WST Rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by Gojira Prime, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Enjoy me getting ludicrously angry at overpriced 3-inch toys. WARNING: Contains excessive shouting and a Velociraptor impression.

YouTube - WST Rant

EDIT: OK, it's clear you're not paying attention to the conversation below, so I'll clear it up here: this is NOT meant to be taken seriously. Think James Rolfe's "You Know What's Bullsh*t"

I never thought toy collectors could be this serious about thier hobby.

THE WHOLE STORY: I've been stressed out about filming a music video for my broadcasting class at school, and I figured I would vent my frustration on something unrealted and hopefully entertain at the same time. When I finished recording and listened to the playback, I was laughing my ass off as I hadn't realized just how angry I had gotten. Sorry if the effect was lost on people.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    convoy is 2 1/4 inches tall. not 3.

You should have jumped on them sooner. I got soundwave, bumblebee, megatron, wave 2 convoy, sideswipe, red alert, prowl, starscream, and thrust for $60. then later I got jazz for $15.

as things get older, their price goes up. it makes sense. more obscure things go up in price faster.

and about the screaming: really inconsiderate to viewers.

TF source isnt a "secondary market" either. and they usually have lower prices than BBTS, who you said they're more expensive than.

16 too much for a WST Dinbobot? a dollar over original price is too much, after they came out a few years ago? really?

your whole video seems to be just you screaming about you not understanding the way collectibles work.

3. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Details, details.

4. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

you can get a grimlock/ slag for 9/8 dollars shipped on ebay right now thats a pretty good deal i also got my prime/megatron(with blue details) for 10 bucks shipped. you gotta look around.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    By your logic, since G1 Spike is only about 2 inches tall, he should sell for like a dollar, right?

Price has to do with supply and demand, not size of the figure. Look how small a Porsche 911 is compared to a Chevy Suburban, but it costs twice as much. Your rant makes you sound immature.

6. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I hear ya. Look at the impossible to find japanese headmaster Shuffler!!! HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS and it's SMALLER THAN 3 INCHES TALL!!!!!!!!!! Go tell it brother!!!!

7. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Wow, collectors sure take things seriously.

I never intended this to come out as angry as it did, but I thought maybe screaming about something rather trivial would be entertaining. I understand full well that pricing collectibles is a complex thing, the thing is, seeing prices like this on something so small AND that came out a few years ago is a pet peeve of mine, that, for reasons that are no one else's frakkin' business, got me to the level of sounding like a crappy Marylin Manson cover band.

G1 Spike didn't come out in the early 2000's, and I'm not saying that size is that size is the only thing that should matter, but it should be taken into consideration, that is, if the seller is a rational human being and not some kook trying to make a quick buck off collectors to get out of his parents' basement.

Then what is it? A store which sells things at a higher price than retail because they were bought from reatil and thus need to compensate? (Not a complaint, BTW, just a fact) Sounds like the secondary market to me.

8. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    If nothing else, you may have encouraged me to sell my WSTs. If I can get $50 for Magnus, and $200 for Skywarp, I can pay off my car if I sell them all!

9. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

But doesn't the fact that you're being a jackass to fellow collectors bother you?

10. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    How am I being a jackass? If the demand will bring that, I'm just selling for going prices. Are you gonna go to the nearest Porsche dealer and tell them they are being Jackasses for selling their cars for more than Chevy is selling the Cobalt for? Besides, I don't do buy it now on eBay. I start it at the minimum I will take, and let demand determine the price.

11. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

While it may seem like exploitation of those with compulsions to collect small pieces of plastic, an individual must be responsible for their own purchases if they want to have any hope of surviving a consumerist society.

.....Or as most people on here say; "Nobody is holding a gun to their head when they buy".

(I think the suggestion of selling to pay off a car was slightly tongue in cheek anyway)

12. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yes The Madness, it was very tongue in cheek. Even though my payoff is only about $3K, even that would be out of range of the maximum "Buy It Now" prices on eBay for each figure. What this guy doesn't understand is that these things don't sell for that. That's why they are still listed. I just did a search, and there is a Skywarp for only $99. Not bad for a chase figure, but it's still there. So they don't sell for what he is ranting that they do. Do a completed listing search for more realistic prices.

13. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Actually, if I'm correct in assuming that your analogy implies that a Porsche is essentially the same as a Cobalt, then I might. They're simply jacking up the price because of the brand name, just as an eBay seller might put words like "RARE" and "MINT" in the title to justify them charging whatever they want. But let's not get into some kind of crazy "market is corrupt" discussion.

And here's the other thing: when it comes to a hobby like this, everyone has thier own personal rules. And when they see something being sold for a price outside their established rules, they percieve it as outrageous. That was the initial mentality behind the central idea, the fact is, I wasn't trying to convey any serious ideas about what I feel is just in buying and selling collectibles, I was doing a silly little video in the vein of James Rolfe's "You Know What's Bullsh*t?"

Regardless, this whole ordeal has made me think I should do a serious video about my ideas.

Back to the original point, In my eyes, you are being a jackass because you're taking what one person did as justification for overcharging for toys. Again, this is based off of my personal collectible rules, someone else might not have a problem with you selling WSTs for upwards of 50 dollars, but I do. Tounge in cheek or not, the prinicpal stands.

True, but that doesn't mean the person doing it isn't aware of and uncaring to that possiblity.

14. The Madness

I may be a little more discriminating than many collectors, and never spend outside my means. While my perception of value on a product doesn't always match its asking price, I don't take it to be an insult, I just don't buy it and move on.

Market value (secondary) has the tendency to fluctuate also, so there may be other opportunities if I am patient. I guess it comes down to your motivation for collecting. Do you enjoy the product, or are you after something rare and exclusive with perceived value?

15. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

But I've said this about three times already. I'm not trying to dethrone the people I think are ripoffs, I just find it fun to make a mountain out of a molehill sometimes.

Really do I have to spell it out in black and white: This was not meant to be taken seriously.

"But hey, that's the downside of comedy. You're always taking shots from folks who just don't get the joke."
    -The Joker
    Batman: The Animated Series: "Mad Love."

True dat, Mr. J.

16. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I'm only a jackass if I was being serious and was really gonna sell them for that. So for you to see me as a jackass, you'd have to think I was serious, which shows you do not know what "tongue in cheek" means... :rolleyes2 

17. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I was just trying to make a point, basing it on if you were serious, which I knew the whole time you weren't. Maybe it would have been clearer if I said "Wouldn't the fact that you would be being a jackass to your fellow collectors bother you?"

You know what, I need to stop mixing comedy with serious views on subjects. It always gets me in trouble.

18. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I agree that WSTs go for a bit much I also understand why they do.
    There is a high demand for them. The chase figures are quite rare, and will bring a much higher price than the average WST.

You probably would have shat a brick if you saw how much the WST Ultra Magnus armor sold for just recently.

I picked up my OP with his trailer for $5.99 shipped (.99 for the sale and 5.00 for shipping)
    Got Thrust, Ramjet, Starscream, and Megatron for $45.00 shipped.
    You just have to look, but be prepared to spend a bit of coin if you want them all.

19. The Madness

Cool, I just figured it was laced with a genuine resentment, apologies for my misunderstanding.

On the molehill mountain:
    I tend to think over-reaction and hyperbole are more likely novel when they are ironic. Unfortunately it happens all the time in this fandom, so it rarely has the desired effect.

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's hard to tell when you're joking and when you are not. Unless you say so. Or post some of these > :lol  :)