WTF @ TFW - 78 - January 14 2010

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Not yet. She's on the slow boat from China apparently.

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Sometimes I wonder about your sanity Vang, :wink:  if you hadn't prefaced the whole STD thing with that being in a play background...if you wish to date a girl with a name sounding like an STD, but really isn't, might I suggest a Clytemnesta or Goneril (who I did play once), one really is a Greek goddess and the other is from Shakespeare.

Oh, lonely Thundercracker fan I am. :banghead:  Why must he always be last to repaint, why!

I agree with Omegus that while I don't squee for Cullen anymore, I am very comforted by it. It feels right. It makes me smile. And as expected as it is these days, I would throw a fit if they chose anyone else. As for Megatron, I found it hilarious that he can be anything these days, funniest part of the podcast. While, I am mostly over Welker these days, this new Megs sounds odd against Cullen. I really would have loved to hear Corey Burton's Megs, I think he my favorite these days, just the right blend of regal and scratchy.

I completely agree about keeping the listener questions to TF topics. I was tempted to skip ahead but I knew all that was left was the ending so I listened. I did apreciate Vang's atempts to explain what these toys were and involve the hosts that don't collect Kamen Rider though. What We Got This Week serves a completely different purpose though and should stay as it is, not everyone can aford TFs every week and I enjoy hearing the guys' stories about other things in their life and toys they collect, it's entertaining and not intrusive and everyone gets their say, unlike the Kamen Rider question which felt unfair to the non collectors. I completely agree with Vang's reasoning he posted earlier in the thread. Two words to describe those KR figs, um, how about "Don't care!";-)

3. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

I understand all this.

I too have interests that are outside of TFs. I'm just saying that having to sit and listen to a list of japanese names, which after about the third all start to sound the same, is not exactly a scintillating listening experience.
    I can understand if it's a character's proper name which has no translation, but if it's a matter of simple animal names, as in this instance, like someone on the actual podcast said, just call them by their english animal names. Especially if there are 11 of them!

Indeed, let's not be silly.

To use your "store" metaphore, it's more akin to a store's "No shirt, No shoes, etc." sign. If you expect your customers to be wearing shirts and shoes, then the manager and all the employees should be too.

How would I know if a part is "boring" (your word not mine) if I don't listen to it? And I never said that the entire segment was "boring". So if I did indeed simply skip over it as you're suggesting, I could miss something I might actually be interested in.

I'm very surprised by the defensivness of some of your responses. I'm simply giving you guys some constructive criticism. If you'd rather that people only post here to kiss your ass and tell you how super the show is, then maybe you should state that up front.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The shirt and shoes rule is a federal law, not store preference, but whatever.

And where are people getting defensive? You gave us "constructive" criticism, we explained our reasons for why we disagree, and now you are apparently angry and making fairly immature comments about ass kissing? Really, it was pretty level headed until your last post. I'm sorry you are so angry over all this.

We don't claim to be perfect, and it's impossible to provide everyone with exactly what they want to hear in a show. We do our best to serve the majority. We listen to plenty of feedback and constructive criticism, and it has influenced the show greatly over the past year and a half that we have been going. Most of the feedback we get shows that people don't mind hearing what we like besides Transformers. But we have decided that we are going to leave it to mostly that section. We go off topic enough as it is, but there has to be some moderation, and that's the (totally arbitrary) limit that we have set for ourselves.

tl;dr It's the g funk era funked out with a gangsta twist

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Don't worry you're not alone.

6. GogDog

News Credits:
    I thought a Thundercracker color would have been more natural than Skywarp, until I read somewhere that purple is this car's flagship color.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont know why but the recording issues are really channelling some max headroom vibes

8. Crabeg

Crabeg Well-Known Member

i haven't read this whole thread and i'm not going to either,i've just read the last few replies and i just wanted to say that i found this weeks episode of the podcast not quite up to the usual standard(i'm not going to say anything nasty about it coz mostly i really enjoy the show and i don't want to annoy anyone)but it is a transformers podcast after all and i subscribed to hear about such,so when the question is what you got this week,surely you should tell us about the transformers that you bought this week and not reel off a load of japanese names that i have no idea of(what was all that about fish and bears and cows and what-not?)and what was that listener question about?,i mean,come on,it wasn't that long ago that vangelus was telling us there were loads of questions that had been sent in,surely there was a better one,i understand if things are quiet on the transformers front and theres not a lot of news to talk about,but surely you can do more,i really don't mean to b*@ch,but i usually enjoy the show as i have already said,and today i just thought i would say something.I know we all have other interests but how about sticking to transformers as we are all interested in them?Anyway thanks a lot guys for the usually great podcast,and i hope things pick up soon

9. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

Yes! I agree! This is correct!

Really, though, I feel having Cullen as Prime is more of a victorious feeling than a satisfied, excited or comforted one. Because SO many things get SO messed up by Hollywood and by designers that it's unreasonable these days. Hearing Cullen as Prime is more of an "Alright! They got one right!" than anything else for me personally. As far as Megatron goes, I prefer Welker, but if he can't/they won't then get Corey Burton. I feel his performance is just as much Megatron as Welker or Kaye. Unfortunately I feel the Chalk/Kaye as Prime/Megatron combo is well and truly worn out. So let's give some other people a go. I'd love to hear Corey Burton as Megatron again, I found his version to be the best since G1.

I see both sides of this argument. I personally was a little put off by the whole off topic bits, but I was in a foul mood anyway. It did seem a little long and drawn out, but I WILL NOT COMPLAIN in the LEAST. I know from past experiences that a lot of times the off topic discussion that gets recorded is sometimes as good as if not better than the on topic discussions in the show. I had the exact same view as Fairlady Z when it came to the listener question as well, because it was the end of the show and, without having listened to it or spoken to anyone prior to listening, how could I be sure there was not going to be some awesome reference or kickass joke made during that off topic discussion? I didn't. I had to be sure cause I didn't wanna miss out on it if there was. So all in all, weather its on or off topic the show is worth the listen even if it's not always in line with my tastes.

I just wanna say as well, Fairlady Z and Gogdog are right! Listen to them! They know!

10. GogDog

News Credits:
    No, if you don't like something, feel free to complain about it, otherwise we would never know. But there is a difference in voicing a complaint and saying our rules are fair because they don't equally apply to host and listener (which makes no sense unless the listener is on the show).

Personally I like the WWG segment, but it's not like I haven't had my own issues sometimes, with length, etc.

11. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Turtles and Monkeys.
    [​IMG]

12. Crabeg

Crabeg Well-Known Member

ooh they look cool,but don't get me collecting other stuff,i spend too much on transformers and my GF thinks i'm crazy,i'm a 33 year old man who collects toys!!

13. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh? >=D
    [​IMG]

14. Crabeg

Crabeg Well-Known Member

thats pretty wicked

15. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Semantics.

No one on this side of the screen is angry, my friend. Wasting anger over somthing like this would usless.
    As for the "ass kissing" comments, that's simply how I read all your (the cast of the podcast) posts. They gave off a "Well, everyone else likes it, so you can suck it." kind of vibe.

See, I'm not the only one.

I understand that we don't all get TF's every week, hell, I don't either! So all that means is that perhaps if someone on the panel didn't get any TF's but got some other figures they could simply just say "Oh I just got some Kamen Rider figures.", for example, and leave it at that. If that shortens the segment then that just leaves more time to talk about other stuff.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are once again using entirely personal hyperbole. Stop doing that, because it is rendering your criticisms increasingly useless.

When your points boil down to "I didn't like it, me me me," it ceases being something I can discuss. Especially when at least 2 listeneres have said they didn't mind it. It becomes a simple case of ratios when constructive criticism veers into self-centred criticism, which is useless to me.

You also said you "had" to listen, which I and several others have already explained as being untrue. Again, I provide a service of chapter markings and a timeline to you. If you don't use it and then complain about being forced to wade through something that is truly unbearable to listen to, you have only yourself to blame.

I'm also going to reply to your tangent with Gogdog:

This is ridden with fallacy. You are not a customer, you are a listener. Until I am paid money to provide the podcast, there are no customers.

I try to keep things light and airy, but please understand that I have no patience for people who have unwarranted and unfounded aggressive entitlement complexes.

If you are getting so bored as to feel the need to post at such length about it, I think that it's safe to say you found a part "boring". ;) 

In addition to the time marking and chapter list services I provide to you, many media players (hardware and software) feature a soft time-line scrub function, or fast-forward function. There are many ways to skip ahead even merely 10-30 seconds at a time.

I think you have a very skewed and pre-conceived notion of what you are reading in this thread. I have now twice responded to your criticisms, constructive or otherwise, at length. Do you not realize that if I were truly incapable of reading criticism, I simply could have deleted the post?

When you start saying hyperbolic fallicies like "I was made to listen", "nobody liked it", etc, you will receive fairly harsh replies. This is true in all walks of life, not just podcast threads on message boards.

I really do not appreciate your notion that I only want to hear people "kiss my ass" when I have put this much effort into replying to your talking points, yet you seem more interested in raising a stink about a post Gogdog made rather than respond to anything beyond the first 3 lines of the lengthy explanation I provided to you in my first response.

17. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

It's the video games argument all over again.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, while several of these talking points have been covered by my previous replies, I wanted to cover the bolded one you've raised:

I've made a point of trying not to turn away any Listener Questions unless I feel they're related to interpersonal drama (eg: questions about prominent toy customizers who are having a spat, etc). When I receive them, I add them to the bottom of an existing queue, and cover them more or less in order of reception (I sometimes bump things forward or back if they seem aimed at one particular team).

RiderStrike152's question was the first one I've received in recent memory that was so TF-unrelated, so I decided it would be fine to cover it w/ the disclaimer that I brought up before our responses. I specifically moved it to the even team as 3/4 of us would be able to readily respond, and I could make some comedy at Aaron's expense by highlighting how he's the odd one out.

I decided to do all of this so that I could both avoid turning away RiderStrike152's question, and have the "please bring up Transformers" stipulation be spoken in a newer episode under some context. :D 

19. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Here's my input on this argument:

1. It's their Podcast. They are in charge of what material is put into it.
    2. If the Non-TF figures/items were NOT in the WWGTW section, it would likely result in a much shorter, less entertaining bit. If noone bought Transformers that week, but plenty of G.I. Joes/NECA/Figuarts/Sentai/Macross/Gundam/Etc., what would they talk about?
    3. The show's main topic is Transformers. It is mostly what they talk about. Most of the Hour and a 1/2 is spent extensively covering stories that popped up that week.

Honestly, I love the off-topic banter. So do most people. As it has been stated, most modern media players allow you to fast-forward or even skip chapters. So, how this is a problem, I fail to see.

The Show is not made specifically for you. It is for a wide audience of people, with a wide variety of interests.

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I guess when someone asked about Kamen Rider or Super Sentai or whatever, than it was cool with me, even though it was a Transformers podcast so it was okay when I heard. And if I missed something, then thats fine. So yeah hopefully the dude understand it has a one time deal about that and should stay within the TF media.