"X-Men 3: The Last Stand" - What Could Have Been

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In 2004, before Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris left for Warner's "Superman Returns", they planned their version of "X-Men 3", which would feature the X-Men still mourning the loss of Jean Grey. Blaming himself for her death, Cyclops builds the Danger Room so the team can improve their teamwork and be more prepared for dire situations such as those they encountered at Alkali Lake.

Meanwhile, a mysterious new mutant starts attacking cargo ships containing mutant slaves set to be sent to a island called Genosha and destroying makeshift mutant concentration camps. Both Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto eventually discover that this is Jean, reborn as the Phoenix. Without the psychic blocks Xavier installed in her to keep her sanity, she is completely taken over by her evil split personality and sets to resolve the human/mutant dilemma without being tampered by the "drama" of the X-Men.

Wanting to use the Phoenix as a weapon to destroy the Humans, Magneto and his Brotherhood of Mutants, formed by Mystique and Pyro, enlists Xavier's former lover, Emma Frost, a powerful empath capable of controlling other peoples' emotions, to tame the Phoenix and force her to join them. Also joining the Brotherhood is the Juggernaut, a unstoppable mutant. Meanwhile, the X-Men enlist Cajun thief Gambit to their ranks, where he becomes a third party of a romantic triangle that also involves Rogue and Iceman.

Singer wanted Sigourney Weaver as Emma Frost and Channing Tatum as Gambit. Besides, one of their early ideas was to include the Sentinels as the government's response to the Phoenix's attacks. This version of the X-Men would be formed by Professor X, Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman, Gambit, Colossus and Kitty Pryde. Dr. Bolivar Trask, the Sentinels' creator, would also appear.

In the ending, after a huge battle between the X-Men, the Brotherhood and Sentinels in the yards of the White House, where Magneto attempts to murder the President of the United States of America, Jean is able to momentarily regain control of her body and urge Cyclops to destroy it with his optic blasts. He does and Jean's soul is reborn as a cosmic entity that leaves to create life elsewhere in the Universe after promising to return from times to times to check on the X-Men.

Singer's version was to focus the movie on Cyclops and Wolverine equally, as they both loved Jean. There was also to be a romance between Storm and Nightcrawler and Kitty and Colossus. Iceman and Pyro's rivalry would be played out, as would Rogue's increase in confidence due to her relationship with Gambit and the rivalry that forms between the resident powerhouses Colossus and Juggernaut.

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    What kills me, is that at the time when I was waiting for the third, I was hoping for something very similar to this to be played out.

DAMMIT! :mad 

3. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

interesting, Vaguely similar to what happened in the third (mainly with the Phoenix), may have been handled better since singer is a better director then Ratner. but where did you find this information.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Yes...

[​IMG]

What could have been. :( 

Anyway, Channing Tatum as Gambit? Fucking LOL. It would have sucked either way apparently.

5. RebelMan

News Credits:
    another forum i frequent regularly. sometimes there's threads of how certain movies could have been if the original directors/screenwriters had stayed with certain films. this is like the fourth or fifth time someone has posted this info about how X3TLS could have turned out if FOX would have waited for Singer & his Co. to return from doing Superman Returns to finish out Singer's Version of the Original X-Men Franchise rather than letting Ratner destroy the franchise.

6. RebelMan

News Credits:
    it's going to be a while before FOX let's go of X-Men, Fantastic 4, Daredevil & Sony let's go of Spider-Man & Ghost Rider.

7. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Actually, Daredevil is scheduled to go back to Marvel next year.
    And I have much more faith in Sony than I do in Fox.

8. RebelMan

News Credits:
    that's good, but i thought the Reboot was still in-production at FOX?

9. Hiraga

News Credits:
    You mean the reboot that was only mentioned once or twice a few years ago, that we haven't heard of since?

10. RebelMan

News Credits:
    last major news i heard was in February of last year of FOX hiring screenwriter David Scarpa (The Last Castle, The Day the Earth Stood Still) to work on a new script.

11. Hiraga

News Credits:
    Either way, it's a little too late for them to make it now. A scriptwriter announced last year doesn't really hold up unless we've gotten any real updates since then.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Sigh.

Channing? Ew, GTFO.

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I blame Singer for leaving out the trilogy for a box office bomb.

Although, the only thing I don't like is the excess amount of relationships in this script. Also, I thought Josh Holloway was Singer's original choice for Gambit.

But, at least, we got a Return of Jedi instead of a Blade: Trinity from the film series.

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

The plot sounds much better, but Weaver as Frost doesn't sound like a good fit, and Tatum as..well, anything..is a terrible idea.

15. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

To be honest, this does sound better than what actually was. The third one seemed to suffer from bad storytelling at parts, with too many characters just thrown in to say "Hey! I'm in the movie!"

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but I can never take Daredevil seriously in a comic book. He's worse in a cinematic format.

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Sigorney Weaver??? No, thanks.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't see how this would instantly be better or less complicated than the movie we got.

Also, the guy playing Nightcrawler didn't want to return because spending 8 hours in make up everyday was driving him nuts...so let's take that character off the list of reasons why this movie would potentially be cooler than X3.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was interested until I got to 'Channing Tatum'.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Sounds just as awful as what we got... too much, too much.