WTF @ TFW - Episode 5

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You guys have BURNED DOWN MY BACKYARD. :cry 

Here is my canned response, which took me so long to get around to typing out, I thought I may as well just post it here. XD

---

Why I like Rodimus Prime
    by Internet Personality Vangelus, Esq.

Hello, <Faithful Podcast Listener>! You have contacted me for this personalized reply to your inquiry on the topic I briefly scraped on in WTF @ TFW Episode 5, "The Rise of Flory Dery".

I like Rodimus Prime for not only having storyline potential, but actually pulling it off over the course of the third season. He actually manages to have a character arc in the continuity-slapping madhouse of the 80's cartoon. He's forced into maturity because of the Matrix, and rather interestingly doesn't immediately become Prime2.

Over the course of the third season he's got a really jaded cameraderie going on with his main buddies, and he actually starts coming to terms with having to give up being a fast red car.

Then in "Burden Hardest to Bear", the Matrix gets swiped from him, and he reverts back to Hot Rod. His reaction: Hell yes, let someone else take over, I never wanted this in the first place. But by the end of the episode, he not only takes back the Matrix himself, but he also accepts his role and steps up to make the sacrifice and be a leader. I really like how he received a full-circle character arc through all this.

Which was then completely retconned and nullified by "Return of Optimus Prime". A miniseries I liked when I was young but grew to really dislike when I watched all of Season 3 on DVD, as it totally wiped out the consequences, resolutions, and purposes of two of the best episodes of the entire series, "Burden Hardest to Bear" and "Dark Awakening".

Anyway, that's quite possibly the only heavy opinion I have on the original cartoon, outside of my manic love for Season3 Galvatron. :D 

I hope you have enjoyed this response, <Faithful Podcast Listener>, and stay tuned in! There may be more British Drew Eiden!

-Vangelus Sr.

2. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Well that was a well thought out and acceptable explanation. I'm from the school of thought that Optimus should have blasted a hole through cool kid prime to take out Megatron, and that said hostage was basically a guy that made a mess of things and then bemoaned having to clean it up for the duration of his sorry, sorted career as Autobot leader; but hey that's just the way I see it.

Also glad to hear there may be more British Drew Eiden. Ello!

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    OMG I GOT A PM FROM THE ONE TRUE FAN!!! AND HE EVEN CALLS ME BY NAME:

*Swoon*

This is so awesome. It's almost as good as the time I got a reach around from Super_Megs.

Seriously though, I agree with you on Rodimus. While I thought it was great that they brought back Prime, I also thought it served to negate all the character development they did with Rodimus, especially in Season 4 when he was basically a rank-n-file Autobot again. One would think he would at least be second in command.

4. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:

I've clearly listened to one too many podcasts and video reviews. I could *hear* you reading that. LOL! too good. I applaud you, sir.

*golf clap*

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally I'd like to hear less of it. Sounds too much like a whine. Cheese is better anyway. :D 

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there anyway to put faces with the names, right now the only thing I visualize is Transformers figures sitting around a table drinking coffee and eating donuts. Not that , that is a bad visual..........you know what n/m Vangelus as a very expressive Optimus (Now Rodimus after the why rod over prime story)works just fine for me.:lolol , Buzzbeak is Soundwave don't ask why just is. yyyeeahh way too much time on me hands.......