WTF is wrong with people???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Aug 26, 2007.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I'm gonna start by saying this is a personal rant. Just venting more than anything.

I started my day out by getting up early on a Sunday to go help a guy that I used to work with. He's not a close friend or anything, just a guy I know from a previous job. His car's broke, and he knows I used to be a mechanic. (don't ask for advice, you won't get it, sorry) I'm a fairly nice, helpful person. I grew up in Germany, was taught to help others and not ask for anything in return but for that person to help someone when they need it. Any way, he called at about 4 pm yesterday to see if I could help him this morning. I'm not fond of "working" on Sundays, not a super religious person, but that's just something you're not supposed to do. He says if he doesn't get it fixed, he has no way to work on Monday. Okay, I'll come by around 9 because I've got plans for the rest of the day. I get to dude's house, and he tells me his wife had to go to work, and he can't work on it now because he's gotta watch his kid. Okay, why the hell didn't you call me last night and tell me this and I coulda slept in. Then, knowing I own a few extra cars, he asks, "you don't have a car that I can just borrow, do ya?" WTF. No. "I'll call you when I have someone to watch my kid." Sorry, I'm not revolving my day and changing my plans.

Then, ....let me explain this one a bit... My Dad is a big Nascar fan. He comes to the 2 races in Bristol, Tn, which is about 45 minutes from my house. He stays with us when he comes up for the race. I spent a week cleaning the house (wife's got OCD about house guests). He calls on Wednesday, the day he's supposed to be here and says "oh, I didn't tell you, I'm staying with friends at the track." Argh! This is one of, maybe 3 times a year my kids get to see him. So, we make plans to drive up there so the kids can see him. He tells me "I'll come down and we can spend Thursday together." Cool, the kid's can see him, and I can spend some time with my pops. Well, Thursday comes around, time goes by, and I finally call him at 1pm. "Where are you?" "I didn't get much sleep (stayed up all night with friends), so I'm just gonna rest today." BTW, this is the only day he doesn't have a race event to go to. So, I've wasted my day waiting on someone for nothing, plus I've got 2 dissappointed kids that thought grandpa was picking them up from school. Now, the kicker. He calls me while I'm gone to the guy above's house.
    "You gonna let me in?" "I would if I was home." "Where are you?" "Trying to help a friend fix his car." "Oh, I was gonna stop by and visit before I went home." "Well, I can be there in about 10 minutes." With a pissy tone "Oh, don't worry about it if you're doing something. I guess I should've called first." "Yeah, I guess so." "Well, I'm going to GA. Bye." and hangs up. Okay, I'm I the only one that thought he just got pissed that I didn't wait around the house in hopes of him stopping by. WTF. My dad and I have had a rocky relationship at best. I....hmpf.

Sorry to rant to you guys, but at least I can do it somewhere. Am I the ass here?

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well the first guy was a jerk, he could have brought his kid with him, if I was you I would never help him again that's for sure. As for your dad, ignore him. Why have a relationship with someone like that?

One time my "best friend" (who was no longer my best friend after this incident) told me to meet her at the mall, and call her cell when I got there. I drove all the way to the mall, and called her cell, I called like 10 times. Later that day she was on AIM and I asked her what happened and she said "oh I saw some friends from school, and I hung out with them" I said "well why didn't you answer your cell when I called?" and she said "I dunno, I was talking to them". People just suck.

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Speaking as someone who has lost their dad, I'd say to forgive him. I don't mean don't get angry, just don't let it ruin your entire relationship. I got annoyed with my father a lot in the past and, despite having a good relationship, there's still times I wish I'd spent more with him.

4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I'm not gonna not forgive him. He's the only grandfather my kids have. I grew up with a grandfather, and I always felt like I missed out. I've swallowed a LOT of pride with my dad. (we went 4 years w/o speaking once, and 3 years another time) As long as he never hurts my kids, he'll get another chance, but if he hurts my kids, physically (which I'm not worried about, he's not that kind of person) or emotionally (which he does have a history of), then that's it. It's game over. I just needed to vent a little to people who don't already not like my dad, as my family does. Thanks for the replies.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, not to invoke or anything, but I think that story just added me to list of people who don't like your dad.

I have met too many peoiple like that, who think the world revolves around them, and totally dis-regard everyone else in light of them.

