WTF is with Sam's coldness towards Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by uKER, Apr 19, 2009.

1. uKER

uKER Well-Known Member

I know this is a stupid thread, but I mean... this goes beyond bad writing.

When Shiah LaBeouf acted this he should have told Bay "Look, dude, this feels totally off-character. No kid that owned an alien robot that transforms into a deluxe Camaro and helped him save the world would act up to him this way".

Him having Bumblebee and saying he needs to go to college because it's something he wants to experience is like having won the lottery and throwing the money into a river because you want to experience having a normal life.

It just doesn't make any sense!

Discuss if you like. Ignore otherwise.

2. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

i understand what you're saying, but i think its not about the whole "having normal life" thing, i believe that sam/shia wants 'Bee to actually do something while on earth instead of just trying to protect him from (supposedly) nothing.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Something like this. I think it may be him trying to get Bumblebee away for his own good, and acting cold to try to get Bumblebee to want to leave.

4. uKER

uKER Well-Known Member

I guess what bothers me is him saying "I should be able to experience this and I can't do that with you", as if it college was a more gratifying experience than staying beside BB for him, or even keeping him for that matter, as he is literally telling him off.

Also, what is it with Mikaela not addressing Bumblebee as if she now hated him?
    Why didn't she greet BB when entering and ask him directly about his voice issues instead of just staying there looking at him with her arms behind her back?
    After all it was the two of them that were banging around in the tow truck the last time.

The writing in the whole scene is pretty weird to me.
    I wish I could believe this is a fake leaked by Bay to tick people off and he is now LMAOing at us, wherever he is, and the movie will show different dialogue.
    Notice also how Sam's jaw motion doesn't match the lines when he is seen from behind.

EDIT: I'm not bashing the movie. I'm dying for it actually.

5. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

mikaela's actions did confuzzle me:confused:  but then again, she might be anticipating something much more "important" to care at the moment. (take note of her stripping to a nice formal dress-ish thing with flowers.)

6. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:

She's prolly still all wierd about giant alien robots. Even in the first movie I don't think she entirely got over her anxiety about being around giant robots.

It could also be like her not wanting to offend BB so she asks sam instead on their own. If this is the case the scene was filmed wierd and maybe they should have staged it with her asking about that outside? It almost felt like shw was asking about a sick friend or a pet to me. Dunno but I don't think her not asking him indirectly was meant to be negative, if that makes sense.

Also I don't think its the writing but the acting and sound level and blocking used. On paper this scene prolly read like a charm but when actually directed, shot, and acted it may have come off as awkward. Also the sound level of Mikaela and Sam's voices made it sound like they were talking to everyone in the room rather than just between themselves.

7. uKER

uKER Well-Known Member

@Optimus-wave:
    Well, I reckon she'd be excited, but I hardly think that would make her:
    1. Not greet BB on arrival.
    2. Ask Sam about BB's voice instead of addressing BB directly
    3. Have that face expression when talking about BB as if she was talking about someone she hates. Kinda reminds me of her expression when she addressed Turturro in the first movie.

@Optimus_Prowl:
    About Mikaela's anxiety towards BB, I'm thinking of this remembering the whole scene in the first movie when BB's legs were blown and Mikaela was crying and refused when Lennox told her to leave. Looking back at that, it doesn't seem like it could be the same character, but maybe it's just me.

8. Zablorg

Zablorg Well-Known Member

I don't think Sam is telling BB to piss off, he's simply saying that they both need something out of their lives and the guardian thing isn't doing that for either of them. I think it's for BB's sake than more than Sam's.

9. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um...judging by the scene bumblebee's clearly done something wrong in the first place, like accidentally let off his gun.

If you pay attention, the garage door has been destroyed which is why there's a tarp over the front and in the background a house has a giant hole in the side of it. So Mikaela is probably doesn't want to get involved cause sam is angry, which explains why he makes the comment towards him playing up his injured voice box.

Also Sam is just making bumblebee leave his garage because he doesn't belong there. Bumblebee is a robot, not a car, Sam clearly cares enough not to have his friend rot in the garage, and he said Freshman's can't have cars. I think he's being mean to him to further convince the bot to leave or he's just angry his garage door is destroyed along with a neighbors house, and bumblebee almost revealed himself in the process.

10. Capovin

Capovin Well-Known Member

lets face it Megan Fox is not a great actress so I wouldn't judge much by her facial expression, and honestly I don't see bay using a lack of social etiquette to convey that Mikaela doesn't like bumblebee

11. uKER

uKER Well-Known Member

I never suggested that Bay actually tried to write it as if Mikaela now hates BB.
    I'm just telling that it looks as if so, while it shouldn't.

12. Capovin

Capovin Well-Known Member

I'd say its best not to put too much thought into it, it's just transformers after all.

13. uKER

uKER Well-Known Member

I think you're onto something with that.
    It'd all make a bit more of sense if they should be angry at BB because he was somehow responsible for the hole in the house (don't know if it's Sam's or his neighbours').
    Mikaela not talking to him could be due to BB being grounded or something.

@Capovin: I think my initial intention was complaining more than looking into it. Although now that I've found a way this weirdness could be written into the movie, I'm a happy man.

EDIT: Damn, my 'grounded' theory crumbled down when I looked at the scene again. The 'I'm so excited' song from BB doesn't go with the 'being grounded' situation. :( 

14. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    dont forget one important factor - the war is over, the autobots have won, so sam wants to get back to his normal life again

15. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

Pfft, please, any fangirl can tell you why MK's ticked at BBB.

Because she knows Sam loves him more than her. The "I'm so excited" Bumblebee played was because he's happy to get rid of the hag fag when they ride off into the sunset together. But alas the following scene plays like a dude breaking up with his clingy boyfriend.

Okay, homo jokes aside, I'm just going to call this bad writing on Mikaela's character. It seems like her token romance with Sam has been upped to 11, and we're about to get a love subplot tumor the size of a George Lucas movie to go along with our Jar-Jar twins. So bad writing all the waaayy!

16. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Yeah got the impression Sam's kinda pissed at BB for something. Potencially distruction of the house. Mikaela seem's like she doesn't wanna get stuck in the middle of it.

But also get where he's coming from. He wasn't a normal life for a while, no alien robots, no war, just him acting his age and experiencing college like ever other teenager. And in passing seems to want BB to go back to the others and have a life outside of just tailing him around everywhere.

17. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Sam's right, it's no life for Bumblebee sitting in some garage all the time like some basement dwelling shut in.

Presumably at this point Sam thinks everything is fine Decepticon-wise and just wants to get on with his life, which I don't blame him for at all.

Little does he know of the coming shit storm that will probably change his life forever. Even moreso than the first movie did.

I didn't find the scene cold at all, he even tells Bee that he loves him.

I don't feel sorry for Bumblebee either, he'll have his hands full keeping an eye on the Twins later on in the movie.

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    There will be lots of running around later and " help me BB" ..man screw you Sam you did not take me with you to collage, hes all yours Screamer"

19. Brolga01

Brolga01 Olé

I felt sorry for BB!!!:cry  I wanted to give him a pat on the shoulder, and punch sam in the face!!!!!(Note: Not shia, sam!!!!!)Im :mad 

20. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

I think the house destruction was the aftermath of Bumblebee in the teaser. Maybe he came to help with the appliance bots set off by the Allspark fragment.