X-Box Almost Dreamcast Compatible

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jan 14, 2010.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

DC hardware stopped production...MS struggling in Japan.

I wonder how much this would of helped both sides.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Reading this makes me sad. I know it will never happen but I wish SEGA would come out of no where with a new system.

Chuck

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    THIS!

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a lot.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I could have seen benefits for Microsoft if the old dude was willing to either sell them the company or indefinite platform exclusivity for thier games in return, but its sounds like a pretty shit deal if a short term sales boost from the refugees was all he was offering in return for the cost of implementing the back compatability.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a consumer my opinion of the Original Xbox and MS would have been very different in knowing Sega's association with them, regardless of whether I knew about the deal or not. Even if Sega games were not at their peak during that time period, knowing that Shining Force or PSO would have been exclusive to Xbox, and possibly 360 now would have had a huge affect on my purchase decisions, as I follow Sega games (the good ones anyway) closely.

7. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Microsoft are fools for not taking this deal, on the basis that it really would have helped them get a foothold in Japan (which they still don't have). From a Japanese perspective it would have been this American company getting a piggyback ride on the back of Sega, even though Dreamcast was the one that was failing. The lack of vision on the behalf of Microsoft has to be kicking them in the ass, because in all honestly Microsoft can never be a number 1 console without the support of Asia.

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It always amuses me to see how some people think they know more about business corporation than Microsoft itself.

It still would've been the death of the dramcast, but seeing Sonic as an xbox exclusive would've been interesting.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this is what a lot of folks in Japan would have thought, thus Omega's statement, while harsh, isn't too far from true.

10. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well two things, first off we know more now about X-Box's standing in the marketplace in Japan and other Asian countries now more than they did back when they made these decision. Second, if Sega became more of a partner Microsoft would have more of a presence in Japan due to having key Sega titles that appeal to the Asian audience. They would of also potentially gotten more developers this way, with the increased install base. Either way, it would still be better than their current status where most Japanese stores refused to buy back 360 units due to poor sales.

Edit:
    Microsoft X-Box lifetime sales in Japan 477,809
    Microsoft X-Box 360 sales to date in Japan 1,231,479

So, for one reason another A) More devs, B) More key titles, C) Building on the pre-existing base, 360 has done better. However, 1.2 million units in a region that has 127.5 million people living there isn't good at all.