WTF?! Hasbro Toy Shop still has CS Reissue Astrotrain?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by M-Prime, Apr 18, 2006.

1. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

Back in December, the fandom was making this huge stink (maybe it was just a minor stink, but a stink was raised nonetheless) about the availability (or lack thereof) of the Commemorative Series Reissue Astrotrain, which was supposedly limited to a run of 3,000 pieces.

I just visited Hasbro Toy Shop, and they still have stock of this item apparently! So was the deal about there only being 3,000 of them BS, or was there just not enough interest stateside for this reissue, because everyone who wanted one got the Takara TFC reissue?

Plus, I just wanted to make sure you all knew about this in case any of y'all need to get this piece for your collection. I already got one in December, cuz I freaked out when I heard they were ultra limited and bought one before Christmas.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

A few dozen (or at the very most, a few hundred) noisy fanboys does not an instant success make, and here you have the living proof. 3,000 is still a pretty substantial amount of toys, and we shouldn't be surprised if they hang around for quite a bit longer before they sell out.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, you have to take into account the fact that half of the fandom probably had already bought the TFC reissue from Japan. I know I already did, because Hasbro was saying something about not reissueing him so I didn't want to wait and see if they would or not. I'm sure alot of people that actually wanted the reissue had him already all things considering.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

There are also some limitations in ordering from HTS - my mailing address is a PO box, and even if I tried using my street address to mail a package, with standard shipping my delivery was cancelled because they use USPS for standard shipping, who would try to forward it to my PO Box... and so I think you get the idea. It's the single reason I have never ordered from them, though I probably could have used a friend's or relative addy instead (just didn't feel like it).

More importantly, HTS doesn't ship outside the US, and plenty of Canadian fans without the Japanese versions were/are screwed without someone being the middleman. I tried, but the above problem came up, so... yeah.

5. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    I've been checking every month now since they were released on Hasbrotoyshop.com, and was wondering the SAME damn thing. I know Pimpimus and myself rushed to get them ordered. Great Marketing on Hasbro's part.
    :tongue: 

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes you wonder if it was really limited to only 3000. Who said that anyway?

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    http://www.transformersclub.com/

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If Hasbro would have released the G1 American purple/black deco, instead of the Japanese black/white I already had, I'd have bought one.

Then again, I have the e-Hobby anime accurate deco, which is all one really needs.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That'll teach them to not ship outside the US.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Wanna bet? ;) 

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This should teach a valuable lesson about the price points of these reissues. That is if any store ever carries them again.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    KB toys got Sideswipe and he's less than $15 in most places. Yet, he still warms thier shelf.

SS and AT are proof that the fandom does not carry as much weight as it thinks when it comes to toy purchases. Hasbro is justified in killing the line. Even though I'd like to see it fired up again.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If all they can do is repeat, and neuter Takara reissues done years ago and already in my closet, I'd say they did the right thing by killing the Commemoratives.

But look at the aftermarket prices of the TFCs. Soundwave $100? Minibot set $60? There is a small customer base willing to pay high prices for reissues. Mass releases aren't the answer, but I don't know what is.

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Maybe if they had released it a lot sooner it would have sold out...instead they waited until everyone had been told the series was cancelled...and as has been said ran out and bought the Takara one (I did!). By the time they offered it, very few people cared. I would have rather one of the unreleased Universe figures had popped up there instead. They would have gotten my $$$ that way...

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    *wants*

16. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Its a simple issue of peoples mouths being bigger than their wallets.

Its sad when SS hung around KB for months even at like 12 bucks.

People clamored for these figs...to the point of people paying 70+ for TFC SS on ebay, then they mass release astrotrain and it just sits.

Honestly I think its a good thing that hasbro doesnt listen to every "if they sold this, or colored/named x toy like I wanted, it would have sold a buhmillion toys!" post

They would be bankrupt if they listened to the fandom.

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I think this is a case where Takara needs to look beyond Japan's market. They'd make a killing if they released another production run of the really expensive ones to import stores in other countries.

Of course I'm biased in that I think it's asinine that I can't get a Soundwave, Starscream, Minibots, etc... without paying through my fucking nose. There's a big market out there with people just like me who for one reason or another just couldn't get them the first time around.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    They're doing it for MP-01. Making another run so they can cash in on some of the after-market skyrocketing. If this is the start of a trend by Takara/Tomy, we may very well see new runs of the hottest selling ones.

19. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

It depends on if this is only due to the aftermarket in Japan.

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know if we can use the re-release of MP-01 to speculate, since that's Convoy, and we know how batshit insane they go for Convoy over there.

I wish they had released Astrotrain sooner, I'd already gotten the TFC version by the time they did. I would have bought Hasbro's to open and could have left my TFC sealed like I like 'em. Same with Sideswipe. Already had two TFCs (open and sealed) but I got the Hasbro anyway for a kitbash.

If they want to keep doing G1 reissues, that's great... but let's see either:
    a) current TFCs (semi-simultanious releases)
    b) the rare/expensive figures (Soundwave, minibots, etc) or
    c) new figures (Artfire, anyone else that hasn't been reissues yet).