Writer's Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Adamczuk, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Adamczuk

Adamczuk Well-Known Member

I have been try to write a Fanfic for a while now, but I have a serious problem. I love to write and I have many ideas, but when ever I sit down to write, my mind jumps between ideas. I'm indecisive and what story I want to write changes from day to day. I just can't stick to one idea and just write a story. So far I have never finished a story (I think the closest I've gotten is 7 chapters.). It also doesn't help that I have writer's blocks which can last half a year! Does anyone have any advice or solution to my problem?

2. Sithknight1001

Sithknight1001 The "Fallen-er" Fallen

I have the same problem with trying to write a stopmotion. What I do is play around with a story with out writing it and when you get it working go with it.

3. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well what's your story about ?

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Hmm, I'd say catchphrases, yknow like , write down stuff like "poisonous flowers" on a piece of paper, Well, later if you read poisonous flowers, youll know almost exactly what you were thinking about! Well, almost hopefully lol! What do they coin that like cognizant memory or something like that....more of a sequence, rather than a phrase might help too. Alot of people have different ways to recognize and remember. Colors, shapes might be your thing.....

5. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    i thnk his problem is he cant stick in just one idea, mmm have you traed to "mix" all the ideas? i mean you said your ideas change every day, so just write them and then mix all, in one story
    XP sometimes it helps
    SOMETIMES

6. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I'm a developer/architect by trade and my approach to writing reflects how I approach my work. I began writing, without any formal training/experience which was both good and bad. The good thing was I started out by outlining my story. I would create short chapter descriptions, with key moments briefly described. I would also create what would amount to virtual database of characters, locations, and other miscellaneous items for reference purposes.

I use MindManager for my stories (Experience the power of visualization with Mindjet). It's an amazing tool for anything that seems too complex to tackle in one swoop. You can start throwing ideas down on it and then organize them as you like. You can find free mind mapping software by clicking here if you don't want to pay for MindJet, but IMHO Mindjet is the best one out there for my money.

Now, the downside to how I write is that at times my writing doesn't line up with my story, then there's hell to pay. lol Of course, that's when MindJet really pays off, as I can quickly reorganize my outline.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me with any other questions as I may lose track of this thread.

7. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Oh, one other thing. If you are just learning to write, be sure to check out Unleash Your Imagination - FanFiction.Net as you can post your stories and have them reviewed by other writers there. Plus, you can become a reviewer and review others works as well, which can help you with your own writing. Anytime you have to read something, and check it for correctness, it reinforces your own innate writing skills.

8. Adamczuk

Adamczuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. The main problem is that I can develop an idea (For Example, a Parody I'm attempting to write right now. I've developed several key scenes and the basic plot.) but I have so many ideas, that I don't know which one to do. I’m very indecisive and I can't stay focused on one project without thinking of the others. I also hate myself for not finishing it, which is why I attempt to finish the story before posting it, so I don’t let people down. This means that I can’t really get people to critics my work.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Sometimes its good to have multiple projects. Use that to your advantage. When you get stuck on one move to another that inspires you, that will keep you writing so you are accomplishing something. Then when you get stuck on that second project you can go back to the first and look at it with fresh eyes.

10. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I found it easier to know how it begins and ends and just let how it all plays out come to you. Any ideas that come that take place far from your current position are best jotted down so you don't forget. And music. Music can often be just inspiration needed to push you in the right direction.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I have the same problem. What I did was write down different ideas and start with the ones I can obviously work together. As you go on you get a better idea of where your story's going and how the other ideas can/can't fit. The hardest part is sitting down and realising which ideas won't work, as good as they sound.

And boy do I know about not finishing shit. A possible soultion is make as many chapters/segments resolve themselves, so that even if you don't get around to more, the chapters aren't left with a cliffhanger.