WST Grimlock and Slag (JustIToys)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Cheebs, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just got these two in the mail. Thus, I now present to you my review in full.

*ahem*

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

*reviewer's notes - the above review is given while running around in circles and flailing arms randomly. In between paragraphs, the reviewer smacked face-first into a telephone pole, got up, and continued to run in circles while flailing arms for the remainder of the review.

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    For those of you who want more, both figs are more of the same if you have Snarl. If you don't know about Snarl, let me say both figs are startling miniature replicas of the G1 originals with improved color details, metal, and shiny chrome.

As before, the stickers seem questionable. They do look a little better, but the cutting is off-center, so I will wait for Reprolables to do it right.

Grimlock's head now slides forward for better positioning in 'bot mode, a definate improvement over the G1 original. Aside from colors, that was the only change I could find.

Slag now has chromed horns and fists that require removal for transformation. As an awesome bonus, the fists fit perfectly in his chest compartment for storage in dino mode.

Both figs look awesome even without stickers.

Both figs come with chromed silver swords instead of flat red.

Both figs come with a thick bio card with the Dinos Vs Devastator pic instead of the large Dinos Vs Devastator poster in the Snarl package.

Like Snarl, these figs are the size of the LOC figs or the G1 minibots. They are significantly larger than Minicons and official WSTs....but then the Dinobots have always been bigger than the rest, so they end up in-scale with the official WSTs for display.

Like Snarl, the quality of the plastic, metal, chrome, sculpting, construction, and paint will leave you stunned. It's as good or better than mainline HasTak stuff.

3. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Cool, I look forward to getting mine in the mail. Pics?

~X

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A bit more on Grimlock:

Good - The 'bot head can swivel! Awesome. :) 

Bad - The motion of rotating the silver tips of the tail for transformation gradually works the screws loose... Boo (not too bad tho').

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Soooo.... they suck then?

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
  7. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    WST Dinorobots Commander and Flamethrower

Or 'Grim-lock' and 'Sllag' or just WST Grimlock and Slag. Got mine today courtesy of Tfsource (Thanks, Curt!) and since no one has posted anything yet, I figured I would (missed Cheebs' thread here when I originally posted this). It's not going to be too much, though (or I didn't think so when I started, but I ramble).

First off, Slag. As everyone knows from the previous pics before release his robot mode face was changed to red to match his cartoon appearance. The color of his legs was also changed to match his 'toon appearance, going from black to white. Like Snarl before him, he has fists that you need to plug into his robot mode, instead of sliding them out like the original toy. He otherwise transforms identically to the original. You tell which side is up on the fists by finding the side with the bigger hole. This leads to his second shortfall (aside from the detached fists), the sword and gun only plug in to about half-way through the fists. On the upside are the chromed Triceratops horns (which were red plastic on the original toy). Not only do they look great, but they are fairly stiff. So once you adjust them to a good position, they aren't likely to move. Overall, very nice, only the fists keep it from being perfect.

And now, Grimlock. He is a badass from the moment you take him out of the plastic tray, being heavier than any other WST. He really feels like he has some weight. Unfortunately, there are both upsides and downsides to him. The first upside is that if you had the original toy, his transformation is identical to that. The second is actually a minor exception to the first. In the original, the robot mode head sat pretty far back on top of his torso. That's just how they had to deal with internal spatial requirements. The WST version has a slot that you slide the robot head forward on so it sits in line with his shoulders. A very nice touch. There are two downsides, however, both having to do with the transformation. First, getting the robot mode chest into position isn't as perfectly simple as it was on the original toy. You can note that they didn't manage to get Grim's chest in place in the promo shots for the toy:
    http://www.tfsource.com/Reissues/WST%20%20Grim-lock/wst-grim-lock.htm
    It's not too bad, however. What is truly horrible is seperating the tail halves. In the original toy there were two tabs that you could use to easily pull them apart. The tabs are present on this, but they don't do squat for pulling the tail apart. After completely destroying the chrome on those tabs, I moved on to prying them apart by inserting my thumbnail inbetween the very ends of the tail. This eventually did the trick, but it took awhile. I'm going to sand down the tab that holds that thing together (now that it's seperated) so that I won't have to go through that again. Again, overall, very nice, since it shouldn't be too hard to fix the really bad problem with this toy, the pros balance out the cons, making this a nice piece for anyone who likes the original dinobots.

