Heavy/Scratch: Wrecker: Sandstorm!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by javaco, Nov 5, 2011.

1. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    Wrecker: Sandstorm! WIP

got the DOTM Sandstorm mold and was trying to figure out a character to make him into.
    beachcomber was a good choice, but this mold felt like a wrecker which beachcomber is not.
    so i decided how bout just Sandstorm. but it won't be a triple changer unfortunately.
    i wanted to change the scale of the vehicle. making it less stubby, and more like his g1 feel. as well as adding the cockpit section on his chest for robot mode.

-i made the chest out of styrene and used some gundam figure joints to allow it rotate up.
    -i will be boxing him up basically. using apoxie sculpt to fill in gaps on his arms and legs, then using styrene to detail him out.
    -i swapped the head from universe 2.0 hound. and added a better neck joint.
    -I'm planning also to use the same gun, but flip it upside down. looks better that way to me.
    -also i have to add to the body of the vehicle mode, to fill in the gaps where the cage was for the HA figure.

Update 2/9/12
    big update! re made the legs with styrene. more simple and smooth. i do want to add some detail tho.
    i also fixed the BIG gap in vehicle mode by using lego hinges and styrene. i do need to fix one part so it can slide better into place for robot mode. but i just moved the piece over to show how it will look.
    its definitely not flush and a clean vehicle mode. but i figure when thats all painted it won't look so bad. i will try my best to fill in gaps tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my favorite part haha
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    That'll be a neat project. Hope it turns out well.

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Alright, I know you don't want to make it a triple changer, but i think there's a way that you could incorporate some parts from the HA basic whirl figure and get it to do that.
    Since the head is on the top, and the chest is being covered by the windshield piece you made, if you hollowed out the mid section (where the missle pod was), you could potentially attach the helicopter blades in the back and have them go through the entire middle section. Not sure how they'd come out for copter mode, but it could be pretty cool.
    I've alwasy liked sandstrom. I always thought his original transformation was kinda clever, and i think he's one of the few triple changers that look good in both modes (astrotrain has the boxy front in shuttle mode, otherwise it'd be #1, followed by blitzwing)

very cool progress, and i'll be checking back on this often.

Randy!

4. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    thanks!

yeah i thought about making him one. but its the giant wheels that ruin it. theres not a good place to hide them in a helicopter mode.

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I'm in the beginning stages of making this guy into Beechcomber, andI too am using Hound's head.

Have you encountered the same issue of making it fit in the housing as the bars flip forward?

6. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    yeah. i kinda shaved off a little big of the housing. but i think I'm just going to make a new one out of styrene once i plan out more.

i have NO clue how to fill in the gaps on the sides of the vehicle mode tho. nothing i can think of would work nicely with both robot and vehicle mode

7. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! Here comes another champion!

I'll be looking fwd to seeing him done bro, you never dissapoint ;) 

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Any reason not to just ditch the internal rocket tubes, and mount the head directly inside the body? That way you could ditch the "housing" and that hinged neck plate altogether. Since you're giving him a roof, there's no reason to keep the rollbars.

You could probably mount some side panels/doors on the same points as the lower rollbar, and simply rotate them out of the way for robot mode.

Like a lot of people, I've been playing with this mold recently (towards a Beachcomber), and I think there's potential to rethink the basic format of the vehicle mode, since it was a fairly simple, "open" concept to begin with.

zmog

9. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    thanks man! it means a lot coming from you! haha

i never really thought of that. i did take out he missile tubes tho. maybe i could make some sort of hinge to rotate his head up from the inner body. then a flap to cover it up in vehicle mode as well as help to keep the head stable in robot mode.

i wish i brought more of my parts to my college apartment. i just got back and was working on him at home. all i brought up were some basic tools and styrene.

10. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    What exactly do you mean by "rethink the basic format of the vehicle mode"?

I've looked at it and have come to the conclusion that there's not much more you can do for the vehicle mode. I've looked at what becomes the feet, and it doesn't really lend itself to modification to become legs like Beechcomber.

11. SMOG

What I mean is just that his transformation is so basic that you can get away with shifting some of the elements a bit without throwing it all off... as opposed to a more complex transformation where everything has to fit just so, y'know?

Like, his buggy mode is basic enough that you can stretch it or squish it a bit, and it still looks like a buggy (or no less than it did before, at least). Nothing radical, but I guess I'd call it "wiggle room".

As for the feet, this is what I came up with... it gives him a smaller footprint, and more oldschool shins, though of course that also means that he isn't quite as easy to pose (those HUGE feet made him pretty solid). It's a loooong way from finished, but you get the idea...
    [​IMG]

Heh... and of course, he's standing in front of lefty commie literature, damn hippy beatnik pinko! :D 

zmog

Attached Files:

12. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    holy shit... i might have to steal those feet!
    that looks so sooo sweet!

13. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Rather than further hijack this thread, I started another in Creative general Discussion.

14. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

^what head is that you got on there Zmog?

15. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:

looks like he's using a cybertron red alert head with piece on top

16. SMOG

Be my guest! :D  It's not hard to do either, though it requires a little bit of cutting. If you decide to try it, if you leave the right amount of space, his shins will still "lock" in place pretty firmly.

Like I said, he's a little bit trickier to pose on those smaller feet... he still stands up though. I may add a stabilizing spur if I can get it to hid nicely.

A general Beachcomber discussion?

Yup. The head crest is just a piece of square plastic, but I'm hoping to make a streamlined version of the head later.

zmog

17. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i gave it a try and it looked kinda weird in person. i think I'm gonna stick to the big feet.

18. SMOG

Yeah, I was going back and forth myself... the solidity of the big feet is nice. What's surprising is that he really doesn't gain any height with that mod.

I think one of the issues with this mold is not his really his feet, but how long and skinny his legs are in relation to his relatively short body, and what that does to his proportions. For Beachcomber, I think the leg mod works, but for your Sandstorm maybe not, especially with the new proportions created by the chest piece you made. Sandstorm always felt like a different "scale", y'know?

I'm liking the vehicle mode pics! I think you could probably mount some side panels on those lower rollbars, so they tuck away in bot mode.

zmog

19. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    yeah it just making his legs look even more skinny to me at least.
    last night i added some apoxy sculpt on his legs and arms. and i today I'm going to add styrene to make them look more boxy and a little bulkier.

with the vehicle, i think ill try adding some sort of door panel that will use a 3 mm clip with a ball joint on the other end, just so its go more movement to tuck in nicely in robot mode.

20. SMOG

Weird, for me it's totally the opposite, because it beefs up his ankle/calf area, instead of flowing from skinny legs directly into those big stompy feet that look too heavy for his legs to lift. My only issue with the new position is that he falls over more easily, though he does have double ankle articulation, which helps.

Did you actually do the cutting necessary on the feet and go through with it, or did you just sort of mock it up to test it without cutting?

3mm clip! OMG! That's brilliant... so obvious, I can't believe it didn't occur to me! All you have to do is cut the weapon part off an existing clip weapon, and you're good to glue on a door panel! Plus besides the balljoint, the clip will also allow you to slide the panels up and down the rollbar for ideal positioning in both modes!

May I suggest the yellow clip-blades from the new HA Dragstrip? You might even just be able to cut them into the shape you need, and they already have a clip/balljoint (plus I don't find they contribute much to the Dragstrip figure, besides additional kibble).

zmog