"WTF?!" moments in video games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Brawlastator, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    A little topic to share moments where you got more than a little pissed off while playing a video game.
    I'll start off:
    I'm playing Metriod Prime 3, and I come to an area where there are two big mirror-looking surfaces on both sides of a tall room. I know I have to get to the top of said room quickly, according to the story, for some reason I've forgotton. I scan the mirror-walls and get a message that translated to "you go up these." I spend a good five minutes in the room, trying to find a way up these blasted walls, when suddenly:
    "ba-DOOMP ba-DOOMP"
    The game's Navi, the Aroura unit calls. I annoyedly answer, seeing as I was allready in a bad mood from the stupid room and because, so far, the Aroura has given me nothing but "you need to hurry" messages and useless advice. I tune out the noise, catching only "other planet." After all, I've tuned her/it/whatever out for most of the game up until this point with no issue. Ten minutes pass, and I give up. I look up the solution on the intertubes and guess what?
    I'm supposed to go back to one of the "other planets" I went to a while back and find a new item to get up these walls. Now, initially, I thought "well, it's my fault for not listening this time." Exept, one thing bugged me. I was only paying half-attention, but that half didn't hear the planet's name. Ten minutes on youtube, and sure enough, the AU's line was "The item you need to continue is on another planet." This is where I got really pissed for 4 reasons.
    1. Why did the AU wait five minutes upon me entering the room to tell me this?
    2. I made is this far without listening to the AU, why should I listen to it now?
    3. The game had just set up a sense of urgency. Most of the AU's comments were "hurry up" and "you're running out of time!" Suddenly I have the time to go screw around on another planet?
    4. The AU gave no inclination as to which planet I was supposed to go to. No "go to Elysia" or anything. Just "go to another planet."
    /rant

So, please do share your similar moments of frustration so that I may comfort myself with them and convince myself that I don't have anger problems.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I had a WTF moment playing Ultimate Spiderman for the first time as Venom and finding out that he doesn't websling , rather him doing Hulk-jumps.

And another WTF moment for me is
    The Force:Unleashed...

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Seeing Pyramid Head do "things" to those "things" in Silent Hill 2.

"The hard part" in the last level of Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I still can't grapple through those poles and leap those ledges in time. And let's not even begin to discuss that bat-demon monsters...

NOT BEING ABLE TO SWIM in Grand Theft Auto games and Mercenaries 1.

Still finding Goldeneye 64 to be the best James Bond game to date despite all the others made after it.

Fighting FatMan in MGS2. I HATE defusing bombs! Especially timed ones!

Slipping on birdshit in MGS2.

The Ending to Shadow of the Colossus. I wish we knew more to the whole story (ICO, etc.)

Stupid drunk AI drivers running me over or smashing my rides in GTA vice city. Only leads to road rage and smoldering wreckage.

"But Mario, your Princess is in ANOTHER castle!" #@%&!

4. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

The suffering: The only way to get the good ending is to save all the people who practically insist on dying, BS.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

in gta4, i went out drinking with Dwayne, and when we got out, someone started a fight with me, kicked me down some stairs and then kicked me till i died.

why can't you fight when drunk?! seems like the best time to me.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Zone of Enders with the kid rambling on and on about Killing is wrong, etc. I never wanted to smash my TV more.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone stated when Luigi starts Humping things on Luigi's mansion? Anytime you try to push something in the game, Luigi starts humping it and saying "oh yeah, oh yeah." That was the most disturbing thing I have seen and definitely a WTF moment.

I agree. But I'm glad Leo grew up in the second one. Even though I kicked his ass as Dingo.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

almost as strange as the table humping guard in assasins creed yo.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Just yesterday I was playing Far Cry 2 and I kept taking sniper fire, I could recognize the sound of an SVD Dragunov shooting. There where other guys hitting me pretty bad with their assault rifles and shotguns too. I'm doing my best to take down all these guys, and I even cleared a guard outpost but all this time that sniper kept shooting and me and I couldn't find it. "Oh my god! The enemy AI cant be that good! No way!" I running all over the place, listening for the rifle shot, and I'm getting closer and VOLLA! I say the Dragunov's muzzle flash, I get out my assault rifle and I pour lead into the area, but then he still shoots back! Argh! I switch to my pistol to get in real close! I find that the bastard is stuck inside a rock and his rifle happens to stick out far enough to keep shooting me. I threw some Molotov cocktails to cover his line of sight and got out there.

The WTF is because I thought this was going to be a really exciting battle but it was ruined by a stupid glitch.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The pace at which you aged in Fable really pissed me off - you go from being a teenager to a beardy old man in just a couple of hours.

Also, in Operation Flashpoint, why can you not reload and move at the same time? I've done it before, so why not a trained soldier? :S

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

My biggest WTF moment in a video game? Pretty much any time I play a sports video game. I can be totally owning the CPU opponent and then they mount a "miraculous" comeback by scoring every time while I can't seem to do anything. I have yet to find a sports game that plays fairly.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The first time I ever played Rainbow Road on Mario Kart Wii in 150cc, the AI is so f'ing CHEAP! I got blown up by at least 5 blue shells and everybody but me got the bullet bill TWICE!

Then there's the part where you beat Bowser for the last time in SM:Galaxy. It was SOOOOO easy, I couldn't believe it!

