Minor/Repaint: WSTF Tapout, a test

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SkyQuake, Nov 23, 2006.

1. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Hello All,

I decided to create my own Worlds Smallest Transformer using a knock-off Kabaiya model kit that I purchased from Might Gaine (Thanks). Actually, I bought several, but I wanted to try an easier one first. Thus, I used the Cliffjumper mold, only I decided to turn him into WSTF Tapout (a convention exclusive) since I don't own the regular sized figure. Also, the plastic was already light green, so I got some metal flake green to more resemble Tapout. While definately not perfect, I'm still pleased with my work for the amount of time that I've had. The paint looks more uniform in person. I guess the camera flash brings out some of the brighter spots too much.

Also, I am very glad that I held onto the WSTF extra Bumblebee stickers from Reprolables. It had a Cliffjumper rear head sticker that fit perfectly.

Tapout doesn't stand very well on his own, but he wouldn't be the first TF that had to be proped up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Looks good,I thought about getting some of the minibot kabaya but wasn't sure how they look with WSTF.

3. adi

adi Member

looks great are you doing any more of the mini's

4. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Thanks for both comments! I intend to do more minis. It's a bit difficult to keep one's hand straight for some of the work. I think I'd be better served getting a smaller brush.

5. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Man, very nice detailed paint job!... Must be hard on the eyes, lol!

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty cool!

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah that's pretty cool man. I need to get some of those, I've been lusting for many of them for quite some time now :( 

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I'd recommend Tripticon or Scorpinok.

BTW:SkyQuake what type of paint and primer did you use?
    I've had trouble with paint and primer flaking off my kabaya models.

9. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I used Model Master Acrylic paint for the gunship gray appendages, black tires, and silver for the head panel, and face. The silver did come off on the side a bit when I handled it (had to repaint that).

Unable to find any acrylic Model Master paint in the appropriate green, I used Testor's metal flake green enamel.

The Arcrylic paints tend to come off easier, although they are easier to apply than enamel, and tends to stay where I put it better when wet.

I've been pondering buying some clear enamel nail polish to see if it would seal the paint better, but I'm affraid of eventual flaking of the clear coat. How long does it take for that to happen?

10. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Don't know about the clear coat.

But the primer was flaking ten mins after applied,even gave one part a few days to dry and it still came off,the sides even feel off on their own.

I tryed mixing the acrylic paint with Future floor wax and it seems to be holding well.

11. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

It could be that they use silicon to release the plastic from the mold, and didn't completely wash it off. Silicon, and paint (particularly water based) do not mix well at all, and will cause paint to not adhere. Maybe a good cleaning with a bottle of alcohol, and a cue tip before painting would help. So far nothing appears to be flaking on mine, but I haven't handled it. I think I'll get some lacquer, and coat it with that. Most models do well for durability with a protective clear coat.

I've never heard about mixing Future floor wax, and acrylic paint. What does that do?

12. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Well depending on how much paint you add to the mix it'll make a color top coat,and the FFW seems to hold better and protects against some chipping.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

As for cleaning the parts,I did,but still the paint came off.
    The Primer is a enamel type paint.