WTF Primetime - 26 - Operation Bumblebee Pt 1 - March 13 2012

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF Primetime - 26 - Operation Bumblebee Pt 1 - March 13 2012

[​IMG]

Operation Vangelus joins Operation GogDog and Operation Aaron to Operation discuss the first half of Operation Bumblebee. Featuring Operation Isenberg!

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_Primetime_-_26_-_Operation_Bumblebee_Pt_1_-_March_13_2012.mp3

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet, I was looking forward to this. BRB, firing up the "I'm surprised you guys didn't mention" generator.

I didn't notice any Animated traits from this episode.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Just what the doctor ordered.

I don't know of any Isenberg-specific things about the episode, but I couldn't help but notice, aside from the fact that he can't actually use words, Bumblebee reminded me just a little bit of Animated Bumblebee. It wasn't very prominent, and I'd just as likely chalk it up to Bee's lack of much character development. Even if I'm off-base, Bee needed some development badly, and this episode delivered.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhahaha, love the host change soundclip. :) 

5. ToasterPrime

ToasterPrime Toast maker

The car commercial for Bumblebee's car model... I'm getting a Starscream vibe from the voice-over dude.

...anyone?
    ....anyone?
    ...Bueller?...

6. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Re: Megatron walking through the groundbridge.

There have been a bunch of instances of things flying through the groundbridge and keeping their momentum when they come out the other side, like Arcee in the first episode of this season, so yeah, that was kind of weird.

edit: Now that I think about it; I don't remember Animated's spacebridges working like that either, so it wasn't Marty forgetting what show he was on.

7. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Con Job had an example of that too. When they chucked Makeshift through the Groundbridge and he knocked over the Vehicons trying to cross over.

8. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

To clarify a bit of the comic/show continuity, Cliffjumper and Arcee met before the events of the comic. In fact, Cliff says something to the effect of "Hey, remember me? I helped save you that one time." So they had known each other awhile before becoming partners and going to Earth.

I'm not surprised you guys didn't mention that, because you have enough to talk about, and life's too damn short.

9. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    'Ride with the sirens on' was my favorite bit of the whole episode. <3 Ratchet

10. MovieGodOptimus

MovieGodOptimus The Stand User

News Credits:
    Starscream is a car salesman?

Weird... it seems more of something Swindle would do

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
  12. ToasterPrime

ToasterPrime Toast maker

Someone at Hasbro needs to recall all those surplus bumblebee deluxes and paint them grey or silver...
    the commercial to sell'em is already good to go.

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I agree that they should have called it "Transformation Cog" at least once. Hopefully the average viewer will still be able to figure out what the "T" stands for, since it should be easy enough to put two and two together. And even if they don't, it won't affect the story anyway...it's a special part that enables them to transform, that's really all you need to know.

He did seem a little Animated-ish, particularly with his self worth being based on speed, and the scene where he angrily backtalked Ratchet. But I don't think he's deliberately being written like the Animated version, he's just showing some personality at at time when he happens to be angry. If the situation was different and Bee wasn't so pissed off, he probably wouldn't have felt so much like Ani Bee (who had that aggressive attitude all the time).

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Another good episode Vangelus, Arron, and Gogdog.

I enjoyed this episode after being pissed off from seeing yet another MacGuffin 30 seconds in to the episode. You guys hit it home when you mentioned that at least this episode had several tie ins, in particular from the previous 3-parter episode.

This episode's Bumblebee was also a pleasure to watch. The beeping talk actually worked with this episode and the emotion was captured brilliantly. I want to see more of this from BB as we progress through the season.

MECH and Starscream tagteam is badass. I hope the writers really capture the tension from this team up.

Last point: I liked what you fellas said about Prime showing us what the movies could be like because it's absolutely true. I enjoyed the movies, but Prime IMO are the movies done better through better writing. There's a lot of improvement that needs to be made (less MacGuffins), but I'm beginning to enjoy the series more and am starting to lose the episode of the week flavor I had previously.

15. SearchmanDS

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing I like about Prime is how it downplays* the fact Cybertronians are huge assholes. Taking their war off their dead planet to other galaxies in universe, stashing energon and weapons of war on other planets, and shooting importing things off into space because they are too important to fall in the hands of the enemy, leaving that battle to take place on another world. It may not be as blatant as Drift's spotlight, but I'd really like something to come up that calls the Cybertronians out at some point.

*Downplay was the best word I could come up with, but if anyone can anyone can think of a better term, let me know.

16. Hypershock

Hypershock Well-Known Member

yea steve blum was the announcer

17. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    With GogDog explaining that he zones out at the credits it now makes sense he doesn't remember the show's composer, given that his credit has always been the first one that pops up when the episode ends. Brian Tyler, by the way.

18. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I'd hate to be 'that guy', but I thought you guys wouldve brought up that the gas station in this episode is the same from Metal Attraction. Straight down to the old pickup truck.

But good episode, and can't wait to hear the next.

19. SearchmanDS

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That same pickup truck was in Convoy, when Fowler get honk happy. It's fun to notice stuff like that when you rewatch a previous season on DVD.

20. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Awesome, somebody else picked up on that feeling too!

No, I don't think the resemblance to Animated is a deliberate intention, but something about the full package of reactions and things Bee has "said" in this episode definitely rubbed me that way, not just talking back to Ratchet. Showing off his loop-dee-loop at the base, anxiously bugging Ratchet about everyone else, that dismissive remark he made to Bulkhead on their mission... I bet someone could find Animated clips to dub in over the beeps and it would work.

All that said, as I did mention earlier, Bee has had almost no characterization in Prime. His best moments that I can recall are actually when he's working off another character (Megatron, Airachnid) and don't really tell you much of anything about himself. Bee could very well have always been meant to be as playful as we've seen and we'd have no way of knowing because he never got a spotlight episode like this. In fact, I'm also left wondering if knowing Isenberg wrote this episode could have simply clouded my perception. Had I never heard the writing discussion on Twitter before this episode aired, would I have immediately noticed these things? Impossible to know now!

[​IMG]

???