WTF @ TFW - 181 - January 6 2012

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 181 - January 6 2012

[​IMG]

In the first episode of 2012, everything changes.

00:00:00 - Opening
    00:00:25 - Intro
    00:02:06 - Botcon Blowout Bonanza
    01:10:32 - New Pic Picks
    01:21:06 - Prime and Rescue Bots Return February 18
    01:29:03 - Listener Question from t16skyhopp
    01:38:09 - Listener Question from ubertenorman
    01:44:40 - Intermission
    01:49:02 - What We Got This Week
    02:02:32 - What Derpy Zombies We Got This Week
    02:42:01 - Ending and Outro

Want to leave an audio listener question outside of Youtube or Private Messages? Call our WTF Hotline! These questions may be answered in recordings outside of numbered episodes, but feel free to mention your preference if it really matters to you.

That number is...
    (318) 775-9830 or (318) 775-WTF0

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_181_-_Jan_6_2012.mp3

2. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

No Vangelus? Gasp!

3. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "I hope we don't come off as complaining douche bags".

To tell you the truth, it is starting to sound that way lol. There's a lot of hate on those golden tickets, which I find funny because you guys are talking about golden ticket holders buying all the stock and selling it at inflated prices, yet in the same breath you guys talk about having extra bagged sets from previous years "you need to unload". How is that any different?

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Because in the previous years, everyone had an equal shot. I don't think that's going to dramatically change, but there's a big difference between everyone getting a chance and people missing out because a select few bought them all.

5. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    that's how people who don't go to botcon feel about people that go to botcon and buy extra sets to resell rather than let them hit the website

6. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

oh botcon, you silly silly little rascal you

7. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
  8. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I'm really tempted to buy Rager, possibly at BotCon. Everything I've heard about him make it seem like he'd be right up my alley.

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    They rarely hit the website. If attendees don't buy them, try let dealers buy the rest. IF there is anything left over, it might make it to the site, but it's only the stuff that was least popular. If someone wants con exclusives, the best way is to actually go to the convention.

10. godspeed

godspeed (Dead)Head Master

In my experience that's the problem. My job and life prevent me from spending the time to attend (which I want to do for more than just the toys BTW) so I have no alternative but to use the secondary market. I can understand why the golden ticket offends you on many levels, but if it ends up screwing anyone it is people like myself moreso than those with deep TF connections who attend or have BFFs who attend each year. So from the outside it seems a little silly for you to be so personally offended by it. Now botcon seeming to mishandle their marketing and customer relations, that's worth complaining about!

11. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    and now the best way is to buy a golden ticket

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    Again, this is all hypothetical, but if someone were to pay the $340 for the Primus package, and however much for a plane ticket, and by the time they got to the store to buy con exclusives they were already sold out, absolutely people should be allowed to be offended. Those people made the effort to go to the convention and it doesn't compare at all to people wanting to buy them at cost who didn't go themselves.

Since there is only 75 Golden Tickets, the chances of this happening are pretty slim, and personally I don't think it will happen this year. But take a year where the toys are more popular and it will be interesting to see if this scenario plays out. The only way I see this happening this year is if someone with a Primus arrives late, say late Friday or Saturday morning.

13. T.F. Allen

T.F. Allen Formerly known as Krem

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Those first few seconds were quite possibly the most horrible and frightening sounds I have ever heard (especially considering my school is doing Willy Wonka this spring).

Also, someone needs to send Megatron to stomp upon the Mayans and rescue Vangelus.

14. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish there was some way to track podcast demographics. I'd love to know how many people hit the OT WWGTW and say "fuck this! I'm out!" and turn off the podcast.

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Aww and here I thought we were make it a whole few months without this all being rehashed.

Sad Trombone.

16. bumbleblogn

bumbleblogn Banned

Dude I will so buy your SG soundwave if u don't want it ! Please pm me if u will sell ;) 

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've only listened to the first 45 minutes or so, but here's my quick thought so far pertaining to the Golden Ticket thing:

- In WTF@TFW 180, the numbers were loosely calculated and the Golden Ticket "buy triple the Con exclusives" thing is probably going to have little effect. There SHOULD be, should be, enough exclusives for everybody who usually does buy them to buy them this time around too. Although it would be interesting to see the backlash if they sold out earlier ...

18. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

My Momma always said if you don't have something good to say.... but IMHO listening to these Podcasts is akin to a circle jerk. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's really kinda silly most of the time. 99.9% of the info containted therein is available online and if I wanted to see/hear your various opinions I'd just read the applicable thread to get the gist.

Usable/pertinent content and not just ego stroking and bad jokes should be the order of the day. I get that the hosts are not professional DJ's, so no worries there, but unfortunately the crass banality of these podcasts makes me tune out at about the 5 min mark.

Get better guests, or better yet get guests period. Be more professional in your presentation, and most of all I beg you to stop pandering to the lowest juvenile sense of humor in the room. Maybe- just maybe- then you'll have a real 'show' and not just a guffaw fest of fanboys back slapping one another.

19. RandomFactor

RandomFactor Rei with the Underscore

News Credits:
    Cheese it! It's the podcast police!

Yo dawg, hey. Hey. Real talk. Just settle d- JUST CALM DOWN OKAY. WTF is well, it's literally just a bunch of nerds who are friends talking about robots. The reason they don't just one-for-one the news stories of the week is well... I don't think they'd be very good at it. I mean legitimately, news coverage is probably one of the hardest things to do, and it requires a specific kind of candor and tone that I..really don't tune in for. One of the reasons I like WTF is that it sounds like what I get out of talking with my friends about nerdy things, a bunch of people just shooting the breeze about what's going on and what they got. It's incredibly casual, and the people on it tend to be witty and snappy enough to play off one another very well.

I mean the thing to keep in mind is that it's not a Transformers News Podcast, it's a Transformers COMMUNITY Podcast and it's about what people are talking about, who's talking about things and the discussions going on in the actual community before any actual news. It's sort of like tuning into The View and being all WHY AREN'T THESE WOMEN IN AFGHANISTAN COVERING THE WAR when...well that's not the idea of the show. It's a talk show, and for just that, talking, it's done fairly well.

The circlejerk thing.. A lot of that comes from the cast having known eachother for a long time at this point, and the podcast having for, a podcast, a very long lifespan. It's a community podcast and there's a way of talking and a lot of humour that has become very ingrained within the nature of the show. It's one of those things that has really kept the Transformers Community alive is that we have developed a certain style of humour and way of talking about things that has grown into a shared language about Transformers, and the podcast is not excluded from that.

If the show became some sort of sycophantic hugbox I'd actually probably be the first person to start throwing bricks in the thread, or more likely I'd just stop listening. Instead I've found people through listening to the podcast that I've actually wanted to get to know as friends, because they've been very honest about themselves through the show, and I really can't not respect that. I've met Vangelus IRL a couple of times now and the dude is himself no matter where you see him, like seriously.

20. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Stop cheapening the hobby, get some perspective about the importance of a podcast about toy robots in your life, and just generally go away.