With that weight Grimlock makes a good paperweight. "Me Grimlock no paperweight, me King!"

BTW, the silhouette on Grimlock's box makes Sludge the next release, thereby making Swoop the mail-away mystery Dinobot. Sludge will probably have plug-in fists too, but I'm hoping they can make changes to Swoop to make him a little more durable than his original toy (and of course, get the 'toon coloring).

EDIT: Many thanks to the Mod who moved this post rather than deleting like I had short-sightedly requested (not naming names unless he says he doesn't mind). I also edited things at the start so the post isn't too out-of-place.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My feedback will be brief:

THESE ALONG WITH SNARL ARE THE BEST TF PURCHASES I'VE MADE THIS YEAR.

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not. Sludge's arms transformed by bending the forearms inward underneath the dino underbelly. They don't slide in like Snarl and Slag's do, so it shouldn't be a problem at this scale.

10. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good reminder for those who didn't have him, but since Sludge was my first dinobot I still remember exactly how he transforms.

If it was just the forearms bending inward, then, yeah, I wouldn't see a problem. However, with Sludge, it was also his fists folding out from inside the forearms. I think there will be an engineering problem there. So far these guys have used pegs and holes, screws, and hinges. Plastic pegs like those that were used on the original would be too weak at that size and could be easily broken. A metal pin through the whole fist would do the job, but I'm not sure how you could make the pin stay in place without much surface area for cross-hatchings to 'bite' into. Supergluing it in place would also eventually wear away (except for one superglue that I know of, but I doubt they would import it just for this). They could also try melting the surrounding plastic onto the rod or vice-versa, but with the amount of precision needed to do it right, they run too high a chance that there's going to be too many screw-ups to get enough quality product out the door. Also, I'm postulating all this stuff about a metal pin, but they haven't used any in the other WST Dinobots, so I don't know if that's even something that they can consider for these (whatever the reason behind that may be).

Taking into consideration all that I noted above, my thoughts in the matter had been that they would avoid going through costly experiments.

That's why I thought they would just avoid the problem and use plug-in fists, like they've already done to get around the two previous engineering problems.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. I've never actually owned Sludge, so I wasn't aware of the double-hinging forearms.

The other route they could take is simply shortening the forearms a tad so that the fists wouldn't need to fold in.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's what I was thinking. But Sludge also has the chest cavity for storing the fists in should that be needed.

13. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I saw someone mention that Slag's fists can store in his chest. Can you do the same on Snarl?

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Snarl is a real tight fit. With exact placement, maybe, but I can never get the chest door shut all the way. But it's soooooooooo close, so I could just be doing it worng.

15. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

yeah. great toy. almost felt like buying a G1 toy all over again.

16. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I got mine today - only issues I had were with Grimlock - I had the wrong card in the box (Slags, not Grimmy's) and there were paint chips on the red sections out of the box, which sucks *pout*

Also, the tail is so tightly shut together that I dare not put any more pressure on it. I may buy another one to get the right card (hopefully) and so that I can try and force him into robot mode, where hopefully he won't be chipped :/

17. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    I was worried about mine too, but I just put the small flip-out file from my twist-tie destroying nail clippers in between the halfs and gently and slowly pried it open. Then my beef was with the screws Cheebs mentioned that are forced loose by swinging the tail halfs out...but I stand by my original feedback posted in this thread! lol

Oh and too bad about getting the wrong card, maybe someone else got two grimnlock cards and you can switch them out using the Junkion exchange?

18. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    That's a good point, I may try the Exchange. Although I'll likely by another Grimlock anyway as they're cheap and it'd be nice to have them in both modes. I did eventually transform him (I used a craft knife and avoided scratching the chrome) and he's utterly beautiful.

Whilst I like the classics line, seeing these guys just makes me all nostalgic, and you wonder why Takara couldn't just go back to the original molds and update them (like JIT did with Grimlock's head) and maybe add some ball joints for more pose-ability. I'd buy 'em!

19. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    I'd jump all over those if Takara would do that...though I'd even go for straight up reissues. Honestly, I'd buy three of each, and I'm considering buying one more each of Grimlock Slag and Snarl too...

20. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I wish Takara would reissue the Dinobots....

BTW I finally got an e-mail from TFsource saying my order has been shipped :thumb