WTF @ TFW - 160 - August 11 2011

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I believe that the podcast will remain as it is for the foreseeable future. Not to be snarky, but I feel that we've done a decent job of arranging things now so that off topic things are pushed to a separate section. If you don't want to listen to Kamen Rider talk, or GI Joe talk, or Thundercats talk you don't need to. Skip the chapter if you've got a music player that has that functionality, or fast forward past it past it and wait till we've either changed topic to something else or the end music rolls.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is only a fragmental reply, my apologies for the rushedness!

If other TFW-network sites want to do podcasts that's cool. However, I would not readily agree to severing off-topic discussion from ours due to the existance of theirs. A Toyark podcast (being the easiest example) would not alone cause me to decide to lessen our own off-topic content in order to balance out its relevance to their own.

This next part is a bit selfish but- I feel that harshly re-balancing this podcast's off-topic content in order to integrate better with the rest of the site-network family somewhat oversteps the thin boundary between being a member of a company, and being an independent site-sponsored piece of volunteer media that is somewhat driven by the candor between its panelists.

Off-topic content as a discussion point is also always evolving, but for now I remain of the mind that aside from the reshufflings I've implemented recently (sectioning it off further than before, making the entire WWGTW section the final major part of the episode itenerary), I do not intend to implement any forestated harsh restrictions on it. I may cut in during a recording, but that all depends on how the recording feels in the moment.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Then if it has nothing to do with us, it has nothing to do with us. If someone wants to start a Toyark podcast, or Thundercats podcast, or GI Joe podcast, then that's great. We are not the ones to talk to about it because most likely we would not be involved.

I don't think your ideas are bad, but none of that is likely anytime soon. We do our show, and any of the shows that could/would be made have nothing to do with the people making this one, as it stands.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I just want to say i enjoy the off-topic portions of the podcast, i look forward to it every week, because you never know what you guys are gonna talk about!

Because of the off-topic portion of the podcast, i have gotten interested in several toylines that i normally wouldn't known about if it wasn't

i make it no secret that the podcast is the reason i love gunbuster, the show and toys based off the show have been mentioned several times and it got me interested to checking it out, now it is my favorite anime of all time

lets take one example:3A. Before the podcast, i've never even heard of these toys, but the way they described it made me very interested. I really want a large martin big red, its gonna be a while before i ever get one, but i do love the astetics of the 3A stuff. Now if the podcast hadn't talked about them i wouldn't know

I only listen to one podcast, and that is WTF@TFW, because it is the podcast i decided to dedicate my time to listening to it and i like the work that the people on it do.

without off-topic discussions it would get a bit boring in my opinion, and it would be way short compared to how it is now, which i perfer longer podcast, more enjoyable to listen to :) 

just wanted to say that

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Well I see it as something that just to my personal taste needs to be closer 1/5th than 1/3rd of the total length.

Perhaps sectioning it off is a help and I agree that was a good idea to do that but then it sometimes just becomes a conversation between Gog & Van about how much Money they've spent that month on something other than Transformers. which the only reason I find that a little odd is that what they've bought that is a Transformer gets glossed over in favour of the non transformers. So much that I remember the times a specific Transformer does get some audio love as with Hatchet.

I never said I don't like it it's just something I wanted to mention as sometimes I felt that some Transformers news has been missed out and instead we get a bit to much about Sideshow Collectables etc.

So I guess I'll shut up now but just to say can I suggest/request that before you begin recording there's some sort of bullet point of conversation topics passed between contributors so that there's less -'not seen that' comments.

Anyway I don't want to give the impressing i'm hatting on Non-Transformers or decrying the merit of the podcasts as that was never my intention.

I'm just passing on what I have had said to me about it which I though was worth a mention perhaps.

So long as the off-topic does no become overly repetitive then I can even see it's merits as a way to attract people to line they might otherwise not thought of. but I can understand how that might be a problem if the contributors maintain the same tastes.

It has got me thinking though.... what about the idea of Audio toy reviews ?
    rather than video so people can listen to them on an MP3 player / Phone?.

Anyway as I said before I do very much appreciate and enjoy the podcasts regardless of any possible difference of opinion on the details of the off topic elements.

6. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know what would help me enjoy off topic more would be you guys giving pictures to Vang of the items you talk about (or just the items you talk the most about) and them going in the show notes. I know seth and gog love taking pictures already so it would fairly easy to do and help and context for some of the stuff you guys talk about. Just an idea : )

7. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I'm getting this error message when I click on the mp3 link:

The same thing happened when I went to 157, 158, & 159 as well. The Dotm podcast seems to work fine, though.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Yes I thought the same thing.

I'd like to listen to the show if the MP3 is fixable sometime.
    There's not a way to listen to it as an embeded player any place is there ?

As normally I just click on the MP3 link and it pops up and I happily listen away.

Anyone got an idea what the problem might be with the link might be ?

9. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like off topic. It's gotten me to look into a load of other lines then what I normaly would buy from them. That's all I got to say.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I want the off topic stuff to stay as it is. I've been introduced to so much cool stuff that I would never have taken an interest in, thanks to the off topic parts of the podcast. I look forward to it every episode.

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you listened via downloading it on iTunes (that also has a built in player) you would see in the WWGTW off topic stuff has been moved to the end of the section and every section has a chapter marker you can easily use to skip to the next part. Off topic starts, you hit skip, it's like it was never there, everyone is happy.

Vangelus takes the time to make a version that gives people that ability, I think using it will eliminate a lot of your problem.

12. VeeJayZee

VeeJayZee Member

Off-Topic serves as a padding of some sort.

Anyway, when's the next episode (161)?

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Read back a page or two :)  it's in the works, just a bit delayed.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem.

I was just repeating what others had said to me.

15. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I enjoy the off-topic section. It's interesting to hear about other lines I usually don't follow, and it's introduced me to some stuff I normally wouldn't take an interest in. I'm thinking about Glyos in particular. After hearing Vangelus talk about them, I checked out the site, loved the looks of them and ordered some. I doubt I would have even heard of them otherwise.

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, then it can solve there problem.

17. Wolfwood390

Wolfwood390 Well-Known Member

So I don't know where the problem lies but as of lately I've noticed that if my iphone gets interrupted while playing the podcast, upon resuming play of podcast it defaults to some point along the track in the past. So I could be about 60 minutes into the podcast, get a phone call, then resume play after hanging up and it will be at like 17 minutes or some random point. It can do this many times in a single sitting sometimes. I mainly notice it when I'm in the car which is where I mainly listen to the podcast.

Has anyone encountered this issue and or know of a fix?

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've not heard of a skip back that far. My iPhone will sometimes rewind around 30 seconds if I've been interrupted, but never more than that.

19. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    I've had this problem, too, but it happens with other lengthy podcasts, as well, such as Preorder66. I listen to the podcast in my car, as well, and if I have to stop and get gas (or run into a TRU :D ), it will sometimes jump back to the point where I started the podcast at when I got in the car. I haven't determined a particular pattern to when it will do this or when it won't, but I do know that it started last year after they released iOS 4.

20. Wolfwood390

Wolfwood390 Well-Known Member

That sounds about right as far a symptoms and when it started. I had it happen a once a long time ago but it was really problematic the last few episodes that I didn't listen straight through.