WTF Primetime - 32 - Flunnel Mision - May 6 2012

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, May 9, 2012.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF Primetime - 32 - Flunnel Mision - May 6 2012

[​IMG]

Back into the post-Botcon groove, Vangelus is joined by GogDog and Aaron for yet another portmanteau double feature that covers Flying Mind and Tunnel Vision.

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_Primetime_-_32_-_Flunnel_Mision_-_May_6_2012.mp3

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    *reads and rereads thread title*

...and here I was hoping there would be much discussion on the cultural impact of the funnel cake. :( 

3. Chykin

Chykin Well-Known Member

Download-vent!

Hat's off to your title-fusing creativity.

4. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm only about 10 mins in, but didn't they name the warship as Trypticon (in stasis lock) in the Exodus novel?

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... maybe some Insecticons didn't have their Borg Shields active? :lol 

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I didn't even realize Miko's train line was a reference to Convoy. Good call.

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I totally phased over that one too, which makes me sad because of how well it was actually worked into the episode.

8. friendship pony

friendship pony death bringer

News Credits:
    as did i seeing its carnaval season.

9. Roni134730

Roni134730 Also known as SWCronin

I'm totally unsurprised you guys didn't mention that the phase displacer was actually referenced way back in Sick Mind. Megatron mentioned it when he couldn't hit Bumblebee in his dreams. Although, Megatron called it "phase displacement armor".

10. Draqua

Draqua Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't mention that the writer of Flying Mind was none other that Bob Skir of Beast Machines fame, credited as Robert N. Skir.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey Aaron, is there any more info you'd be willing to share about this supposed Cybertronian message on the displays?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  12. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knockout's sexual orientation never even came into my mind, until I looked at Prime threads and caption photos obsessed on it.

On another note, Knockout's paint beat down made me cringe. It was just painful to watch.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah if any of the bots were gay, I'd have pegged it to be Airachnid or Breakdown. Knockout being named as such just seems childish & very unobservant, pretty much for the same reasons being brought up in the podcast & everywhere else that this "movement" refuses to die.

14. MovieGodOptimus

MovieGodOptimus The Stand User

News Credits:
    I always thought that Knock Out is a Bisexual... I just think that

Also isn't Energon Mirage gay?

15. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

In Deus ex Machina Knock Out wolf-whistled at Optimus Prime. IF there's any piece of in-show evidence to suggest that he's either gay or bi, I think that would be it. Not so much him being vain.

That being said, I don't think Knock Out is gay or bi. Just like I don't think G1 Ironhide was from the southern United States, or that Cybertron Jetfire was from Australia.

Also, do the events of Tunnel Vision mean Raf goes back to being the most useless human character on the show? :D 

16. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

If the insecticons are divided into soldier/worker class, that kind of makes them similar to the vehicons, with the double-stripe visors indicating minors and (for lack of a better term) independent contractors. Remember when Ratchet went crazy on tech 'roids and Prime had to stop him from killing a dude who was not a soldier?

Of course, that would mean when it comes to Insecticons, Prime has no respect for the working man, given how many he killed.

17. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Part Time Toy Designer

Flying mind certainly is worth discussion... I wish I could say the same about tunnel vision.

18. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was kinda surprised when it was JakeBenderAquaman who picked up the axe instead of Miko.

Also, in regards to the Knockout is gay thing, I'm in the camp that he's camp/gay/bi/metro/robo/tri/quasisexual. But it's not 'cause I want hardcore piston in exhaust pipe action. It's because the character's written and animated and voiced in a certain way, and these days, gay characters are generally presented as awesome.

Shoreleave from Venture Brothers, Ray Gillet(te) from Archer, Captain Jack from Dr. Who/Torchwood, Nathan Seymore from Tiger & Bunny, Leeron from Gurren Lagann, the list goes on. Just 'cause a fan sees a character as having certain traits that suggest said character might fit in or be eligible to be under a certain category, doesn't mean said fan is being discriminatory or reverse-discriminatory. It could simply mean that the character has stereotypically gay traits and we're totally fine with it. Take the following screenshot, this is pretty funny when taken out of context, given Knockout's "category".

[​IMG]

Granted, there are those who DO take it too far beyond harmless fun. There are plenty of fanart where things get just plain explicit and weird. Not to mention the whole Starscream and Megatron thing, which is frankly, just desperate reaching.

And at least Knockout HAS those traits, which are considered cool and fabulous in these modern days of Pink is Manly. Unlike the aforementioned Starscream and Megatron relationship.

So in closing, yeah, there are those who take it to places that are just plain sad and un-fun, but the whole arguing against the character having said trait thing is also un-fun. We all just like, gotta chillax and stuff and be all hippie-like.

19. Hypershock

Hypershock Well-Known Member

Im glad that Gog and vangelus shared my trypticon theory and addressed my insecticon justification :) 

The phase armor was actually mentioned by Megatron in sick mind

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Good podcast, enjoyed it very much.

Can definitely agree with the Insecticon theory - as in the writer just wasn't aware of what he was working with, though I could theoretically buy the idea that Insecticons are weaker in insect mode.

Still can't understand how robots can have a sexuality. I just see Knockout as the supreme narcissist, vain to a fault - which I have a feeling will lead to his demise/downfall one of these days. He's probably my favorite Decepticon after Starscream.