Minor/Repaint: WWII Era Dynobots figure 1: Swoop

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Nov 24, 2011.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

MASSIVE UPDATE ON PAGE 4 1/2/12

Got all five of them in the works, all the others being different tanks of course. Based off of the art and style in the G.I. Joe/Transformers comic book crossover by Jae lee (Dreamwave) many years ago, as I really loved that dark take on these characters done there (laserbeak was a fav). Got some USAF and STAR decals coming for him as well. Don't really know if you could classify these guys as WW II era or not, because I'm not sure these type of tanks/plane really exist or not. From what I can find, they all seem to be composite makes of several tank/plane designs.

The others will be rolling out all through the holidays. Enjoy!

"Me Swoop, Keeeeellllllll you"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    I like the idea but Swoops robot mode really needs some of his signature colors. Even if it's only minor hints of blue (or red) and gold/yellow. As is it's a little bland. Very clean work though!

• Like Like x 1
  3. wheeljack2010

I had an idea to use a deep regal blue on his chest where the autobot symbol is, and a polished gold color for the trim of the cockpit/windows. I could even give his "mohawk" piece on the top of his head a deep red color to further get those cartoon colors incorporated.

Let me know what you guys think on those paint additions, should I, or shouldn't I?

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Looking pretty good, needs some more gold though.

And where did you get those pin-up girls? I want one (or several) for my Highbrow.

5. Armentitron

Armentitron Well-Known Member

Swoop's a naughty bot!

6. dak

dak I am DAK! The customizer!

News Credits:
    love it.

7. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

love it, but yeah it could use some more of his G1 colors.

8. wheeljack2010

paint additions

OK, so added some more G1 goodness, and I must say that I do like it!
    Hope you folks do as well. Let me know what you think!
    On a side note - This head has really nice light piping, very LED Style

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Not to be mean but I see Swoop as being very skinny and lenghty, BUT keep up the goood WORK:thumb 

10. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like it!

11. wheeljack2010

Thanks, and done! Those are custom made decals from a friend:) 
    Thanks Dak! Love your work too bro'!
    Cool man, and I'm still debating about some deep dark blue around the neck area.......
    RTS Lugnut=skinny and lengthy right? Perfect match! So, thanks! I think.....

12. hater06

hater06 Well-Known Member

dig it! alt modes?!?!

13. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :drool:  I'd buy that in a micro-second! Who knew a Dinobot could be awsome as a WWII era plane!? Very good work!

14. WheeljackRules

WheeljackRules Well-Known Member

I dig the hell out of this. I got Lugnut cause I love his Alt mode but don't care too much for the character. I'd love to do something like this to mine.

15. wheeljack2010

Thanks! and slowly but surely!
    I got the idea from looking in the old crossover comic books and seeing Starscream. He was a old beat-up looking bi-plane. Then seeing Grimlock as a huge ass tank gave the idea to build him using a Leader TFTM Brawl (currently a WIP!) and then started thinking of all the other plane/tank
    TF's out there and the idea has been slowly becoming a reality for the past few months.:) 
    I had the same feeling. So when the idea came, I jumped at the oppurtunity to transform him into something I actually really like. It also helps that these guys can be found by the handful at my local T.J. Maxx for $10 a piece:) 

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Looks better now with those extra bits of colour... but I think he needs a different (smalller) head. This one sits on the body in a really discordant way. I know it's silly to talk about proportions with such a monstrous body as Lugnut's but I think that there is something off about the body proportions. To give him a proper "hulking" physique to fit the alt-mode, I think he needs more of a deluxe sized head (even for Voyagers, Grapple has a pretty big head).

Other than that quibble, I love this idea. I want to see ALL the Dinos as WWII vehicles now!

(to that effect, I guess Highbrow could also have passed for Swoop... but I don't know where to go for the other Dinobots... I guess we need more retro military hardware! )

zmog

17. wheeljack2010

Cool man, thanks. Yeah, I had originally 2 other heads I toyed around with. One being a Gen. Red Alert with the horns trimmed off, and the other a custom made head with a Gen. Red Alert head w/ face removed and a HFTD Tomahawk face to replace it. The trimmed RA head looked really small and reminded me of the guy from Beetlejuice so I nixed that idea. The custom made head looked too cybertronian so I decided to use that on my Rotorstorm custom (another WIP at the moment).

On a seperate note, I got some tiny Ace of Spades decals coming for his the sides of his head (like a pilots helmet, ya know). With this head it really looks like he's wearing a pilots helmet. LoL:) 

And stay tuned for those other tank D-bots!

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like this, and I also really like how others have interacted with this piece with you responding with your progress. I encourage you to keep pushing this, as you're getting there with things, but I don't think you're quite there yet with it being "SWOOP". I think modding that head with a fin on top would really help (even though the translucent red showing with the flip out portion is a clever way to emulate that).

Again, this is some good work, and the concept is very cool. Keep up the good work :thumb 

19. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    That looks great! Love the added paint aps...

One thing, I don't think there was much jet tech during WWII...might wanna call it veitnam swoop :) 

20. wheeljack2010

Thanks SQ7! Appreciate all the feedback from this community here, bunch a great chaps! As for the head, the flap is as close to a head fin as I'm gonna get unfortunately. If I added a fin to it, I'd have to pop the head off every time I transformed it. I may make a alternate head for him though.......:inquisiti 
    Oh Slag! Yeah, that's prolly why Starscream was a Bi-plane in the comic (you can tell I'm not a history buff, right?)
    'Nam bots they are! Thanks man, cheers!