X-men arcade coming to ps3 and xbox live (6 players)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Oct 9, 2010.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

having recently played it again, it definitely has not stood the test of time.

simpsons/avp/cadillacs and dinosaurs/punisher plz.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voice overs don't affect me too much. I don't really remember them well enough anyway. I do like local 6 players. That large number multiplayer fun will be an experience that I do remember from the arcade.

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:

All those quotes are in there, and purposely camped up to maintain cheesiness. No NEW or CORRECTED lines are in the game, it's all the old stuff. Why they rerecorded them? I dont know. But it's just a new presentation of the old audio.

5. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was when my brother and I walked past our old go-to arcade back in the day. X-Men 6 player was still front and center, apparently on the loudest volume setting possible, and for some reason the left side speaker wasn't quite working correctly on the attract mode.

(Anyone who's ever sat and watched the opening will tell you that one of the weirdest things about the game is the creepy "molester uncle"/stalker smile Magneto's head flashes the players on that gigantic dual screen while muttering "....X-MEN." in a breathy staccato.)

Anyway, we were walking down to the food court, still well within earshot of the loudest machines in the place, when all of a sudden we hear "..........MEN." from Magneto blasting across the rest of the mall, made louder by the echoes of the open area of an abandoned section in front of the arcade.

To a couple of kids, this was the funniest damn thing EVER. Having the entire food court burst into laughter made it into comedy gold that I'll never forget. :lol 

Special mention goes to a friend of mine in college: We'd leave each other messages on our answering machines consisting of nothing but Colossus' "ROOAAARRGH!!" transformation scream.

So yeah, the classic voices do carry some weight with me.

No worries. My guess is they had to re-record due to bad coding or something. Still, I'm glad to hear they kept the camp/cheese. :D 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehehe, you don't always know when McTwister is being sarcastic, lol

7. McBradders

Doesn't need it unless they are tarting it ALL up. Dumb decision is dumb.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See there? I actually thought you were being sarcastic. You facey emotey thingies are so damn misleading. :( 

9. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Eh, you think it's dumb. I'm cool with it entirely. Added bonus for giving my friend work.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome to the world of licensing. If you can't track down the original voices, audio studio and/or they said "no", then what choice is there? Don't release the game, remove the voices all together, or get a sound-a-likes. Hello molehills, meet mountains. :D 

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wreckgar's people danced to that saying. :D 

12. McBradders

Or release it as is as per Turtles Arcade, Final Fight, and virtually every other emulated junk thrown up for money?

13. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A license for one thing doesn't necessarily work for another. If the audio was licensed separately at the time the game was made, or the voice work had a license that only permitted publishing during specific time periods, then they need to re-acquire that as well as the Marvel rights, etc.

Licensing of photos, videos and music is something I deal with on a daily basis. What licenses I work out with one company isn't the same license I'm going to be able to get from another one. It depends on a crap ton of factors and sometimes you have to make compromises. It not only depends on the licenses as they stand now, but the agreements that were signed at the time of original games publication.

14. McBradders

I sincerely doubt the audio for the game is a seperate license to any other content that's part of the game. Is it even the same voice actors from the OVA?

15. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't know what's so hard to believe. Happens all the time. All that matters is the licensing agreement that was signed at the time. If the voice studio they used only licensed the voice work for a certain amount of time (perhaps the same length as Konami's Marvel license), then when that license lapses, it has to be renegotiated if they want to use it again. If said voice studio is no longer around, or those rights are tangled up elsewhere, then re-recording them was the best option.

Separate audio licenses happen in every other form of media. As an example, look at Sony's 20th Anniversary Edition of TF: TM. Takara wanted separate licensing fees for both the audio and the video. They couldn't afford the fee for the audio (only had so much in their budget for the DVD), so they licensed the video and had Bacala and Alvarez do commentary instead.

16. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

You know, that possibility completely slipped my mind until you said something about it. In this instance, the original VA's for the animated one shot the game was based on were never used, so I figured it was like some of the other licensed dreck that was pouring out of every company back then. Use random people found 'round the office, rinse, repeat, cash money millionaires. If that is indeed the case, then it seems like they're just trying to cover all the bases here legally.

That said, I doubt anyone would come forward and claim they're owed money for their voice used in oh say... Captain America & The Avengers arcade game. "I CAN'T MOVE." :lol 

McBradders: Just search "Pryde of the X-Men" on youtube and compare. Sure doesn't sound like the same voice actors to me. Enjoy Wolverine with a crappy version of an Aussie accent.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    So wait, Pyro won't sound like a chick anymore?

18. McBradders

Dude, when you make a game unless you're using pre-existing samples you bring in actors and pay them to do a job because it's the absolute cheapest way to get it done and then you own the assets for use. The only time this kind of thing ever happens in games is when licensed music is used (hello Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN version).

The only logical reason that the voice assets are tied up in legal wranglings is if the original cast did it with the animation studio as some kind of weird cross pollination nonsense or that Backbone or Konami have decided the assets are simply too poor to use in a re-release. The latter being a shitty thing to do as well as the most likely, especially given it being Backbone.

The only complicated licensing issue with Marvel is the way they previously had licensed out exclusive game genre licenses to different publishers (Marvel licensed out Marvel fighting games to Capcom, then EA). Again, that should have no impact at all on voice work on a retro title that Marvel have given the go-ahead for anyway.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You have your theory, I have mine. I'm just going to leave it at that.

20. McBradders

Unacceptable :mad