WTF Primetime - 05 - Scrapheap - Feb 19 2011

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF Primetime - 05 - Scrapheap - Feb 19 2011

[​IMG]

A Primetime quad-crew of Vangelus, Gogdog, Aaron, and Omegus hit up some televised cg robot filler, riding their magic foam dispenser.

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_Primetime_-_05_-_Scrapheap_-_Feb_19_2011.mp3

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Some interesting points about this episode:
    1.Bulkhead is a screamer.
    2.Scraplets are vicious little SOB with a look that screams Sharkticons with Mecannibals.
    3.Sub-freezing temperatures are a (beep) to Transformers biology and Scraplets.
    4.Miko is also a screamer, well with spiders.
    5.Finally the mood was almost like watching Jaws or the old school movie of Piranha.

Still it was a good episode to watch and if I missed something well I need to hear what your guys opinions about it asap.

3. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oddly enough I didn't think Mouser when I saw the Scraplets. They seemed to remind more of Langoliers

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the real quick shot of Bumblebee's face as he, Bulkhead and Ratchet were sprawled out on the floor looking up at the looming scraplet swarm above them.

That was a look of sheer terror if i ever saw one. If anything it reminded me of the way Leo looked when Starscream was trying to bomb them in Egypt.....only not annoying.

5. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

lol. you canadians think your soda is so much better

6. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Regarding the whole thing about the video games they were playing: It looks like they were playing it on a really old, cheap looking TV too. :lol 

7. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

Hey! Animation time again!

For big swarms and stuff, you guys hit it right on the head-- 3D animators have access to complex and clever plugin programs that simulate large groups of creatures or characters, mitigate collision issues, and generally automate a lot of the process. Not completely, mind you-- it takes a ton of fine tuning to make anything look as good as it does on TF: Prime. It just does it enough so that a cast of hundreds or thousands (like in Lord of the Rings) is feasible.

And yep! That stuff would take a long time to render-- which, if clips were emerging from this episode as early on as you guys said, makes a lot of sense.

One thing they did that you didn't mention, but I thought really deserved attention, was the absolutely superb work done with the damaged textures on the bots. Waspinator and Cheetor never had wounds on their bodies when they got shot! It was painful and terrifying to watch the Scraplets chew those deep gouges in the 'bots-- and great to see them stick around until the end!

8. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved how they kept the battle damage on all the bots throughout the episode, Its an awesome touch that if they wanted to keep it cheaper could have just fudged over but it was awesome.

You cant watch this in SD, I saw the first 5 parter in SD and wasn't that impressed, and just thought i'd give the first five part ep a chance in HD, its so night and day. I couldn't download the other 4 eps fast enough. I always gonna hold for a HD encode of any other episodes I watch.

9. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    You guys keep referring to this as a "filler" episode, but to me that feels like a negative. I would call this a "stand alone" episode. You can come back and watch, or even watch this as a new viewer, and be able to fully enjoy it without having to know what happened 3 episodes back. The last episode was a filler episode. If the last episode was just about Skyquake and they didn't show anything that happened with Megatron and Starscream, it would have been a kind of crap episode. "Oh, there was Skyquake and he was awesome and he had a big gun and then he died. Oh well, whatever. What's next?" But because they added the thing with Megatron, we managed to advance the story slightly and the episode had more content to it.

Also, I thought it was pretty interesting how Raf had to kill his new little friend to save his big old friend.

BotCon 2012 troop builder figure=Scraplets.

And finally, I'm just gonna say, Prime X Arcee. Hahaha!

10. R_Death_angel

R_Death_angel Active Member

A 75kg human contains roughly 1.25kgs of Calcium. Which is a metal.

I'm sure the scraplets could survive on us if they had to. :eek: 

11. Talon84

Talon84 Well-Known Member

I thought the Scraplets reminded me of the Tooth Fairies from Hellboy 2
    [​IMG]

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Wait....so that means.......people........BUILDINGS ARE PEOPLE!!!!! BUILDINGS ARE PEEEEEEOPLEEEEEE!!!!!!

13. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

Well... techinically its an Alkaline earth metal... though if they eat those too, it suggests a potent means of extermination is chucking a magnesium flare at a swarm and watching them explode! :D 

14. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

And I thought I was the only one.

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animationwise I can only think one thing.

How amazing Beast wars would have been with these graphics (the ending of Beast machines would have looked better for having different types of bots in it at any rate,)

I thought it a good episode and the scraplets seem to have repercussions (at least in the following episode).

16. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Hmm, That little mistake of calling Skyquake Thunderwing makes me think he'd look good in Thunderwing colors.

17. IdleLurker

IdleLurker Active Member

I threw this out at Vangelus on Twitter, but none of you saw a resemblance between the Scraplets and Sharkticons? See, all big eyes and way too many teeth. on Twitpic

Further, I was kind of disappointed by the lack of Vangelus running with his "Raf is a maladjusted mental case from a broken home" when he murdered his Scraplet; seemed like a good spot to dump a "TAKE! THAT! DAD! YOU MISSED MY BIRTHDAY!"

18. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ratchet's face animation is the best in the show. Whoever animates him is extremely talented.