Minor/Repaint: WW Prime Repaint *FINISHED*

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Boggs6ft7, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I use the term finish loosely, any time I paint, draw, build, etc... I'm never finished, I've just stopped working on it for a while.

Here is what he started out as. Note, this isn't my picture, like an idiot I forgot to take a picture of how he started out, but this one is same as everyone elses WW Prime out of the box.
    [​IMG]
    Here are pics of my repaint. I left all the red the same, but pretty much everything else got painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is actually my first completed repaint (I had started on an Alt Smokescreen w/G1 Colors a long time ago and never finished)

Overall I'm pleased with the way he turned out. As time goes by, I'll go back to him and probably make other changes.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Love the panel lines and shiny blue!

Good work.

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice job!

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Your PC tower is cool, too, but nowhere near as nice as your repaint of Ti Optimus Prime.

BTW Ti is the Periodic Table of Elements symbol for Titanium. It looks and sounds better then Tit.

5. Boggs6ft7

Thanks for the compliements.

Titanium is also really expensive, I should hope that no one who buys a Titanium figure thinks that its made from that. It would make them a lot lighter and almost as strong as steel.

Titanium was also something the former Soviet Union made a lot of.... in fact they had so much left over you can buy titanium crow bars, shovels, etc... from there. They also had so much of it that they made like five of their subs with complete titanium hulls. Its almost as strong as steel, but more importantly, its half the mass.

Sorry, I'm a Phyics teacher, I'm getting back in the mode.... school starts on Tuesday. <Sigh> Another summer over.

6. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    School? Man, I need to get back to college and earn my Bachelors.

I know some of the advantages of Titanium as I have a watch made from it. Lighter then stainless steel, and stronger.

7. Boggs6ft7

Pure titanium is actually weaker than stainless, not by much, but its half the weight. Now when you start making alloys from it, then it gets wicked strong which your watch might be, but can lose some of its inert properties.

One of my students has a family that races cars and he brought in two wheel hubs, one from steel and other from titanium. It feels weird picking up the titanium one after the steel.

8. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO the red is the one thing that did need to be painted, not the only thing left as-is.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks pretty damn good. You really brought out the detail and the shiny metallic paint looks great. Almost seems like the red should be paler now though to match.

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Actually, Boggs6ft7, your explanation of Titanium might explain why one band on a titanium watch I had snapped at one of the links when I got it caught on something. I ended up swapping bands, and messing with the original. It was a very "soft" metal and easily maleable, not like my current titaniuam banded watch which is tough-as-a-tank.

Anyhow, I do like your touches and repaint work on Ti Optimus Prime. Very nice work. Subtle, yet significant.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

what kind of paint works best on metal? seeing this makes me REALLY want to paint him when I get him.

12. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice work.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :thumb 

14. Boggs6ft7

I really struggled with that because I didn't want to go through the process of taking off the main wheels, optimus' head, and the light rack. I guess I'm just lazy and fearful of totally screwing up my toy (there is a reason I still have all my G1 toys in good condition from my childhood) I decided I liked the red the way it was and lived with it.

I don't know about best paint, just don't mix acrylics with enamels. Apparently they don't like each other, but I haven't had that much experience with that.

15. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Well I use citadel colours for my model's so if you ant a real good variety of color's citadel work's.

But nice job on the repaint... he is blingin wit those new color'ss.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Citadel (Games Workshop) acrylics are especially formulated to work on die-cast metal, since that's what a lot of Warhammer miniature are made of. I'm not sure how they differ from other acrylics.

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the additions you made!

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

That looks awesome. But I say you paint the blue parts on the shoulder red for comic accuracy. :thumb 

19. Boggs6ft7

I was going to, but I couldn't find a red that I really liked and decided to leave all the red parts original.

It was actually a lot of fun to paint, I can't wait for some of the other Titanium figures to come in and see if they can be changed around. Except for Megatron, there's no helping that pos toy.

20. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Well they use a heavier oil mixed to better apply to model's especially die-cast plastic's.....etc.

I do warhammer 40,000 myslef and I have never seen a set of pro acrylic's so cheap! A full color set of something like 200 is $190!

I say you should buy the fulll set but....that's just me so, if you want to buy individual paint it's only like $1.50 for a single color...and metallic is like $2.00

They have my thumb's up!