WST Grimlock and Slag (JustIToys)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Cheebs, Sep 18, 2006.

1. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

WST Dinobots

Heya all! I know these are kinda old news, but I picked them up from Botcon and I'm pretty pleased with them, so much that I feel the need to share my opinions on them.

In brief, all of them are of amazing quality! They mimick their large counterparts almost to a tee, with a few exceptions of course. Grimlock's robot head being able to slide forward being a plus, and Slag and Snarl needing to plug in their robot fists being a minus. Still, I keep my Dinobots in Dino mode about 90% of the time, so it's a a small issue.

The slightly BIGGER issue however, is the quality of the stickers. They're AWFUL. Snarl's stickers are literally paper thin, and it's next-to-impossible removing them from the sheet without shredding them to pieces. GRimlock and Slag's stickers are somewhat better, but still do rip really easily. Take into the fact that the stickers are not much larger than a piece of your snot, and you have quite an exercise in frustration.

Still, this IS a small issue, and I'm confident that reprolabels will come to save the day eventually (they did make Snarl's after all)! So I definitely give these little Dinos a solid A!

And now, for a silly pic:

[​IMG]

2. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

WST Grimlock is definitely my favorite of the three WST dinobots released so far. His fists don't have to removed and now he can turn his head sideways!

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    The screws on the tail of my Grimlock became stripped so I replaced them with slightly bigger screws and also got nuts to clamp them down on the other side...

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grimlock is so badass. I love that they finally built in the fists so you don't lose them. One of Grimmy's arms in dino-mode came loose but otherwise he is nice and tight and everything locks into place well. No problems here fitting his chest in robot mode, just need to make sure it's lined up right with the head-tab. The sliding head rocks. Splitting his tail halves in transformation is a major pain and I had to pry them apart with the dull side of a knife.

Slag is cool and I like the anime colors. The fists could stand to fit in a little tighter. Also the fists can go inside his chest cavity during Dino-mode. Legs in bot mode are super-loose at the hips, but otherwise a great micro-rendition of the original mold.

5. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Just got Grimlock today, and he is amazing. The gold chrome near his robot head (in bot mode) is a bit "textured" where it was meant to be smooth. I just love him. Will order another one, and I will be replacing these tail swivel screws. Awesome job "Just Toys" !!

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Yeah, Grimlock is even better than the real one imo.

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I picked up Grimlock at the TransformersCon - and he's swee-eet!

The only problem I had was in getting the tail pieces to separate for the first time - I had to spend ages prying open a wide enough slit to fit the cardboard from the Protoform Prime package to split the tail in two.

Aside from that, I have to say - he Grimlock badass!

Gary

8. Overdrive

Overdrive Active Member

I just got into purchasing these guys, and frankly I'm dissapointed with the quality of the "Commander" and "Flamethrower" figures. The joints are loose, they have poor mold quality (seams not fitting together), and the paint apps. on the eyes are way off. However, I got in "Jungle Warrior" and "Bombardier" and they are frickin' great-tight joints, good molds and paint apps.! It's like night and day...and I got them all sealed, but not from the same place (the former from an ebay purchase, and the latter from TFSOURCE- they rule). I wonder if I got those ko's people have been talkin' about...whatever, though. Also, I opted to wait on getting "Desert Warrior" due to some saying that the quality was less than expected... is this true?

9. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    ^ I'd wager that the Grimlock and Slag you got off ebay are KOs. Those are the only two WST Dinobots that have been KO and most sellers on ebay are selling the KO versions. You can usually tell because they have them at BIN for less than $10.

I bought a KO Grimlock on ebay and later bought the real deal. They were pretty close in quality but the real one has tighter joints and you can tell that it is a little heavier. It is unfortunate that you got a shoddy one though.

I'd also stay away from Snarl. The real one has a very loose waist that will not clip in. I had all 5 but sold them over the holidays. My favorite were Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge.