WST Snarl

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by REDLINE, Mar 3, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I got two of this bad boy in today. I wanted two cause you have to cut the robot points off the box so that you'll be able to get the 5th and final dinobot WST when the time comes... who will also come with everyone's rocket launchers! I have photographed the AWESOME poster that comes packed in with this figure... it has all 6 constructicons fighting all 5 dinobots.... and they're quite handily getting their asses kicked! If you want to see the photographs, I have a thread of High-Res pictures in the Toyark.

LINK TO PHOTOGRAPHS

Opening up the box, WST Snarl is packaged just like the other WSTs are, in a nice plastic tray, with another tray over him to hold everything in place. I heard several people say when they opened their trays, the lil robot arms flew out, but I had no trouble at all,the top tray slide right off easily, and nothing moved from its spot. First thing you're going to notice when you slide the tray open is just how BEAUTIFUL the gold chrome is!! Simply breathtaking. I promptly spent about 40 minutes applying his stickers (**Word to note: READ the warning on the stickersheet, you can see this in my photograph thread), making sure I had them all lined up properly, and also tracing each cut on the sheet with a sharp knife to ensure proper separation and avoid any tearing.

Its amazing what the stickers do for the toy.. he's very nicely detailed, and almost all the molded-on ones are there! Comparing him to my original, I didn't find very many differences, the only stickers I am aware are missing are the big ones that go on the front of the dinobody where you move the front legs in transforming him to robot. His arms are very stiff, and so is his head, and the spikes of his back too... the only thing on him that was loose that I didn't care for are one of his two tail "wings" its actually floppy, and my original's are not. That being said, that obviously doesn't hurt his posability at all, though as in most G1s, he doesn't have a terrible lot of it: Rotate shoulders, bend knees, waist, and most hip swivels... that's it... no elbows, no rotation on the head, you can't move his arms or legs side to side.

He fits in PERFECTLY with the WST line, he's about the same height as my Ultra Magnus with the custom transforming trailer armor on. On the box, one side has three sets of comparison shots that really show this off, three pics from the cartoon, and three of the toy. One is his head, one is his dino-head, and the third one is him next to Jazz in both the show, and the WST, they're dead-on!

In summation, if you don't already have this figure, or are on the fence, AT ALL... GET it! These probably won't be available for all that long, and at $15 USD each, that's a great price, you're getting every penny!!

:thumb  :thumb  (or 5 stars outta 5; A+)

-Andy

2. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Justitoys did an outstanding job with the WST Snarl...I REALLY can't wait for the other 4 dinos, & just hope they keep going with the line...

I did Freak myself out a bit....While transforming Snarl for the first time I was trying to seperate the front halves to form the legs....& I pressed a little too hard on one of the scales & it "broke" off. While picking up the scale, I knocked the figure on the table & the gold chrome part of the left rear leg fell off....I was like "NOOOOOO" 4 freaking minutes & i've already broken it....

Lucky for me, unlike the Real G1 Snarl, WST Snarl's scales CAN come off & they aren't broken....& I looked at the leg, & just slid it back on...boy did I overreact on that one...

3. REDLINE

News Credits:
    :lol  they call those "Spaz-attacks"

Andy

4. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

LOVE the toy, it's great, it's fun, and it's pretty much G1 Snarl, just little.

But those stickers nearly gave me a nervous break down. My sausage-like fingers shredded more than a few of them, and half the Autobot sticker from the dino head fell off and is now nowhere to be found.

5. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I got him yesterday and finally got a chance to play with him. It's remarkable how close the transformation is to the G1 version. The poster was a nice bonus. The instruction booklet was a nice throwback as well. The only bad part is he seems really delicate but I guess if you take your time it should beOK. I'm going to leave the stickers off since I'll probably mess them up. I can't wait for his teammates to show up as well.

Do you think they'll have the rest by the end of the year?

6. mocrzy

mocrzy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt we'll see all five out by the end of the year...my guess is should see at least Slag by the end of the year....but I think 2 might be pushing it....this little masterpiece of miniaturization took a long time to come out....I'd bet we might see one a year........if we even see all 5 at all ( no knock at all to Justitoys...just can't rule out the possibility that they won't be profitable enough businesswise to keep going through all 5 molds, and may stop short of releasing them all...please prove me wrong Justitoys)

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Got mine today and applied all the stickers though lots of trimming was involved... BEST WST EVER!!!:rock 

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday and just barely had a chance to open it up.

