cyclops and Professor X have been almost turned into antiheros as bad as Magneito used to be. It's less of a superhero team and more like a soap opera, only a bad poorly paced one with inconsistent continuity. They need to have teams with certain characters who are exclusive to their teams and don't appear on multiple teams. With the amount of characters they have and the amount of books they have, really each book should host and focus on different members that play off each other's personalities well.

8. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I've been reading X-Men off and on since the 80's and I think the the Whedon run on Astonishing X-Men to the present has been the best that X-Men has even been. I love the move to San Fran and the focus on Cyclops. I also love the stories involving Emma, Wolverine, Colossus and Pryde. The return of the New Mutants and all the stuff with Magik has been a fun 80's/90's throwback.

It has been great to see old characters returned to the spotlight and at the same time to see new characters be introduced and developed (especially the science squad). Adding Namor and Magneto to the fold has been great since they are both very strong leaders who stand up to Cyclops. The new X-Force stuff has been very cool and dark. The Hope story arcs with Cable in the future were mostly good and her integration into Utopia has been interesting. X-Factor has been great since the beginning and it is still going strong.

Overall, I think this is a great time for the X-Men. There are several different X books and they all have a different tone and style so I think there is an X book for just about anyone.

9. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I love my X-Men comics, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the multiple titles that feature the same 6-10 characters (excluding X-Factor and New Mutants). I'd like to see them split the titles into different teams that work separately.

As far as the current storylines go, I love what they've done with Cyclops. He's fufilling the dream that Xavier was never able to accomplish... I just hope Schism doesn't undo all of that.

Also, I would really like to see the characters from "New X-Men" get their own title again, (ie: Hellion, Prodigy, Surge, Dust, Anole, Pixie, Rockslide, etc)

10. Spartan Prime

I hope not. Cyclops put the kibosh on the X-Factor deathsquad, and Wolverine put another team back together behind his back to carry on the job. If that's what it was, it would make Wolverine a bit of a hypocrite when it all came to light.

I never really saw Cyclops as an antihero since his "reboot" as the character he is now. He's not much of a hero anymore in my eyes at all, really. He's a wartime leader-figure moreso. You don't see him saving the day from evil forces, you see him protecting his "nation" and "people". He's more concerned with keeping mutantkind safe and alive, and doesn't much concern himself with things beyond that, and the decisions he's had to make to ensure that haven't been sunny or easy, but I don't think it makes him less a leader. Just a smart general.

Xavier though. Man, Kitty was right about him...
    [​IMG]

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I was subscribed to a few X-titles a few years ago through a multi-title promotion, but was losing interest. I was going to let my subscriptions run out, but got a call with a really good offer and decided to keep some going. Now they're coming near an end again and I'm planning to let them go.
    But I just subscribed to X-Force to get my Deadpool fix. I was subscribed to Deadpool's main title, but they canceled Deadpool subscriptions (and Venom, too! My two favorite comics!!!).

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I just read X-Factor and X-Force.

Having read X-men comics for years.... I find too many recycled themes. I've read these stories before. Plus it was more fun when 3 titles covered the X-universe a month. 2 weekly isn't affordable. They need to bring back the "all new, all different".

13. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I stop reading X-men after the The Twelve & Ages of Apocalypse. It was getting dumber and dumber after that, especially after killing Jean Grey off.

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure about Schism, I feel like they are doing to Scott and Logan what they did to Steve and Tony. Why do they feel like they need to rip teams apart like this? Using the guys seen as leaders to take different stances on a decision, are they going to kill off one of them at the end of this too?

15. Spartan Prime

That's my big beef with this. I doubt I'll side with Logan regardless of what's up (Scott has proven himself time and again to be a hard motherfucker [Read X-Men Utopia for a perfect example] while not being the toughest in a fight). But I feel like they JUST got the remaining mutants all under one banner for the first time, and I'd have liked to see more of that. Tearing them in two... well, it had better be for a good reason.

Like I said before, if it's because of Scott's leadership decisions, it makes Logan a hypocrite.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    They didn't need a good reason to have the heroes fight in Civil War :p  sadly it's all about "events" lately, and not just good comic stories.

17. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I just hope they end the stuff going on between Magneto and Rogue in X:Men Legacy, their relationship is beyond unbelievable.

18. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Are they dating? :vomit:

19. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    My favourite era was the Claremont & Silvestri partnership (Fall of Mutants & Inferno) along with Simonson & Simonson on X-Factor. IMO great stories back then with great artwork. Things fell apart for me after Uncanny#300. Never really read the book consistently after that.

20. Spartan Prime

Possible spoilers based on X-Men Schism #2 of 5:

The young lad attempting to power grab at the Hellfire Club will end up dead by Cyke's order, rallying Wolvie to outcry (in a recent X-Force issue we saw that Logan wouldn't kill an innocent kid, even though he was the eventual vessel for Apocalypse) and revolt against him.