X-box 360 info needed.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by adamthered, Nov 4, 2006.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Hey cats & kittens!

I am thinking about getting an X-box 360 this weekend. I've never owned an X-box before so I was wondering if some of you can give me some hints on owning one? I plan on picking up Dead Rising to start with so I don't need any game suggestions or anything like that at this time.

I'm more interested in the internet connectivity. I have a router and I see Best Buy carries a 50' ethernet wire for $20. I'm much more interested in buying that than spending $100 on the X-box Wi-fi device and another $50-100 on a wireless router (probably need one for my Wii eventually though :(  )

So, is connecting to the internet going to be an issue? Is it a pretty easy set up? I've never played a counsel online before so I want to make sure I'm not going to cause my house to explode in my ineptitude.

Any hints or info that can be provided would be great and appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

2. miraisoup

miraisoup Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems with connectivity, I use a D-Link router with 2 computers and the 360 hooked to it, connects fine all the time. I just plugged it in and it worked from the the start.

It's best to keep the power supply for the 360 well ventelated and the 360 itself, it heats up pretty good.

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Pretty basic plug and play. The 360 will do most of the work only needing your WEP key if you have one (I'm not sure a wired only router will even have that function).

To be able to play online you'll need a gold account which you can get in different forms.

1 month = $10, 3 months = $20, 1 year = $40-$60.

If you shop around you can find the subs at lowered prices.
    For the best value you can usually find the Xbox Live Vision gold kit for $70 (my Walmart has it at $70 most places at $80 and a few places online have it at $60)
    The Gold kit inludes:
    Xbox Live Vision Camera (a poker game and Rainbow 6 Vegas use it for face mapping, Uno and the Hardwood games put a video feed in game)
    1 year sub to Xbox Live gold
    Live arcade game Uno
    Live arcade game Robotron 2084
    200 Microsoft points - for purchasing gamer pictures, themes (think desktop wallpapers), and Xbox Live arcade games.
    A communicator headset (exactly like what comes with the $400 system)

You don't need a gold sub though. The only thing it does right now over silver is allow you to play games online (except ones that require an additional fee like Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Universe which can be played with Silver), and get some downloads earlier (so far just a Gears of War commercial and a R6 demo (which you can get off the OXM disc). You can still message, voice and video chat, as well as download demos, videos and arcade games just as you could with a gold account.

Edit: I just found this at Cheap Ass gamers -
    [​IMG]

Pretty good deal if you have a Meijer around. It ends today Nov 4th, but you could get a 360 a free game and Dead Rising for $35 (with that $25 off a game coupon).

Also I'd get the play and charge kit. It'll save you a ton on replacing batteries and last longer than the rechargeable ones I was using.

4. adamthered

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips so far. Awesome stuff to know, a little overwhelming too.

Do you need to have a sub to just play games? Maybe I'm better off not worrying about the internet part of it if I'm just going to be playing stuff like Dead Rising or KOTOR. Not much into FPSs, Madden, racing or any other competitive type games, or into MMORPGs (except CoX!) so getting online might not even be an issue.

Would you suggest maybe just getting the $300 version, the HD cables, Dead Rising, and just pass on all the other stuff? Is having the harddrive necessary or will a memory card suffice for what I want to use it for? And there's always that wireless controller. Trying to sneak this onto the big screen downstairs and one selling point to my wife is the wireless controller :D 

I may just be getting in over my head here.

5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Never, ever get the $300 version. Buying the HD cables and memory unit will already take a big chunk out of the $100 you'll be saving. If you want any backward compatibility, you need the hard drive. If you want to download demos and stuff, you need the hard drive. You can still download things fine if you don't get the gold membership on Live. And you'll get a free month trial of Gold anyway, so if you find you never use it to play against anyone, then by all means, just stick with silver when your month runs out.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Seconded, the full pack is cheaper then buying the rest seperate when you realise you want it and your not getting the most out of the system without the HD.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

What they said.

It can be overwhelming but once you get it and tinker around its all pretty easy.

I'd still connect your 360 online even if you don't plan on playing multiplayer online. Its needed to get the required emulation files for Xbox 1 games. If you don't plan on playing games much online then don't even worry about a gold account. MS gives out free trails occasionally so theres always a chance to check the gold service out.

The 360 is pretty much crippled not being connected online and without a HD.

In easier terms - You'll automatically create a Silver account when you turn your Xbox 360 on. Its basically just a profile to track stats and such . Gold is just the upgrade to play games online and so far that alone.

8. adamthered

News Credits:
    Okay, I'll go with the HDD version (which I was leaning more toward anyway), Dead Rising, and the 50' ethernet cable.

Sounds like I'll be fine with the silver sub and if I want to go gold I can always add that at a later date.

Thanks for all the info. It's appreciated :) 

9. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

It's Big and White and actually got a lower Drop Test score than Fort Max...

10. adamthered

News Credits:
    I was asking for info I already didn't know about ;) 

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    As has been said if you don’t care to play on-line then just stick with the free silver account. That way you can still enjoy the Live Market Place and Arcade.

Market Place is really cool in that you can down load game videos and demo’s free as well as movie pre-views, music videos, and exclusive Red Vs. Blue episodes along with all sorts of other groove stuff.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Do they actually update the movie trailers over there? The ones on Marketplace here are about 3 to 6 months behind whats actually in cinemas.

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Right now they have 15 trailers up.
    Beerfest
    Borat Crank
    Apocalypto
    Nacho Libre
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Step Up
    The Departed
    The Descent
    The Fountain
    The Simpsons Movie
    The Whicker Man
    TMNT
    Ultimate Avengers
    And a listing called Digital Entertainment that has a bunch of old stuff in it. So it’s a mix of new current and old stuff, but a small mix.

*edit* also in the TV section they have a 45 minute recap of the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica among a hand full of other things.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with almost all of the previous information. However, I'd go with the Gold Live account. Xbox Live is a major part of the Xbox experience.

15. adamthered

News Credits:
    Okay, picked it up. My wife and I went a little crazy lol. Grabbed the following

X-box 360
    extra wireless controller
    battery charger w/2 battery packs
    Dead Rising
    Kameo
    DOA 4
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance

I am now pretty much teaching my wife how to play video games that aren't on the GBA or DS. She only been gaming for a year and it's all been on handhelds. She is having fun though, especially with Ultimate Alliance, because she can stand back and watch what I do and then repeat.

Thanks again for all the great advice!