WTF is it with game prices!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, May 18, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok part of my rant is:

1) I'm originally from Manchester, I move to South Yorkshire due to my work and instead of video games being available to me at decent prices they are actually the most expensive prices I have ever seen for games.

Want the new WWE: Legends of Wrestlemania game, £39.99 in the South Yorkshire Game store, £27.99 in the one in Manchester - WTF!!

2) I've been getting into some Marvel stuff recently and wanted to try out Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on the Xbox 360, a game that is approaching 3 years since its release and how much is it everywhere including the internet £29.99+ WTF!!!

I have no idea how game prices can fluctuate so much, especially considering one is in a uber busy city (Manchester) and my current home is just a standard run of the mill town. Also what the fuck is it, every time I get an urge to play something older than 12 months it costs more than when it was released.

The reasoning on why game prices are the way they are is something I've never understood, so for my own sanity if someone has any info concerning why it is the way it is please share, then I may be able to accept the bullshit prices.

Now i'm gonna sulk in the corner :cry 

2. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

I get ya man! I live in ireland and teh prices used to be insane! though this year i have noticed a great difference,like for a new game it used to cost ya almost 60 euro or more, now 90% of new games are 45 euro which is much better

though i dont understand some pricing... was lookin for lego star wars the other day and lego batman the most recent was 25euro new but indiana jones was 40euro PREOWNED!!!

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Oh hay, you're just down the road from me. Wowsers.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yah i'm not far from ya :) 

I have only got myself to Sheffield's meadow hall shopping centre once, i'll have to hope games are cheaper in there. Saying that i'm gonna have to go there to see ROTF as there are no cinema's close to me at all. I think cinema's in Rotherham/Wath have been outlawed :( 

Am I doomed to sticking to online game purchasing forever?

5. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

online is teh lazy mans way :D  though ya would wanna buy it before ya wanted to play it so that ya dont gotta wait :s

i buy all mine on whim lol, head into town and am like "i aint leaving till i buy soemthing" and come back with new games

over 55 games making 55,000 attainable gamerpoints and a gamerscore of only 21 thousand shows how much i dont play them all ha

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yeah I have 28 games but i'm never gonna get 1000 gamerscore from each, but its not gonna stop me trying :D 

Maybe I should ask does anyone know of any great online stores with good prices as Amazon and play.com are really letting me down these days?

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Honestly, mate, I use ShopTo.net: Video Games, Consoles Games, Accessories - Free Delivery in Uk - Orders before 5.30pm dispatched Same Day - religiously. Cheap and you pretty much get every game 2-3 days before the street date.

Getting things from shops is folly unless it's a super impulse priced bargain.

And we should figure out a RotF screening for us losers up north ;) 

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Awesome thanks for the link, wow they do indeed have some great prices even Marvel Ultimate Alliance is £5 cheaper than anywhere else.

And totally agree on the screening...maybe with booze as it is the perfect combination :tongue: 

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd honestly be more tempted to just buy them online if I was in your shoes. as for the differing prices I cant say why it would be that way but I have ran into something like that before. I guess they just see how competitive the market is and price accordingly

10. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

You think that's bad, come to the colony that is Canada. (We are still a colony aren't we?) A month or so ago I found a Game Boy Advance game in a discount bin at Zellers. (Drill Dozer) I figured I'd try it out, but there was no sticker on it, so I get it price checked. 39.99$ CND, it's the same fricken prices as it was behind the glass dispay case and it's in a DISCOUNT bin. Where's the Discount? Stupid f***s.

Hmmm, I wonder if it's still there? Maybe they'll give me an actual discount if I complain if I find it again?

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Word. Spider-Man Web of Shadows still retails for $69.99... but I see it new at other stores for $29. I hates Canadia sometimes.

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Try NHL 08 (yes 08, not 09) for $49.99 at the local Walmart. Uncharted is still $59.99... why won't you drop in price??? Why???

13. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My local Wal*Mart still has Super Smash Bros. Melee for like $40 or $50 Canadian on the GameCube. The game came out in 2001.

And I've had that happen before. I found Battalion Wars Wii in the $19.89 bin and went to the register, it rung up $39.99 or $49.99, I explained I got it in the bin, they said that another customer must have just dropped it in there or something, despite the fact that a console game for that price is usually in the glass cabnets, and those can only get opened by Staff. Not only that, there was atleast 8 other copies of Battalion Wars Wii in the same bin. I'm not going to complain though, I've found decent games in those bins for $0.98(yes, 98 cents).

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It sounds like it would be cheaper to order it from the States and have it shipped.

Sucks for y'all on the other side of the big pond. You've been the whipping boys of the video game market for ages. When I worked in the toy store, a least 80% of the steering wheels we sold went to Britain where they were retailing for triple the price. It sounds like someone could make a small fortune by finding out which games are actually region free and underselling the competition.

15. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

a psp game that cost forty bucks. FF tactics. 1 week later i find in the same store. for 20... "brand f*cking new" ... NSMB is 3 years old and the sunafab!tch is still 35 bucks. pokemon emerald went from 24.99 to bloody $39.99 at gamestop!!! what the f*ck for!? i still get it for 25 at toys r us. why the f*ck shuold i pay more?! is a hot 19 year old japanese school girl gonna polish my knob? no? then MAKE THE GAME CHEAPER!!!!!11!!!!!

16. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I refuse to pay $60 for uncharted. Loved the demo and wanna play it but it should be a greatest hit by now, even Metal gear's down to $50

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah i dont get GH games...seems like some become GH months later while others takes years.

maybe Uncharted having hit the amount needed to be considered a GH game.

18. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I'm going to have to use this argument next time I go shopping. :lol 

19. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Problem is you went to Zellers. I still remember in the late 90's, finding a Super Nintendo game there, the only one there, and still at it's original price. Not my favorite place to go.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360 is now officially the rarest and most over priced game on the internet. Anyone fancy selling me their copy? :( 

Edit: Amazon.com lists it at $20, thats like £15. Fuck might just buy it from there and even if shipping is like £10 its still cheaper than the UK. I think Marvel Ultiamte Allaince is one of them region free 360 games, i'll have to look it up.