WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gears, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone played the demo? I've been playing it on PS3 and I think it's awesome. I was playing as Jeff Hardy and doing all his moves. I even ripped off the table-top at the announcer table, pulled out the monitors, and did a flying elbow drop onto HBK through the table. I think I'll need to buy this game. Also I've been checking out the storyline mode on youtube, and it looks pretty sweet.

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

yeah like you i fell in love with the PS3 demo, still trying to figure out the moves but i have been destroying HHH and the hardy's with HBK. I agree that i might have to get this, so i'll add it to the list of the 10 PS3 games i need to buy

3. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Its was an easy return for me. Basically its SvR 08 with a little new paint on it. The Road To Wrestlemania mode is only playable with 7 characters. outside of that there is no story mode to speak of with anyone. In "Carrer" mode you basically build a CAW and win all the championships... pretty shallow. As Jacked as 09 was, Id rather save my money for something like NFS:UC

4. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

But '09 does have something no other SD game has had: Co-Op Tag Team Story Mode :D 

Oh yeah, and Create-A-Finisher too :D 

5. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

This.

I've basically given up on the wrestling genre unless Wrestlemania Legends turns out different, simply because I got tired of shelling out the money for basically the same game with a few different guys and a new move or two. I was so jacked for SVR08, and when I finally got it last year, I played it for 3 days and got bored with it because I felt like I was still playing SVR07. I've stuck it in my console once since, to show my brother the game.

6. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Wrestlemania Legends is not looking too good either. McMahon's personal grudges are seeming to get in the way of development... After signing Randy Savage, who had probably the best WRESTLING match of all time at Wrestlemania 3 against Rickey Steamboat (If you havent seen it you SHOULD), THQ/Jakks had to remove him because of Vince's personal issues with him... Mick Foley let his contract expire and goes to TNA, and just like that He's out of WML too, even though he was signed to appear in the game. I'm almost afraid to see who makes it in, seeing as McMahon has personal issues with The Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart, Savage, Foley, Jake Roberts, Kurt Angle, Nash and Hall amongst others.

Are we really talking a 'Legends' game, or a game that features Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Shawn Micheals, HHH, Cena, and Koko B. Ware? As a HUGE wrestling fan from back in the early 80's I have a dream list of Superstars I'd love to see in this game, but chances are it wont be any better or different than SvR... which sux

7. puffmarko

puffmarko psychological terrorist

Ebay:
    this is an awesome game. the best wrestling game so far. tna impact is horrible compared to SvR09.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I have pretty much given up on wrestling games too. The best one was Here Comes the Pain and after that it's all the same with few cosmetic changes. I'd like to see engine overhauled and make the control very different depending on the style of the wrestler. The counter system needs to be more intuitive and easier to pull off than vainly jamming on the button every time you see a icon flashing on the screen. Also the storyline is always one dimensional and gets stale after the first walkthrough or two. CAW should incorporate all the attires of the old school wrestlers that you can't play in the game. Finally I'd like to see downloadable entrance music and videos to make those Legends come to life. Just my $0.02.

9. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I went and bought it today. Time to start on the RTWM's. Will begin with my man-crush Jericho.

10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'm always a year behind because I refuse to pay $60 for these games. Hopefully by this time next year that sweet PS3 CE will still be around.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In my opinion, it's worth upgrading for the greatly reduced load time alone. No longer do you have to wait 30 - 50 seconds for a match to begin. They fixed the biggest knock against the franchise there.

Plus I only buy the odd numbered years anyway, that way it feels like a bigger upgrade over my previous purchase.

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Despite having tag team co op mode and create a finisher. Is creating a wrestler got a tune up or got lost when the developers make this game? So that I can create some new guys.

13. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I bought SvR 07 for PSP for $5 awhile back and enjoyed it as I hadn't played a new wrestling game in YEARS (played them religiously on the N64, bought the first two WWE games for Cube, and that was it) and really enjoyed it. Then I played the PS3 demo and was in awe of the graphics and whathaveyou. Now it's at the top of my birthday/christmas wishlist as I can't wait to create some awesome finishers and play an inferno match.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'm waiting for a game with the Ultimate Warrior in it :( 

15. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Undertaker's storyline mode is hilarious.
    He feuds with Santino and Finley for most of it, Finley possesses Kane with an urn and Undertaker has to tombstone him twice to break the spell. Later Undertaker turns Santino into a zombie to fight Finley. Also before the main WM match Undertaker has a ritual where he energizes himself with lightning. Then he fights the Boogeyman in a hell in a cell match and afterwards puts him in a coffin and zaps it straight to hell. Also Undertaker only says three words throughout his whole story. (Rest in peace).

Jericho's story is pretty cool in that it
    plays out like a mystery as you question lots of people to find out who the masked assailant is.

All of the stories feature surprisingly good voice-acting from all the wrestlers and great commentary from the announcers.

I haven't really played with the create-a-wrestler part yet. But I wanna try to make guys like Kurt Angle and Sting.

You can create him in this game.

Edit: Wow:

http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=deeuucce&view=videos

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  16. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

17. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

That Batman looks great. Can you create other superheros that look just as close to the real thing?

19. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Why are all of the CAW trunks a bit too skimpy?