WTF @ TFW - 63 - October 1 2009

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Talon84

Talon84 Well-Known Member

In regards to the Dirge discussion, the way you guys were describing him I thought of "Cosplay Dirge".

2. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ...a towel.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seth Buzzard totally likes video games. I got it in the jaw when I went like "lol I heard ODST is kind of meh" before we recorded. :O

4. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

By the way, I don't think it was brought up, but, either way... The sound for this one was absolutely perfect. No flaw aside from Seth's delay to be found in the thing. I didn't have to put up the volume to its max to hear anybody, just sit back and listen.

5. IsThatOne

IsThatOne Spark Rebirther Core

Aw... that music just lasted for a bit... it suited you guys so well!

Dirge wanabe... obsessed super seeker fan?

Sorry for the over time guys!!! Promise- won't happen again!
    Wow! Guys! Thanks... everybody around me says I should get into radio! heh.

Thanks for answering varyingly... it was quite helpful... As a series I guess Animated wasn't lost without that relationship.
    Did I just propose the end of the time when things start eating itself? I hope not!

All Hail Megatron was suppose to be what I though to be the Decepticon side... But I'm really wrong about that...

Your thoughts are now visualized... I wasn't wanting any strong feelings between the thought though. So we're veering into more individualized self-conflict? Well it would be more mini-series and best liked in manageable bites.

Hmmm.. story..... Yeah! Way back before the war! I'd dig that too!
    And new characters be so cool! Hard drama! Exiting tension and difficult decisions!
    If we expand the Transformers then... the title would be generalized as well... I suppose I can't force change...

So... Optimus Prime... the undying red and blue truck... he is a symbol... more than I know...

Oh no!!! no! NO ! NO! .... I'm depressed too now... heheheh...

6. poorboy8u

poorboy8u Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best gobot's discussion ever..

7. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Really enjoyed the podcast this week, especially the discussion of that fantastic question from OneThatIs. I've listened to that segment twice now to absorb and think about the ideas that the crew were kicking around. I think there's a good grounding in there for some excellent fiction to be written. Buzz's suggestions for a three season arc with Season 1 being the Quintesson war, Season 2 being the aftermath and the rumblings of unease in Cybertronian society and Season 3 being the start of the Great War would be a great template for a new series.

One can only hope that similar ideas are being kicked around the writers room for TF3 and the new TF animated show.

The only potential snag in setting the series before the great war is the same issue that plagued the SW prequels and Star Trek: Enterprise. We know how it's going to end. So the writers would need to pull out all the stops to make the tale all about the journey and not so much about the destination.

Agreed. I know people always talk of wanting a more "mature" TF series (I'm one of them), and for me this is what I mean by that. Not blood, or swearing or sex, but a thoughtful and deep exploration of themes such as the costs and drivers of a conflict. The best stories about wars were never really about the strategy and tactics of the war itself, even if they feature some kick-ass battle scenes. They are about the people and the societies that brought the war about, and how the war effects and changes them. Take Lord of The Rings. It's not really about the War of the Ring. It's about friendship, about the use and misuse of power, the loss of innocence, and what the sacrifices of war do to you.

Take your idea of Thundercracker and Blusestreak. How powerful would it be if during the first season of the arc proposed by Buzz, they were close friends, saved each other's life time and time again, in the second season they were close friends pulled in different directions by their opinions of the unrest, and by the end of the third season they were on opposite sides of a war, maybe even with one killing the other in battle. That would be one hell of a powerful story.

Animated did start to poke at the moral grey areas and greater questions thrown up by the conflict, and hopefully the next series will take that ball and run with it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  8. IsThatOne

IsThatOne Spark Rebirther Core

Ah.... I also didn't think that through... uhhh... But why did I actually ask those questions? My use of this knowledge will just then stagnant. But it's very nice to here you guys thoughts... keeps me thinking.

I suppose it's widely accepted that what we're looking for are more personal relationships between some iconic characters and then show how they all began.

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the MGS talk, I can see it now, Transformers:Guns of the Quintessons.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved the idea of Transformers vs. Quints. I know some folks hate that origin story, but unlike the Primus history, the quints provide a more "believable" History, and the movie "The Matrix" actually somewhat loosely borrowed from this, in that We were the quints and the robots that we were enslaving rebelled on us. But the Transformer Cartoon history puts us in the position of the enslaved robots. That's why I've always found that story intriguing.

Come on Vangelus, pull some strings and get this shit out there. Imagine old friends becoming enemies, and the cool story dynamic behind that.

11. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

Ok, the discussion of Commader Cody makes me have to bring something up. There was a Republic Serial from the 1940s called Radar Men From The Moon starring a man with a flying suit called Commado Cody. The Star Wars character's name is a direct homage to this character. He was... a bit weird looking. Here's a picture.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/scifiontv/images/9/91/Commaodocody_codyray.jpg

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Transformers Commander Cody had that face, I'd bump him up to my top 20 Transformers of all-time. :O

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    sign me up for that faith and support tattoo burn

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember seeing Radar Men From The Moon on MST 3000 but forgot the guy was named Cody.

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I listened again today, and I have to agree, that was some fantastic discussion about a prequel to G1 with the quints, that would be so awesome, but, like you said, we'll never get it.

It would make such a great story, it would be a great comic series, heck, I'd love to see even a good fanfic of it.

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a pritty complicated idea of a Transformers pre-history that works both the Quintessons and Primus into there origin as well as how Cyberton came to be, Megatron coming to power, why SS was teamed with Jetfire and how Jetfire's becoming lost lead Starscream to become leader the Seekers and how. As well has what was going on while Prime and Megs where sleeping on Earth just to name a few.

Thing is I'm no writer and will never do anything with it except have it be a load of ideas in my head.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My god. I'd never made the connection before. I need that Dirge now.

18. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  I wasn't sure if you even listened to us or not.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yeah! Im a listener! I just really forgetful and forget to post in the thread. My bad :( 

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I thought the podcast was awesome. I could handle Seth's ranting because hey he has something to say so let him say it.

Now I kinda like this pre faction story from Vangelus and whomever and that we should see something different besides the conflict between Autobots and Decepticons. Thats how fan fiction is born oh yeah.

I got to say the Star Wars X-overs Commander Cody, is cool I can deal with the name, but I think it'll be cool as a custom War Within Dynobot like Sludge or whoever. I got nothing on the ROTF Dirge so I'm cool with it. Thanks guys for fulfilling my mental capsule with your Transfromers jargon.