My grand dad, uncle, aunt, dad, gandmother and, basicaly everyone in my family besides my mom and sister are like that. And thus, we barely stay in touch. (thanks to my home-wrecking aunt.)

6. Aush

Aush Brumblebee

Lol, are you the ass here? Definently not. What a jerk, especally the first guy. Its kind of sad about the second guy but still. Sometimes I just cant stand people either. SO, all in all, not your not the jerk!

7. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

While your father was inconsiderate, I would still forgive him, and let him know he is welcome anytime.(My dad lives over 2000 miles away)

The friend/associate with the broken car---Whenever I help someone out, especially when it's for free, I always let them know that the MY Time is the most important factor. So if there is anything they can do to prep the job, or make it less time consuming they need to do that as a courtesy to me. I am always very clear about this, and also the fact that if My Time is wasted, or unappreciated in anyway, I will never help them out again. It may sound a little harsh, but I would much rather be at home with my family than anywhere else.

You are not an ass in any way. I would chalk up the situation with your dad to a breakdown of communication, and maybe a little bad prioritizing on his part. The guy that wants your help with his car, explain where you are coming from, and that you didn't appreciate that there was no notice on the cancellation.
    I wouldn't waste my time trying to help him again, but that's just me.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My policy is to not get crabby with folks less they try to shoot at me. Otherwise you'd be crabby all the time, y'know? People are gonna be people and act like that sometimes. I always figured caller ID was for avoiding 'em, y'know?

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah people can be a waste of skin sometimes.

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Sometimes you can't see the caller ID in time to stop yourself from answering the phone. My Mom had a friend (bless her heart) that would start rambling on as soon as she heard you say okay.

Family is family, even if you have a rocky relationship with them.

11. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Some people just don't get it. Somehow it doesn't enter their mind that maybe you might have something to do with your day and that your day doesn't revolve around them. It's inconsiderate, and some people just don't get that. I know how that feels, so I've been in the same boat.

Btw, why can't I ask you for advice? You said you were nice. :( 

12. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Your friend sounds like he just had a "I'M THE BIGGEST MORON ON THE PLANET" moment. Which got doubled up on by the fact that your dad showed up while you were busy pandering to his idiocy. Don't be TOO mad at him - snark at him for not calling to say he didn't need your help anymore but chalk it up to an idiot moment (unless he has a habit of doing these sorts of things; some people ARE just idiots.)

As far as your dad, that's a WTF right there. Blowing off his family, and then sure - randomly showing up, that WOULD be cool. If you were a complete and total shut-in that never left the house. Granted he may have assumed that since you don't really believe in working on Sundays, you'd be home - regardless he shoulda called first. He probably felt like more of a jerk than you did in the end (and believe me, you're not the one that should feel like a jerk in either situation).

13. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I can beat that. I had a job interview scheduled about.....two weeks ago now.

I drove all the way to frikkin Snellville (about 45 minutes with no traffic 1 hour and up on a bad day/25 miles from my house) it was an east 100 degrees outside, I scheduled the day off the job I had at the time (with NO PAY) and sat there in the guy's office for two hours. He never showed. About 5 o'clock I called him and asked what was up and he said

Him: "I gave the job away yesturday."
    Me: "Then why didn't you call me and let me know? You had my number and you knew I was coming in for an interview today and that I had to miss work to do so."
    Him: "I assumed you'd figure it out when you got here."

O promptly called his supervisor. (This is a Wal Mart btw). His boss set me up with the Wally World in Hamilton Mill (20 minutes away on a bad day). I did eventually get that job. And the other guy got in worlds of trouble. Im also getting paid for the time I wasted that day. Personal check, but still. Its money.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Heck no, you're not a jerk. The other two people were HORRIBLY inconsiderate and your father hurt your kids' feelings. I hope you tell him that.

--Moony

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man, people suck. thats why i roll with the termites.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This goes to my "degree of awareness" system. Where is, a pretty nice, intelligent person sees a good amount of degrees and angles, so when they do something, they see the result of their actions and how it effects not only them but people around them. Then there are the people who see about 1-10 degrees, where basically all they see is exactly what's in front of them and how anything that IS in front of them effects themselves. That sounded like a couple of people who refuse to open their eyes a little.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shit happens, get over it.

I'm not being pissy or anything, but this kinda stuff is small fry, its really not worth getting worked up over.