And then there was the last race in NFSU2, which is supposed to be uber-hard. Yeah right, I beat the "super" 350z the kingpin guy "Caleb" drove with the Nissan 240SX I STARTED WITH by OVER THREE MINUTES!

man it feels good to get those things off my chest:) 

13. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Sounds like MK, MKII, MKIII.... Street Fighter II....

14. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

The end movie of Kingdom Hearts,

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I go WTF every time I play a game in 2008 and I have to rotate the camera with the right stick to see where my character is going.
    Development Community -it is not 1996! Figure it out.

Here are some memorable WTF moments, I guess.
    X-men (Sega Genesis): So I finally get a game that lets me control the most interesting team of heroes ever and it is so frustratingly hard that it is no fun at all. There is a stupid "Mutant Power Bar" that prevents you from using their powers in the , you know, way you want to use their powers.

For those who have no experience with the game, I'll put it like this.
    You use the "mutant button" to activate Wolverine's mutant power and his claws pop out. Awesome! Now you can deal major damage to the enemy -for about 15 seconds. Then his "Mutant Power" bar is exhausted and the claws retract.
    I wonder how much the guy got paid who thought that up.
    Not to mention the brilliance of the "computer must be reset" nonsense.

The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360)
    I did go WTF every time I was floating midair attacking a Rancor and the game would randomly decide that I was targeting a Felucian on the ground (and about 50 feet away from Starkiller).

Transformers (Xbox 360): The Transform button is called "convert"? That should have been the first indication that game was gonna suck.

Dead Rising (Xbox 360) So my man, the awesome Frank West (he's covered wars, ya know?) just gets done fighting Isabella on a motorcycle. I personally controlled Frank as he chopped her with a machete and popped about 11 bullets into her. Now I am treated to a cut scene where Isabella tells Frank "you're hurting me" because he is holding her by her wrists? What about the wounds from the machete and gunshots?

Tomb Raider 3 (Playstation)
    So I get through one of the levels in India and the game shows me my results.
    It was something like:
    Playtime: 2 hours 15 minutes
    Secrets 3 of 3
    Kills 5

I thought about all the switches I had to push and all the deaths I had from the klunky controls and never played the game again.

Ridge Racer 4 (Playstation): I went WTF to myself after I finished each race in first, second, and third just so I could get the stupid Pac-man car. Epic waste of time.

Not exactly. The MK series is more like the "Sports Games AI" where you just can't touch the enemy at all.
    I remember playing MK 2 and I would make sure and lose a round every now and then so the game wouldn't invoke the "You Can't Hit Me" mode.

Street Fighter doesn't cripple your ability to hit the enemy, it just cripples your damage when you hit the enemy.
    I once counted a game where I hit Bison 23 times and he still had about 60% of his health left and he hit me 5 times and it was game over.
    Different, but no less frustrating.

16. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Were you paying attention to your scans earlier on in the game? I assume you're referring to Screw Attack? Did you scan everything in the room? When you play Metroid Prime, you have to immerse yourself and remember every detail, so you can make connections later on...

And, on-topic,

Every two seconds on High Items Brawl. Wicked fun!

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

One of mine:

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl:

So, I'm on a mission underground in some sewers. After finally getting a rifle which does not suck too bad, and tearing through people sent down to kill me with it I'm feeling like a badass. While leaving the sewer I hear a noise behind me and the screen is getting a little funny looking. I turn around and see a slow moving, human looking, mutant. Feeling like a badass now, I decide to run towards it to finish it off as soon as possible since I'm running a little low on ammo. So I'm quickly approaching this thing and feeling awesome. Suddenly out of nowhere this mutant attacks by grabbing my consciouses, pulling me froward, and throwing me back. I think thats odd for a second and I stop because I'm not sure what is happening. It does it again, this time I notice my health bar take a dramatic drop and that I'm nearly dead. I panic. Not just in the game panic but like real life panic. A game has never done that to me before. I run back to where I was looking for cover and I'm lucky to find some. From there I apply my last medkit and I'm still slightly surprised. Im now thinking what the hell this thing is and what just happened. As this is happening I look out and notice that this thing is still coming for me and I don't want it to get any closer. I reload my gun and I only have 27 bullets left. I shot at this thing by quickly leaning out of the corner and taking a few shots at a time. Its soon really close and Im out of bullets for my rifle so am forced to switch to a pistol. Finally after almost a whole magazine, the thing finally drops. I guess I was getting a little too into the game when this happened, but this first mutant encounter really startled me. Didnt help that I decided to get too confident after a difficult mission A WTF moment for sure.

18. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Yeah, those guys are horrible! That actually sounds like a pretty kickass experience though. My 1st encounter wasnt as awsome, I was able to spot the mutant 1st and not taking any chances I opened fire on the blurr. The thing rushed me and I was still pretty freaked out by the psi-attack but put more bullets wasted the SOB. I think I had a shotgun for that, not too sure.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    When I was playing Jade Empire and it was revealed to me that my master was in fact the evil son of a bitch. I was gobsmacked.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    That's not Traveller's Tales/Activition's fault, because officially Hasbro refers to transformation in documentation, packaging and uses outside of fiction as "convert" or "conversion". They do this to protect their trademark for Transformers from becoming a generic trademark like Kleenex or Jell-o.

That's why all their competitors aren't allowed to use "Transformers" on their toys, but constantly use "Transform" as a description for the process where toys turn from one form to another.