WTF!? Pre-banned from tvnihon forums?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dark Magnus, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I see your point about not wanting to become a help channel for to use IRC, if you guys notice a number of similar questions coming from people who are having problems, couldn't you take 10 to 15 minutes and add an addendum to your help pages addressing that commonly found problem? Or perhaps, since the answer is out on the web, link to a comprehensive IRC site where those new users can bug someone on the comprehensive site about their query?

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, nothing I don't already know on that front. Everything I've ever imported only has English subtitles... no chinese anywhere. Alot of places are starting to do all region now... either that or do like me and get a region free player. Regions are stupid anyways. Yep most single volume Anime DVDs (about three to four eps each) are about $50 each... with import costs... I usually pay about $80+ depending on whom I import from. Like I said, I only import from shops I know. I have seen DVDs like you're talking about though and know better than to buy them... stuff like that is usually found on ebay for pretty cheap. Like you say, 52 eps on only six or less DVDs... and no special features to boot. Still, I've got friends whom have bought such DVDs and they are high quality bootlegs... and to get an entire series for only the $30 or so my friend pays... well, I can't personally blame him.

Again, to be quit frank, to me it's still an unofficial source and as such is on even terms with a good quality bootleg. I'm not saying that TV-N doesn't do a quality service, but I will say that either way isn't very different to me. As for the subtitles on bootlegs being horrible... I've seen fansubs and dubs that are equally so. I'm not saying anything from TV-N is, but you have qaulity bootlegs and qaulity fansubs/dubs. As far as paying for bootlegs, I go out of my way to make sure I don't buy bootlegs for the most part. I've educated myself well enough not to. As for paying for bootlegs, well some people will and that's because you can't really own a fansub unless you have a bunch of expensive equipment to burn it for yourself. And I, personally, don't like to keep alot of stuff on my harddrive nor do I like to watch movies or shows on my computer because it's not what my computer is for. I suppose being into anime and importing it for the past ten plus years has left me somewhat cynical to the whole fan done thing.

Sorry that I've gone off topic here, but I was simply responding to something that was thrown in my direction and a somewhat skewed answer to my misinterpreted question.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I think the common problem is that no one is reading the help pages.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Never. Why? Because people don't pay attention.

As for TV-N, I want to first say I love the stuff. I think they do an awesome job fansubbing. Best work by far. But their approachability leaves something to be desired. The "No asking any type of questions" rules they have are absurd. As KidD says, 8 months and not a peep yet no one can ask why? I could see if someone is being beligerant or rude about it but a simple "What's the status?" and still get jumped on? Not good practice. Same with help in IRC. There was that time when the page was down so ihad to go to IRC. I never used it and went through the help pages with a fine tooth comb. Still didn't work. Got no help. Never went back.

I understand it's not their job. I could see if they weren't doing anything important. But you are MODERATING A CHAT CHANNEL. Part of moderating is policing bad behavior and enforcing the rules but part of that is also to help people out as being the most informed one there. That would be like every mod, staff member, and admin here at 2005 to completely ignore requests and questions.

5. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Actually, the last status update about Headmasters was December 12th. Ever try being patient and acknowledge the fact that they're still working on it?

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Not a big fan of civility, eh? :rolleyes: 

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I can be uncivil, but i'm trying to keep this from turning into a giant insult contest.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yes, yes you can.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, but can he fix it?

10. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

My thoughts on these topics:
    1. When someone asks you a polite though stupid question, help them. It's just the right thing to do, RL or here. Yes, yes, google answers all, but that takes a lot of time sometimes. It is much easier to ask someone who obviously knows the answer. If you are on an IRC channel, you obviously know how to use it and therefore can explain how it works. If someone read the help and it didn't make sense to them, then maybe you can rephrase it a bit. What are ops for if not to help people? Maybe if that OP is busy at the moment with some other issue then he can say politely "sorry, I can't help you now", but if he is just sitting there in the channel then he should help out.

2. I greatly dislike it when people disallow free E-Mail service signups. I use Hotmail because I like using MSN and don't want the hassle of multiple E-Mail adresses. Even if I was willing to use a second one for sign-up, my Mom took the one that came with our ISP. Most people I know use a free E-Mail service. I only know a couple of people who actually use E-Mails that came with thier ISP.

11. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    But it hasn't and I highly doubt it would. It seems that more people are praising TV-N than anything. They are more just upset with their "customer service". Everything here has just been more of a Q&A rather than anything else. I haven't seen a simgle concrete insult at all.

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I signed up for TV-N's forums as soon as I got a GMail account last month. There are some great threads there discussing the episodes they've done subs for. I mostly lurk there, but I'm sure I'll get into discussing new episodes as they're released.

As for IRC, that was difficult to use, but easier than DC++. I'd love to use Iaconhub, but there's no way I'll bother, what with torrents available at TV-N.

13. Cyberdramon

Cyberdramon 地獄の番犬

I don't really think anyone should be expected to provide "customer service". I get paid to smile and take it up the butt (metaphorically so...) for 10 hours a day at work. I fansub for fun. It's not really all that fun when people constantly join the channel/e-mail and say "where can i download video?" It's highly frustrating when the same questions are asked over and over.

It's also frustrating when people say they have problems doing something but can't communicate effectively to solve the problem... I'm sure those of you who have worked in the field of tech support can appreciate how similar the situations can be. That's probably the number one reason why we dislike having to sit and walk everyone through how to get on IRC/install a BT client/configure their router/concept of codecs/etc/etc/etc... If the Help pages don't help you I really doubt a channel operator will be able to.

As for the whole asking when things will be out... Imagine you're writing a novel and everytime you get a chance to sit down and really start to write the phone rings... what would you do? Keep answering or unplug the phone? Well, we attempt to just send everyone to voicemail. Our lives are busy... Work, school, family, friends... Life. It sucks. It gets in the way. I wish I could pay my bills by just fansubbing... because seriously... If you want someone to blame for Headmasters going so slowly... it's my fault. I've just been busy and I'm the one with the DVDs... but I'm not really losing sleep over it. It'll get done.

And yeah... Some of the free e-mail places are banned from our forums because it's easier on us not having our forums spam-bombed every other hour. Gmail's better anyway.

14. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Well said, Cyber. How you can work and get all these weekly shows done is some kind of miracle.

How about we take a break from this thread and enjoy these new Superlink DVD encodes that T-N has just released? : D I've always wanted to see the show.

15. Foster

News Credits:
    DVD encodes? Are those different from the WPP/TV-N subs that were put out as the series aired?

16. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    They're the same fansubs, just with crystal clear DVD quality video.

17. Foster

News Credits:
    *contemplates DL'ing Super Link all over again*

18. Foster

News Credits:
    Cyberdramon, thanks for dropping by. We are in your debt for your hard work for the TF fan community. Waiting for new episodes is FAR faster than me actually learning Japanese. :lol 

And take as long as you need to for Headmasters. I know it will be a superior product to the UK version.

19. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Only the first seven episodes actually.

20. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    See, I can agree to an extent. I still just have problems with the simple idea of being civil. Sure it can be frustrating but if helpful, people will be extremely grateful. And honestly, I didn't mind if no one could help as you point out might be the case. That's cool. "Hey, I have no idea" is different from being booted fro mthe channel all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.