BEST TRANSFORMER PURCHASE IN THE PAST YEAR

LOVE the little guy. The blue eyes are awesome, and though the blue visor in robot mode looks a little weird I got used to it quickly. The transformation is near-identical to the original G1 version, except for the springs in the forearms (and thank god there wasn't a way to do that, can you imagine the headache if you had to take it apart?)

The only gripe is the sticker sheet was anabsolute BITCH to deal with, three of my stickers tore apart and most of them have jagged edges even with a little extra scoring with an exatco knife, but thats to be expected with such tiny materials. There's really nothing else bad I can say about it, spectacular toy all around. I cannot wait for the other four dinos to be released.

Maybe it's just my bias toward the G1 Dinobots being my most beloved Transformers ever but Snarl is by far one of the best toys I've bought since I got back into collecting transformers. Simply amazing.

Easily an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

***Edit: Oh yeah and the poster Snarl came with is most likely going to be framed and put on my wall***

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    mine came in yesterday and I was very impressed. for a small figure, the attention to detail is great. I'm not even going to attemt putting the stickers on, though. I do hope they will be able to put out all five, I can't wait to see the rest of these guys. my only gripe is the proto pics had a red sword, and he came with a grey sword. It still doesn't detract from this great piece, I just wish they kept it red.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i cant wait for grimlock. if he's as good as this guy, that'll be awesome.

i did however have one problem, i ordered 2, and it even said "2 toys" on the box, but there was only 1 inside. i guess i'm gonna have to send out some emails.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think this thing looks absolute delish, but i'll have to pass on it and be content with my g1 version. just too many backlogged stuff on my to buy list :( 

12. REDLINE

News Credits:

if you look at his box, the side with the "comparison to show" pictures, it shows his sword on the cartoon was grey, which is what they were going for, cartoon accuracy (same reason for the blue eyes) so that's why his sword was changed from red to grey... I on one hand would've liked it toy accurate and red, but it being show accurate doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Has anyone managed to come up with a GOOD way to get all the damned fold creases outta the poster yet? its too big to put in a book :p 

That sucks... you're gonna really wish you'd gotten him when you look back! :( 

Smanger, I'd be pretty T'd off!

Andy

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I got mine in the mail. Damn, he's more than anybody could have hoped for. He absolutly DESTROYS the official WST in terms of solid feel, material quality, details, and little "extras" (stickers etc). I can't belive an unlicensed product is this good. Bring on a dozen new sculpts, I'll buy 'em all!

One thing... He's in scale with the WSTs...but he's not really WST size. He's more "mini" size (think the orriginal G1 Bumblebee). Kinda like how Fort Max is in scale with the WSTs but is definatly not a WST himself. :) 

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    All I can say is wow. I have always avoided KO’s both out of principle and because most KO’s are really bad anyway, but this guy is defiantly the exception to the rule. For me this toy really represents what the WST line COULD have been. Not that I don’t like the WST line its just the amount of detail that went into this toy is just astounding. What makes it so awesome is the fact that it really is a shrunk down version of the original, almost like they took the original and used a machine and shrunk it down in size. The die cast that they used contributes to this feeling as well, and is just such a nice feature. The detailing on this fig is nothing short of amazing, it looks and feels exactly like the original Snarl right down to the very last. Both his Dino and Robot modes are great. Not to mention as well the box this guy comes in is great as well and the poster they include is a great bonus as well.

A few downsides thought. One is I did find him a bit loose and does flop around, although if its just sitting on a desk or shelve its just fine, but to pick up and play with is a bit hard to do and not really recommended. I also found you do have to be careful as I found his Dino plating did pop off wile Tfing him so you do have to take care of him.

Overall this toy is great. Again I feel that this is really a representation of what the WST line could have been. Quality wise, though not a licensed TF product is top notch. Though I found him a little loose and delicate he is pretty solid with the proper care and handling. At any rate I highly recommend this toy, KO or not this guy rocks and I cant wait for more.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got this guy today and he's definitely my favorite "WST" that I have despite him not being official. The quality is far superior to my other WST's and the die-cast is an awesome addition. Love the detail and the chrome is beautiful. Can't wait for the other dinobots to come out!:rock 

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    This is getting off-topic, but this statement's really only true for RiD Fort Max (Brave Max), as is demonstrated by the episodes where Scourge is inside him. Fairly comparable scale to Spychanger Scourge.

G1 Fort Max wasn't anywhere near so much bigger than his companions.