WTF @ TFW - Supplemental 31 - WTF @ GDC 2011

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - Supplemental 31 - WTF @ GDC 2011

[​IMG]

STEALTH FORCE ENGAGE

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_137.5_-_WTFatGDC2011_-_Mar_3_2011.mp3

2. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP3 should be live in about 10 minutes!

*edit*
    I have no idea why, but I'm getting constant upload errors on the mp3. Still trying. The m4a is superior anyway!

*edit edit*
    MP3 should now be live!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Engage.

4. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    HAH. I had a feeling this was what the podcast was about once I saw Seth's twitpic from GDC. Still have to listen to 137...

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was an embargo so we couldn't post anything until today.

6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    War for Infinite Cybertron Elsewhere. On that planet where everything crashes begins.

Bites that they don't want to acknowledge the war for cybertron influences. But maybe that's a cover for war for cybertron 2 in development.
    No team mates could translate to more memory for visuals. Also a lot of hardcore gamers who played war for cybertron single complained about how their AI team mates got stuck or had glitches.
    Hate flashing score numbers. That could indicate the trap the EA Revenge of the fallen game fell into. methodical ways to accumulate points to earn your fleeting platinum medals on each mssion.
    SUV Soundwave infiltrates without mercy. Confirmation on Movie Laserbeak. Its cool that you deploy it, more like soundwaves special ability. Like a camera missile or RC car explosive. But with more controll and firepower.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Hey vangelus, who are the best stealth force toys? STEALTH FORCE ENGAGE just sounds so damn awesome.

8. CarrierAnomaly

CarrierAnomaly Well-Known Member

Nice work Seth, thanks for the insight!
    It's funny that High Moon is kinda tight lipped about the similarities of WFC and DOTM in terms of gameplay.
    I remember that High Moon announced that they're working on WFC2, so there is a possibility that Matt Tiger is not involved in DOTM because he is helming that project.

9. 13DINO

13DINO JTX_XIII

News Credits:
    HAIL VANGELUS, he was the one who included STEALTH FORCE in the game by being a super fanboy about it! I love stealth force myself!
    What next? If we fanboy over another weird gimmick, it might be included in another TF Canon. XD

10. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    "STEALTH FORCE ENGAGE!" from the people who brought you "MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!" If those 2 phrases were in a toy, especially an Optimus Prime toy with Peter Cullen's voice, I'd buy that in a second.

11. Thunderboom

Thunderboom Scylla Fan

Ebay:
    I would just like to point out that at the very least since the "Transformers the Game" adaptation of 2007's movie, weapons and zooming ahead speedily in vehicle mode have been standard. True, there was no omni-directional hover-mode thing in either of the first two movie's console games (unless you were a flying 'bot), but it is not a new thing from "War for Cybertron".

WFC just improved it, as I can tell.

However, the annoyance of upgrading my cimputer every time I buy a video game has kept me from ever getting WFC. This will give me an excuse to buy DOTM and WFC at the same time, however (and upgrade my computer at the same time)! I look forward to the game's release.

"in-game currency to unlock things?" "odd" -Vangelus
    Did you play ROTF's console game? You get Energon from fallen enemies and for completing objectives, which is used to upgrade your team's stats.

"you can get to play as Laserbeak"
    I now love this game.

EDIT: In response to Megatron's vampiric ability...
    I thought Movie Megs' whole original concept was his spark-devouring vampirism?

12. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant full-on unlocks, not stat upgrades. :D  Just wasn't expecting to hear something like that, I'm more used to it being in either progressive multiplayer perks or the MK Krypt.

As for WFC's vehicle innovations, I would argue that their approach was the first one since the Armada game to 'get it right' in terms of both modes being useful, not a drag to use or play as, etc. I thought the ROTF game was alright but its use of altmodes was far more for the sake of a temporary boost to speed/jumping/melee and whatnot, rather than an entirely separate playstyle.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  13. Thunderboom

Thunderboom Scylla Fan

Ebay:
    Well, there's always ROTF's "Spend 1 million Enegron and unlock a G1 episode" but that's not quite the same, now is it?

On a semi-related note, something I meant to bring up before was about the lack of charactcer-choosing for levels. It'll probably mean an avoidance of ROTF's "play as Bumblebee and fight DEVASTATOR!" level, but it also means an end to the sweet taste of victory when you finally beat him as 'Bee, only to spin around, kill Devastator with Flight-Mode Jet Optimus Prime, and earn a Platinum Medal on one try. And then kill him over again a few times just for spite.

Oh, that's one other thing! Ultimate Optimus Prime...here's to hoping he's in the game as playable. And also hope that we don't get more "DLC" stuff for non-PC versions. (C'mon, people! PC is the EASIEST platform for DLC!!)

That PS2 Armada video game seems to still be a widely-regarded awesome feat of Transformers game, but alas I lack a PS2 to play it. I do agree about the "altmodes as speed" statement, though. In ROTF you could just, if you wanted, go through the whole game in a comparatively-sluggish robot mode and it wouldn't change anything.

Of course, 2007's game went about vehicle modes in the worst way imaginable. "Transformers the Checkpoint Racing Game" was rather unappealing.

If DOTM turns out like you're describing WFC as, and it appears that with Stealth Force they're going the extra mile, I'd love to see vehicle modes used as believable, fun gameplay mode interchangeable with robot mode for any given occasion. Heck, even vehicle-specific levels would be fine.

...unless it's more bloody racing.

14. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    STEALTH FORCE ENGAGE! funniest thing i've heard in a long time, almost made me crash my car I was laughing so hard.

When Vangelus was mangling Sean Millers (Sean Mulkalackalallally) name it sounded eerily close to me name. So it was like he was in my ears talking to me, so that was a little disturbing . . .

The Stratosphere dialogue is awesome, "Its just you and me Starscream and the whupping i'm about to give ya!"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  15. Merman Jones

Merman Jones Friend of the Tapirs

I always took the expression 'Stealth Force' to mean the fact that the vehicle modes are concealing (stealth) some serious weaponry (force) until the time is right to use it, rather than any implication that the battle mode is stealthy, but having characters declare it as they activate the battle mode blows my theories out of the water...

Definitely going to get the game, in spite of out-of-character vehicle mode hovering.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    my best friend has every issue of egm. between the two of us, one of us always had a subscription to it since probably 1991. a few years ago he went on ebay and got the rest of the issues he was missing. when egm2 came out, he was getting those for a while, too. like someone mentioned, it was mostly focused on strategy, and often had walkthroughs that were multi-page stitched-together screenshots.

17. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    You transform into Stealth Force?

Fail.

I would rather be in vehicle form and then press a button and initiate Stealth Force. I don't want to transform into a non-alt mode. WfC worked because they were actually vehicles that moved unrealistically.

18. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    STEALTH FORCE ENGAGE!!!!

It's like on an episode of The Last Airbender and Sokka screamed "SNEAK ATTACK!"

19. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

*G4TV Video*

Cripes, look at Adam Sessler...I use to watch him on Gamespot TV, back when it was ZD-TV and he had hair...Back when I had hair...I suddenly feel rather sad...

20. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Adam Sessler looks soooo old lol.