WST question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 46+2, Mar 18, 2010.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about these toys, so how small are wst tfs? Mainly prime. And, What the hell is a chase figure?

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are small. Prime stands in at maybe 2 inches in bot mode. with a trailer, he is about 3-4 inches long.

or better yet, they make Legends look big.

as for chase figures, i am not too sure about that myself.

TFWIKI.net can help you get an idea about the scale of those WSTs.

3. rumsawatti

rumsawatti Dino-bot

well...wat jarod sed...there small...however chases are like rare ones...rare and expensive haha among da chase is soundwave, rodimus, bluestreak, ultra magnus...and more...if ur interested i may be able to hook u up wit one...hope i helped! laterz

4. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Each figure is between 1.5 and 2 inches tall. Most, probably all of them, feature some die-cast parts, like the feet on the Seeker jets, though these parts are less obvious than on the original, full-size toys. The official series name is Gashapon Transformers, as indicated by the "GTF" numbering of the figures in the series. However, World's Smallest is also an officially ackowledged term of referring to these used by Takara, I believe.

Chase Figures are rare because they were very short-packed in the assortments. Normally only a handful, or even just one or two, per master case (a master case consists of several boxes of small trading figures of this type, which come in "display boxes" with several piece in each display box). Hence, dedicated colectors will buy many of these blind-packed figures as they "chase" the rare ones.

Bluestreak, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, and Skywarp were among the Chase figures in this series, along with a trailer for Optimus Prime, which also had an animation variant color. There were also promotional pieces, like a tribute to one of the old Japanese Versus sets, VS-X I believe, which included variant versions of Optimus Prime and Megatron, however, these are not rare and were packed with magazines. There is also a rather pricy Bumblebee variant packaged on a miniature version of Bumblebee's G1 peg-hanger card packaging.

Soundwave, however, was not a chase figure or rare by any means. He was in fact one of the most common ones. The reason his cost may be higher on the secondary market is because he is a more popular character.

5. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

WSTs are more or less the size of minicons. it's also worth pointing out that there are loads of KOs/custom versions, many of which are actually better than the originals.

if you are after originals, try to them with original packaging and their little tech-spec card - they're not hard to fake but most KOers don't seem to bother. also the cheaper KOs don't generally seem to use any metal in their construction, Takara WST Seekers have metal feet for example.

the high-grade Justitoys WSTs are the spiritual successors to the line - producing figures Takara didn't, but unofficially. i've heard them referred to as semi-licensed but i think that just means hasbro haven't sued them. Their stuff is great quality and often a better likeness than the hasbro stuff. but do bare in mind that these figures are absolutely miniscule so they're not going to stand upto much rough play.

if you're not fussed about Official products check out Heerotoysmaker on ebay, he's producing a wide range of Primes, trailers and seekers in a variety of colours. i've bought loads of stuff off him and it's all been top notch. He sends them out with nice stickers and his molds are often better than the originals. (compare his OP trailer to the Takara one, it's considerably better!)

Either way, the line finished years ago - presumably forever - so if you want to get the originals there is no time like the present to start. the KO/custom figs are likely to keep coming for the foreseeable future given how popular they've proven. random thought: I wonder if Takara will reverse their decision on WSTs if Justitoys' keep selling well?

6. chugway

WST was just something the fandom made up - i think they were officially called 'smallest transforming transformers' or something weren't they?

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel like an idiot because I had to get out of bed and climb up to my Seeker shelf in my under ware at 5:30 in the morning to prove you wrong and all I can say is, "well I'll be damned, I never noticed that before." :dunce 

They're painted to look like plastic but the feet are die cast LOL
    This is true, Heero's WSTs do tend to have better engineering than the official ones. I have all of the Seekers he's done so far except the gold plated ones (the crystal set and LD version of SS are on the way :D  )

Here are some pics of WST Thrust next to the Mini version and original G1 from my blog, the WST is the smallest one BTW :D 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I believe all the WST figures have some diecast in them. Don't worry though, my pride bit me in the ass exactly the same way when I first heard someone claim they had metal pieces.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. Smallest Transforming Transformers - Transformers Wiki

Here are mine, with Reprolabels. This includes all the authentic ones, with the exception of the VS set and the carded BB, which I didn't choose to include in the photoshoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    They're one of those quirky little lines. Either you'll luv them or you'll skip them completely (the sheer size Vs $$$ argument is hard to justify). The JustiToys non-official WST's are excellent quality & IMO quite reasonably priced compared to TakTom's official releases. Me personally, They've sucked me in well & good :lol . I also own the JustiToys Dinos/Shocky/Blaster (if you didn't know it, you'd think they were official - they're that good :) ) & I'm also currently waiting on Prowl (only $6 :D ). Yeah, I'm completely hooked... :eek: 

11. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one of my favorite lines, include the KO versions of them. I need a silverstreak and a cliffjumper. here's a crappy pic i took with my phone. I also have the dinobots in there (not picture) and i have the dark retribution set which i'm glad i paid retail for. ebay has em for 250$!

also,
    those reprolabels look nice. i think i want to order some now. are they separate per wst or is it a whole set?

the devastator is a mini KO WST. shitty quality. great for display piece. after i took him out of the package. stickers fell off of him! it's best to hold your breath around him.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

WOW! They make Unicron look HUGE!
    I hope I get my share of WST's some time soon. I'd like to get my hands on the black/gold Dinobots as well, but I bet their very rare ones.

13. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

WOW! Thanks guys! I'm glad no question is too stupid! Very helpful. I'll check out that heero guy on ebay too.! Thanks all!

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have 2 Primes, and one i keep with G1 Metroplex and the other fits rather well in Unicron's hand.
    (well, it's about the scale that the animators thought reasonable for the '86 movie, LOL.)

those pics with the battery are the best way to show scale of those WSTs.

16. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

WST are one of those lines I knew I couldn't get any of because it is small enough I know I'd have to have them all and it would break me.

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What are those books your Decepticons are protecting?

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks like a variety of graphic novels, including the DMZ series, batman and son, astro city, and a number of marvel properties. Is that Red Sonja too?

19. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got hooked big time on wsts.
    I have almost all of them...missing dark retribution, silverstreak, cliffjumper, and bb.

All have reprolabels, costs about $100 to get stickers for all of the wsts.
    Course I have not bought them for my Jazz, Starscream, Devastator, and Superion. All of which arrived today.
    They actually look pretty good displayed with legends devy from ROTF as well.

I have a good number of the KOs from Heero on ebay, the quality is GREAT.
    I have Prime with trailer, Ultra Magnus with the iPod trailer, Nemesis prime with trailer, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ramjet, Dirge, and Sunstorm. Heero has really done an amazing job and shipping takes about 2-3 weeks to the US.

I got my full set of dinobots for 45 shipped :D 

20. chugway

careful man - unicron is out to get my WSTs.

that evil bastage kept dropping WST shocky and megs when he was dual wielding them, so i put them back on the shelf with the others next to the severed unicron head from the primus pack. in a fit of jealous rage unicron promptly toppled off the speaker next to them and flattened them all.

now they live far, far away from him. just in case.