WTF is this? Oversized G2 Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mark94, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, looking for a little help on this. I attended a toy show today and ran across this. I looked at it a few times and before I left I went back and picked this up. I think I paid waaay too much for it but I was intrigued because I have never seen this or heard about it before (I haven't heard about much because I've only been collecting a little over a year).

The box is marked ©1997 Hasbro International Inc. and it appears to be complete with all accessories, working voicebox, all instructions which look like they've never been unfolded, unused sticker sheet still in factory sealed bag, etc. Unfortunately the box has "Dupont" written on most of the panels but all panels are intact and box looks to be in decent shape.

Officially, what is this and how much is it worth? I'm just looking to find out if I got taken, paid a fair price or got a deal.

I know the KO Oversized Bruticus goes for A LOT of money so I picked this up thinking maybe it would be a good investment.

Also, when I got home, I inspected all the paperwork closely and I noticed an unused Star Saber sticker sheet still in factory sealed bag along with a chrome sword (MINT) and a red airplane looking thing. I think the red airplane looking thing and the chrome sword click together and are part of Star Saber (I know nothing of the Japanese "Sabers".

How much are the Star Saber stickers, sword/plane thing worth? Maybe I can sell these things to make some of money back on the Oversized Prime.

Pictures are below and any help is appreciated!
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Not to be condescending but investing in toys is a huge mistake. Especially KO's.

With that out of the way, I've seen this a few times. It's rare and very cool IMO. you got me on the Starsaber part though.

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I have no clue. But that box is just screaming "KO Inside".

4. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The sword is and I believe the red nosecone are part of Star Saber.

Do you have any comparison pics to a regular G1 Prime mold? It looks like that white korean KO that has been shown a few times.

5. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

I totally understand and I may have gotten taken but with knowing how much the Oversized Bruticus KO goes for, I figured I would give it a shot and pay stupid money for it.

The only thing I can find online (limited amount of info on it) is that is rare and even though it is marked as an official Hasbro product that it is generally regarded as a KO.

6. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

I think that is it. It's marked "made in Korea"

It's about three times the size of G1 Prime. Here is a pic with my G1 Prime

Attached Files:

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    You can probally get 30-40 back for the starsaber blade and hilt.

8. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I have seen this go for around $100-$150 on ebay. It's a nice piece but would be a lot better in regular colors IMO. The starsaber parts are a definate plus. Nice find

9. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    from what ive seen and heard of the Prime its not a KO just a really rare variant after all it does have real Autobot stickers and the Autobot symbol on the voicebox

the Star Saber stuf id say about 50 for the sword maybe 30 for the stickers that is if there real and complete unused

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is really cool. Agreed with Megamus...great buy!

11. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I would probably shell out 100$ for this thing. I did have my eye on it at one time and almost paid that much. It woul be a cool piece to own and something fun to play with.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Great find, looks like a nice addition to your collection. I've seen some over sized Prime KOs before, I think they're cool.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, thats the Korean G2 Prime. They're generally poorly made. Mine doesn't really snap together in Alternate mode, which is why mine only cost $45. They usually go pretty high on ebay in good condition.

How much did you pay for him?

14. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yep, that's the Korean G2 Optimus Prime. Got one myself.

I think the story goes something like this:

Towards the end of the G2 line, Takara licensed a lot of stuff out to foreign toy makers. The results were often slightly different versions of the toys we all know and love. I would call this an officially licensed KO, if that makes any sense.

Or I could be totally wrong!

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yep it is technically not a KO as Takara signed off on it.

16. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Nice find man.

17. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

When I was in the market for one, it was going for 250+, I was outbidded at about 230. so its worth or was worth in that range, does not show up very often, and yes it is 100% licenced and legit. just...differnt ;-)

18. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, how long ago was that?

Thanks for the help everyone! At least I feel a little better knowing that it was officially licensed because of how much I paid.

It's a pretty cool piece, I agree that it would have been nicer if it were in G1 Prime's colors but it's different and I like the gold chrome. The thing is so tight and looks like it has never been played with. Everything snaps into place and is so tight it's hard to unsnap. The transformation is difficult because the legs and arms are tight too. I transformed it once for the pictures and then put it back in the box because I don't want to break it transforming it.

19. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Very nice find.

This is one of the most famous oversized TFs around. You guys not knowing about this make me feel OLD! :lol 

20. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Nice find man, I passed on one last year from the guy i got my over-sized G2 Bruticus from. Can't remember what he asked, it would have been a good deal, but I'm not that into Prime.

This is a good site for Korean KO's, it does list your Prime as a KO though, which as has been said is incorrect.

SKORBIA-Crazysteve's South Korean Bootleg Information Archive